Aftermarket clutches

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2000, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket clutches

What kind of experiences has everyone had with say Centerforce or the like? Not having clutch trouble yet but I am soon going to 35's and I will keep my 3.55 rear end until I get enough money to go with 4.10's. So I figure I will have to clutch it off the line a lot. Clutch wear is inevitable.

------------------
97 4X4 Flareside 4.6 5-Speed, Superchip, ASP underdrives, Airaid, Dynamax headers, Borla Cat-back, 5% Tint, 285/75/16, 16x8 Baha's, Rancho 9000's.

Soon to come:
3" body lift, 315/75/16 BFG KO's

Old 03-17-2000, 06:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't bother upgrading the clutches, the factory ones are better than the aftermarket ones, or at best, teh aftermarket ones are actaully teh same part (really, we get tehm from Borg Warner, so do they)
GBE

Old 03-17-2000, 07:25 AM
Don
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the misfortune of having to educate myself on clutch design and manufacturers. OEM clutches available as direct replacement are designed for a specific application. The clutch size, material, clamp force, and damper springs are selective. When a vehicle's torque, weight, or effective axle ratio, (tire height) are changed the cluth performance will be effected. To spare you a lengthy dissertation, I learned the Center Force duel friction clutch is the best available to resolve chatter associated to the mentioned changes. However, you must comunicate to them exactly what the application is.

Old 03-18-2000, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, don is right about one thing, Ford designs them for the way Ford builds the truck, and if you go outside of those parameters, some aftermarket is called for, I think I should re-phrase what i said, and say that be very careful about buying aftermarket and know that who you're dealing with is a class outfit, because a lot of them aren't. Yes, I think that is a better statement.

GBE

Quick Reply: Aftermarket clutches