1999 f-150 4.6l which tranny fluid to use ?? and ? changing tranny filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2000, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 f-150 4.6l which tranny fluid to use ?? and ? changing tranny filter

1999 4.6 auto do i use mercron V ? also when you drop the pan is the filter held on with screws?? how do u in stall new filter and what is the plastic plug they say will be floating in the pan ??
thanks

Old 02-10-2000, 09:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
now I haven't done a brand new truck, but my wife's 1997 cougar I regularly serviced the automatic transmission and and it has the 4.6 engine. You want to slowly unscrew the bolts eventually allowing only one side of the pan to lower a line the fluid to spill out. The filter is held in by a rubber O ring of which a round plastic pipe like object slides into which is mounted on the filter. The filter is held in place just by the pressure created by the tight fit of the pipe and o ring. One of the secrets that I use when reinstalling the pan is to apply a few small dabs of silicone to the surface of pan to hold the gasket in place. I highly recommend you use eight torque wrench to tighten the bolts since the housing is aluminum and don't forget to use anti-lock compound on the bolts. Check your owner's manual for the proper fluid.

------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Old 02-10-2000, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The type of fluid required will be printed on the dipstick handle.

Don't know about screws holding the filter.

The plastic plug is to keep dirt out of the tranny when it is sitting at the factory.

Old 02-11-2000, 11:00 AM
I think Mercon V was in your 99. Don't forget to replace the magnet in the pan. No screws on the filter.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler,Class III Reece load distributing hitch system and wiring, Electronic Brake controller, Superchip

Old 02-11-2000, 01:56 PM
rangerr91

beechkid is right about the trans filter. All you have to do is pull it right out and maybe add a twist in also.

98 Nascar Edition

homepage http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/jackhel/index.html

POWERDYNE SUPERCHARGER, SUPERCHIP, AUTOMETER BOOST GAUGE AND POD, K&N FILTER, TRANS GO PERFORMANCE SHIFT KIT, DYNOMAX ULTRA FLOW EXHAUST, GUTTED MAF, 4.10 REAR END GEARS, XTRA BRITE HALOGEN LITES, AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Motor Oil , G-Tech Pro Series II, AND SOME OTHER STUFF I CAN'T REMEMBER

Old 02-11-2000, 04:29 PM
You should leave the filter and pan alone if it not leeking, there is a new way of doing the tranny fulid it is a tranny flush this id done by removeing the top tranny cooler hose from the raditor and hooking both ends up to a michine it does not push preasure into the system and it removes 100% of the fulid where the pan drop your only going to get around 4 to 5 qts. I work at a Jiffy Lube and we do this have done it on all of my cars and have done it on hundreds of cars and not 1 problem. this is something that you might want to look in. my $0.02 here...Jiffy Lube charges 79.99 to do this.

Forgot to tell you that it does tell you if the filter is bad and will flush out the filter..
------------------
1999 F150 BRIGHT RED EXTENDED CAB 4x4 OFF ROAD, WITH GRAY INTERIOR, 5.4L, 3.73 GEARS, ADD ON'S BELOW
ACCESS TUNNEL COVER
STAINLESS STEEL NERF BARS
STAINLESS STEEL ROCKER PANNELS
FLOWMASTER EXHAUST
LUND BUG GUARD
GTS HEAD LIGHT COVERS
K&N AIR FILTER W/ AIR BOX MOD
PUTCO BED RAILS
RED STERING WHEEL COVER
PIONNEER CD DECK
WISH LIST: F1 RAM AIR HOOD, TINTED SIDE WINDOWS, BRUSHGUARD, WIPER CRAWL, VISOR, LIFT W/ 34" TIRES, ECT,ECT...

[This message has been edited by MN99F150-1 (edited 02-11-2000).]

Old 02-12-2000, 02:13 AM
Cool

Although the transmission fluid exchange machine is a good idea. It's also nice to be able to look at what's in the pan. Your truck is equipped with a 4R70W transmission. The trans filter is not held in with bolts, just pressed in to the valve body. Make sure you remove the old seal prior to installing the new filter. The 4R70W takes Mercon V fluid. Also at the bottom of the bellhousing there is a round rubber plug. If you remove this plug and turn the engine over by hand you will see the torque converter drain plug. If your going to change the fluid you should drain out the converter as well. The plug you will find in the pan is from the assembly line. When the factory installs the trans dipstick the plug is just pushed into the pan. Hope this anwers your questions.

Old 02-12-2000, 06:20 PM
While I like the tranny flush very much as apposed to just a drain I would still change the filter. That is what Ford does.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler,Class III Reece load distributing hitch system and wiring, Electronic Brake controller, Superchip

Old 02-12-2000, 08:21 PM
If Jiffy only charges $79 for a synthetic (Mercon V) flush I would jump on it. The tranny fluid alone is around $5.00 a quart. I think these tranny take 12 - 14 quarts so $79 isn't to bad.

Personnaly I like to change my old fluid and with a little extra work I drain the torque convertor too. Not a bad job after I realized that the weight of the fluid makes the pan almost unmaneageable for one person. I used some tie wire to hold one side of the pan (leaving the screws in won't get enough of the fluid out to lighten the pan) the job is much cleaner.

Good luck

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat, Flareside, white/sliver, SC, ORP, 5.4 (FQR 8/99) running Mobil 1
Mods: 305/70/16 GY ATS, AR Baja wheels, dual exhaust, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Filter, Carbon Fiber Bug Gaurd and rigged the fog lights too.

www.fseries.com

Quick Reply: 1999 f-150 4.6l which tranny fluid to use ?? and ? changing tranny filter