Cost To Install TransGo Shift Kit??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost To Install TransGo Shift Kit??!!!

What Can I Expect To Pay For An Install ...

I know prices vary a lot across the country. Our prices are very high up here in the Northwest. $80/hour shop time at Ford. But local transmission shops might be a little less. How long does it
take to change out the fluid and drop in the TransGo Shift Kit?

Summit Racing has the TransGo Kit in their catalog. But, I am wondering what you guys had to pay to have it installed in your tranny? I have the 4-speed Automatic behind a 4.6 V8. Can anyone give me an idea?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BillVoyles
'99 Red Reg.Cab Flareside

Last edited by Bill Voyles; 11-17-2001 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you could find a shop to do the install it would take them about 4 to 5 hours (at least that is what it took me). I would think most shops would not want to do the install because they would not want to be under the gun for complaints if you did not like the results.
Why not jack it up and do it yourself? Not that hard and I had never been past a fluid/filter change before.
Good luck.

Old 11-18-2001, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Try doing it yourself! It's very easy. It only took me about 2.5 hours max. Why give someone else your hard earned money when you can do it yourself!

Old 11-18-2001, 05:28 PM
I did the install myself, a non professional mechanic. It took 5 hours, but most of my time was spent going over each task to make sure I did not forget anything. This is probably the best mod to my truck yet - love the shifting power! Do it yourself, you'll be glad you did.

Old 11-18-2001, 07:27 PM
Hey Bill Voyles,

I am looking to do this mod to. I will for sure being doing it myself though. Thanks to T Ellenberger, I got some details on cost, time and results. Sounds fairly easy to me 'cause I used to rebuild automatic transmissions in the late '70s.

If you have never worked on engines or transmissions, then you need to go slow and take your time 'cause a transmission is the most complicated part of any vehicle. I'm sure that if you do it you must have the confidence or you wouldn't even try.

Actually, I used to build racing automatics in the early '80s and have installed many shift kits as well as making my own mods too. It's been so many years and things have changed so much that I too looked to Ted for some extra advise as I know first hand how fast things can go wrong with transmissions and it's a major pain to keep removing the pan and oil if you run into difficulties.

Some History:
I had to remove and totally overhaul a THM 400 in a chevy product eight times until I finally threw it out the back door of the AAMCO shop I was working at in the late '70s. Got another 400 case and built it from scratch and it worked perfect the first time. Never was able to find out the problem with the first case but I destroyed it so no one else would ever have that problem with that case again, including myself.

Had many many Ford Pinto's that after a transmission oil change the transmission would not work at all. The only thing we could determine is the oil was so thick and contaminated with particles and sludge that it allowed the tranny to continue to work. With fresh new clean oil, there was just too much oil bypassing hardened seals so the system pressure could not rise enough to hold the clutch packs together and slipping occured. The only thing to do at that point was to rebuild the tranny. Imagine the look on customer's faces when the come in for an tranny oil change and we have to tell them they need an overhaul to make it back home in that car. Folks always said we were ripping them off but really the tranny was fried 'cause the oil was brown and stunk to high heaven and usually the car had lots of miles on it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out no matter who does the work.

DaveMan

Old 11-19-2001, 02:47 PM
Cool

What should one expect to pay for the transgo kit?
Terry

Old 11-19-2001, 04:54 PM
I paid $125.00 from http://www.txchange.com/main.htm that encluded shipping.

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2001, 07:00 PM
I paid $97 plus shipping at www.truckperformance.com

However, right now they have free shipping so there you go!

Old 12-09-2001, 06:26 PM
in the '39 it was $250 total. Kit and install. Talk to a tranny shop.

Old 12-11-2001, 10:45 AM
Check out:
www.jdsperformance.com

anyone ever used them before. They have the transgo shift kits for $89. I think they are offering free shipping right now.

Quick Reply: Cost To Install TransGo Shift Kit??!!!