Transmission "Thud"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission "Thud"

My 2002 Supercrew has developed a sporadic 'thud' in the transmission. It happens immediately when normally accelerating from a stop. Local Ford dealer says they have not heard of any similiar complaints. I do know of at least one other Supercrew owner that experiences the 'thud' 1 out of 10 starts. Any help would be appreciated. The trans shifts fine otherwise.

Old 11-21-2001, 01:07 PM
Are you sure it's in the trans? My 97 F150 SC auto 4.6L 4x4 had a thud noise from a dead stop at about 100,000 miles. It would come and go. Solution: lubricate splines on driveshaft. That took care of the problem. It's back again, but I know what I have to do.

Also, don't believe the dealer when your rear pinion seal starts to leak and they want $350 to replace it. Take it to your local ring & pinion shop and have them do it for $65.

Good Luck!

Andrew

Old 11-22-2001, 06:37 AM
Thanks Andrew for your reply. I will check into the driveshaft. The dealer had actually mentioned 'slack' in the driveshaft as one possiblity for the noise. When I pull off from a stop with more speed, I don't notice the 'thud'. It's the gentle starts where it is most noticeable.

Old 11-25-2001, 03:06 PM
MJD
Angry

My trans. is doing the same on my '01 Supercab. It's about the same frequency as you desribed above but I have notived that is is more prevalent on slight uphills. It seems to be down shifting very hard which sends a "jolt" through the truck. Very annoying.

Also, I have noticed what sounds to me like a "dry bearing squeek" comming from the maunal 4WD shifter, but only at high way speeds. Any experiences with this? I don't think anything is worn since it has 1400 miles on the truck.

Old 11-25-2001, 03:08 PM
MJD
Angry

My trans. is doing the same on my '01 Supercab. It's about the same frequency as you desribed above but I have noticed that is is more prevalent on slight uphills. It seems to be down shifting very hard which sends a "jolt" through the truck. Very annoying.

Also, I have noticed what sounds to me like a "dry bearing squeek" comming from the maunal 4WD shifter, but only at high way speeds. Any experiences with this? I don't think anything is worn since it has 1400 miles on the truck.

Old 11-27-2001, 07:24 AM
MJD,

I have not had problem with any shifting. Other than the 'thud' on takeoff (which has lessened in the past few days), the trans shifts fine. I plan to still checkout lubing the driveshaft splines and any other driveline adjustments the dealer could checkout.

Old 12-05-2001, 03:04 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 2002 supercrew. I'm not really sure if it's a 'problem', but I'm going to have it looked at anyway. Hope I find something out, it's just annoying at this point.

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2001, 09:12 AM
kev
I just had the same problem with my 99 4x4 SC. I originally had a worn u-joint. So I replaced it, but didn't lube the splines at the slip yoke before assembling. Well in less than a week I installed a 3in body lift. After installing the body lift, I noticed the 'thud' that you described. Well after countless hours of checking everything involved with the body lift to determine were this 'thud' originated from, I finally released it was the slip yoke at the driveshaft. So I removed the shaft, lubricated with standard greese, reassembled, and no more thud. Easy fix, just wish I would have noticed it before I installed the lift.

kev

Old 12-06-2001, 10:02 AM
Make sure you put lock tite on those 12 points you take out of the drive shaft. Or, replace them with new ones that already have it on them.

Old 12-08-2001, 07:58 PM
Lightbulb Thud

Ford has a TSB on that problem. The drive shaft needs to be lubed.

Don

Old 12-09-2001, 07:37 PM
Re: Thud

Originally posted by dnaber
Ford has a TSB on that problem. The drive shaft needs to be lubed.

Don

Kev already said that!!!

Old 12-10-2001, 11:23 AM
Re: Re: Thud

Originally posted by Eduk8er

Kev already said that!!!

EXCUSE ME !!!!!

I didn't see anyone make mention of the TSB.

Old 12-11-2001, 09:49 AM
Re: Re: Re: Thud

Originally posted by dnaber

EXCUSE ME !!!!!

I didn't see anyone make mention of the TSB.
Sorry about that. This horse has been beat to death on earlier threads in Transmisions and in Suspensions. Wish folks would do a search first, and then ask but heck, guess that's what were here for.

Quick Reply: Transmission "Thud"