F150 not going into gear after valve body check

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 not going into gear after valve body check

Pulled pan and valve body to check on my lost overdrive and got everything back together but now it won't engage gear and won't shift down to 1-2. I topped off fluid about six courts so far and it says it's high so not sure if I need to keep waiting for fluid to go through or what, since it won't even shift. I pulled about 8 quarts out of it so shouldnt be high. Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:56 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Okay - and what year, engine and transmission do you have?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM
I have a 4r70w in a 2002 4x4. I figured out the first problem...the manual value was not correctly positioned. Got it back together and had it on blocks, ran through gears and everything worked fine. Went for a test drive a couple blocks (into a dead end) and reverse went out and now neutral goes forward. Anyone else have this type of issue or anything I should look for? It was going in reverse when i had it on blocks. now won't go anywhere on blocks in reverse.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Sounds like the MLPS or the shift cable slipped. Time to go back under and adjust everything again.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Could this be the mlps? Searching through forums I can't find any issues like this with mlps. Is there a way to test that part? I have no codes right now being thrown and the cable itself from outside looked ok. Won't be tearing back into it till prob Sunday at this point

Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 PM
forward in all gears, mlps or worse?

2002 f150 5.4 with 4r70w

had issues with it not going into overdrive so i pulled the valve body twice. First time it was going into reverse just fine up on the stands then went for a test drive and lost reverse. Now reverse just goes into forward gear. Now I know i don't have enough fluid in it yet (mlps is out of alignment, my second question), but its going into forward gear when put into reverse...could this be the mlps?

I did finally get an O/D light blink and will have to wait till tomorrow to check that out. pretty sure the mlps is out of whack, so I'm wondering if its worth the $50 to try a new one or if the trans is bad or not with the forward issue. Also, how do u adjust the mlps on this truck? I don't see an alignment thing??

Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
5.0, Rather than start a new thread with this continuing problem, it would be better to keep it in a single thread so that anyone who might be able to help has all the information in one place.

Sounds like you have an interesting problem. Hope you get it resolved soon.

- Jack

Quick Reply: F150 not going into gear after valve body check