Aw crap, there goes NCSU's tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A trans repair is cheaper than a new truck, especially when it happens suddenly like yours and mine. I want a new truck this fall, so I was willing to repair the current one based on not knowing what I want yet or being financially ready just yet; plus I want to keep this truck even after a new one. Best of luck getting it all repaired!

I am also hedging the bets that after gas prices sky rocket and the truck market takes a hit that it will be a great time to buy. I also really want a raptor, so I am watching those closely but I don't think even with high gas prices and slow sales prices on an Raptor will get much better. Plus the 2012 Model year raptors are rumored to have some sweet new goodies If I didn't roll with a raptor I guess I'd consider a platinum

Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FX4life
A trans repair is cheaper than a new truck, especially when it happens suddenly like yours and mine. I want a new truck this fall, so I was willing to repair the current one based on not knowing what I want yet or being financially ready just yet; plus I want to keep this truck even after a new one. Best of luck getting it all repaired!

I am also hedging the bets that after gas prices sky rocket and the truck market takes a hit that it will be a great time to buy. I also really want a raptor, so I am watching those closely but I don't think even with high gas prices and slow sales prices on an Raptor will get much better. Plus the 2012 Model year raptors are rumored to have some sweet new goodies If I didn't roll with a raptor I guess I'd consider a platinum
What are some of of the "goodies" you speak of

Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 PM

x2 ^

Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
$16K Matt?? Are you high?? For private party I wouldn't let it go for anything less than $25k!

Originally Posted by FX4life
I think that's the route I'm going to go. The dealership even said they'd credit the $200 a spent today towards the cost of a replacement tranny.

Carmax does have 2 Raptors in stock.... one with 3k miles for $43k and one with 17k miles for $39K but I think they both have the 5.4 in them

- NCSU

Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
3200 would be a decent down payment on a new truck.....

and from what ive heard, its hard to beat the new 6.2L

Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shanks12
What are some of of the "goodies" you speak of
It is looking like Race red may make a debut in the color line up (at least I hope so, current raptor owners say it won't because it's too close to molten orange).

A lot of rumors are rolling about about some minor cosmetic changes.

Possible front locker

possible heated rear seats, but for sure heated (already has) front seats will be accompanied by cooled seats

Unique interior lighting kit, and possibly more interior color options.

LED running lights and rumored but doubtful a set of LED tails (this is as likely as the EB... )

The one rumor already busted was that the EB might make a debut in raptor form, however ford squashed that rumor quickly confirming only the 6.2L for the raptor in 2012.

All of this is purely rumor at the moment, the only thing confirmed is the seats (per someone who knew the manuf.) and some pictures obtained by Pickuptrucks.com of the LED DRL's and what looks like race red color (I still say its orange, just in really bright direct sunlight )

NCSU-- Raptors have crazy resale value! Some used raptors are being sold for just about 1-3k under new sticker prices even with 10-20k. It literally is just about better to pick up a brand new one vs. a used one, at least at this point in time. We will see later this summer how used resale holds up. I know over on FRF (raptor forum) guys are already seeing 120-160 dollar fill ups!

Last edited by FX4life; 03-02-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Why on earth would you get a new truck over a few thousand dollar repair? That's an easy decision imo if you really want to keep your truck

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Why on earth would you get a new truck over a few thousand dollar repair? That's an easy decision imo if you really want to keep your truck
The lure of a new truck is fueled by several things, some practical, some not. I'd pick up a new set of warranties since all mine are now expired. I'd get to start the modding process again. The new 6-speed transmission and 6.2L engine really peak my interest. Of course the more I look at that black Raptor I posted above, the more I'd really like to just go back and pick it up! I think the sticker on that one was around $54k! I just wish there were better places are here to use a truck like that.

I think the reasonable thing to do is fix this one, wait a few years until the rest of my student loan is paid off, then think about a new vehicle.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 03-02-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Na. Save money. Sell current, buy a Civic, and join a Honda forum.

edit: Chevy Cruze is reportedly hitting 58mpg.

Last edited by mblouir; 03-02-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
The lure of a new truck is fueled by several things, some practical, some not. I'd pick up a new set of warranties since all mine are now expired. I'd get to start the modding process again. The new 6-speed transmission and 6.2L engine really peak my interest. Of course the more I look at that black Raptor I posted above, the more I'd really like to just go back and pick it up! I think the sticker on that one was around $54k! I just wish there were better places are here to use a truck like that.

I think the reasonable thing to do is fix this one, wait a few years until the rest of my student loan is paid off, then think about a new vehicle.

- NCSU
Exactly right. You've got a few years on me Steve, but that's what I would do. You'll come out ahead if you keep the truck I would say

Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4

- NCSU
You could easily pick that up for invoice which in some cases (depending on options) is around 48k. Most guys getting raptor are paying right around invoice, some lucky SOB's are getting below invoice. One guy even used an A-plan pin.. I didn't think that was possible, but if it is game on! I have a pin right now...

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Drdudsads
Or you could buy the cheapest Lariat with the 6.2 and 6 speed for $30K and leaves $15K on the table to outperform the raptor and any 13 sec vehicle that comes up next to you.

Or buy a diesel truck and do not look back!

This will take care of your raptor needs when you get the diesel.
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/fo.../coilover.html

Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM

NCSU----sorry to hear of your troubles. You do have a nice debate on your hands though that only YOU can decide: fix tranny or get a new truck.
Some things I'd like to point out:
Your truck is a 2005...6 years old
If you fix the tranny, what's to say some other catastrophic failure won't occur down the road?
Your MODS will gain you nothing hardly if you trade it and will still not get much to private party. Just because you may have spent thousands of dollars on stereo equipment or whatever doesn't mean that the buyer will want it or be willing to pay for it. About the only thing I've seen that will draw some people is lift/tires/wheels....and then you have to have someone who likes your style.
If you were gonna sell your truck, I think I'd put it as back to stock as possible then sell private party. If you still have your factory rims/tires, your aftermarket wheels could go on your new truck. (assuming the 05 and 11s have same bolt pattern)
You're always going to have a payment: Either it is a car payment or it is gonna be a repair bill. Only YOU can decide which is the lesser evil for YOU.

The Eco boost is getting some GREAT reviews from everything I've read. V8 power in a nice V6 GAS SAVING engine. Might want to at least consider it if you are leaning toward a new truck. Might help out when gas is $5!

Again, this is meant to help------------DirtySCREW

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Flipper - you just know these fellas are projecting aight?

I'd keep it - it's beautiful. Add one of Darrin's beasties, and invest what you just saved yerself.

MGD

Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Sorry about your luck on the trans. The new truck would be tempting but spending a few grand on a repair is probably best. What's the chances that something else major will happen? Properly maintained you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Since you already have student loans I would pay them off first prior to buying a new ride...no sense in adding another loan and paying more interest. I'm currently trying to save enough money to buy new truck in the next year or two and pay cash as I'm tired of having a loan on something that only goes down in value.

My trans has been making some strange shifts and if something does happen I'll be contacting Darrin as he is only about 30 miles from me.

Quick Reply: Aw crap, there goes NCSU's tranny...