Metal in my pan!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Metal in my pan!

I changed my transmission fluid this weekend and i found some metal shavings and alot of clutch material. this is after 62000 miles. does anyone know where the metal shavings could have came from?

and here is my new pan!

is there a way to get the big stock magnet onto my aluminum tci pan?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35s being driven by 3:55s is putting lot of stress on the internals of the trans-imho

Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only two times I found metal in my pan was
#1= broken stator support
#2= broken stub shaft

number one made all kind of clunking noises in front of tranny.. But still ran..

Number two only gave me first and second gears.. No od or third... Drove her 62 miles back home on first n second only ..temps never got above 225*...

More than likely neither of these two are your problem.. Were they metal shavings or aluminum? Some clutch material is normal over time..

Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The 'goo' looks about normal from here. The metal is another story. That doesn't look good. Impossible to tell where that came from long distance unfortunately or I would try to be of more help there.

You can epoxy a large metal washer around one of the lugs that hold the filter up and your magnet will stick to that.

Darrin

Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM
its definitely metal, because it was stuck to the magnet. but it the metal is really thin. its almost just like little slivers of metal. like something cut it off like a knife.

darrin, i was thinking of trying to pop off the magnet on the stock pan and JB welding it to my aluminum pan. is the stock magnet able to come off? would JB weld hold the magnet to the aluminum?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM
here are some more pics

Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know what that metal is from. That doesn't look good.

The magnet is just held to your pan by magnetism. It is that way so that it can be removed to clean. Don't glue it to the new pan or you won't be able to remove it to clean it. Instead, glue a large metal washer to the new pan. Place that washer around one of the aluminum legs that stick up from the bottom of the pan that are there to hold the filter in place. You can then attach the magnet to that washer via magnetism from the magnet and still have a removable magnet that you can clean easily. You want it around one of those posts so that it doesn't dislodge if you hit a huge bump or something.

Darrin

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 PM
oh, i was wondering what those posts in the pan were for. thanks. ill have to do that when i install my shift kit. maybe in 2 weeks.

the thing that bothers me about the metal is that i have no idea how long it has been there. i mean, it could have been there since day one or happened in the last week!!!

Quick Reply: Metal in my pan!