Weird transmission slip

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird transmission slip

My weird problem is this. If I take off quickly from a stop sign and am turning to the right, sometimes the truck will start to move, then act like it has been put into neutral and rev, then drop back into gear and go. It doesn't do it when I turn left or go straight. The only other time that I have noticed it is when on a steep downhill with a very sharp turn to the right, after going through the turn and starting to apply gas it will do the same. I am assuming it has something to do with the transmission and all fluids are full and appear to be in good shape. Could it possibly be something in the rear end maybe with the limited slip or a tranny problem or something else? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to venture a guess and say it is the differential, not the trans.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Either low trans fluid or the internal filter is the wrong one or not installed right.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 AM
The transmission fluid is full. Don't know about the internal filter, however I am in the middle of transmission service intervals and the slip started only a couple thousand miles ago. I pulled the differential filler plug to check the fluid level and there was quite the buildup of silver colored stuff on it. Almost was a paste type texture. I am assuming that is not a good sign. Also tried to duplicate the problem with just having the truck in first gear, and then just in second gear from a stop. Still happened both times. Only other issue is that on a couple occasions, after accelerating and letting off the gas, the truck wants to lunge forward before it shifts to a higher gear. Thanks for the replies and helpful information everyone.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:41 AM
What year of truck, this sounds like the common plague of the early transmissions with a flat pan. The patch was to overfill them to the D in don't.
If your transmission pan doesn't have a hump in it you will want to do that.
Alan

Old 08-28-2009, 05:54 AM

Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you haven't solved this yet, it does sound like a fluid pickup problem. I am betting that the last service saw the wrong filter making it's way into your truck. I woudl pull the pan and service the transmission again using the right filter and the proper amount of Mercon V. Bet that fixes it.

Darrin

Quick Reply: Weird transmission slip