New tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tranny fluid

i'm thinking of getting a tranny flush, I recently bought my truck and it's got 78000kms (46800miles), and not sure if its ever had one done.. I'm going to do a fair amount of towing so i want the best fluid. Any suggestions? I'm leaning on amsoil at the moment..

Old 11-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I like Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Have you tried amsoil? Do you know why mobil 1 might be better?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I didn't say Mobil 1 is better. I said I like it.

AMSOIL worries me. They don't submit their oils to the manufacturers to get a license that they meet the manufacturer's specs. AMSOIL says that their fluid meets the specs, but the manufacturers don't certify it. Ford issued a license to Mobil for their ATF because Mobil submitted fluid and it passed the tests.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 PM
i use penzoil, no problems

Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I didn't say Mobil 1 is better. I said I like it.

AMSOIL worries me. They don't submit their oils to the manufacturers to get a license that they meet the manufacturer's specs. AMSOIL says that their fluid meets the specs, but the manufacturers don't certify it. Ford issued a license to Mobil for their ATF because Mobil submitted fluid and it passed the tests.
Sweet! Yeah seems a bit shady of amsoil to not submit their oils.. I appreciate the help!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:46 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Ask anybody here who runs Amsoil tranny fluid how they like it and whether they have had any problems. I don't think you will have any issues, it's very high quality fluid, certified or not.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Let's just say that the fluid was changed just before the truck was sold to you. It won't hurt to do it again. But assuming it was not, it would be a good idea to do it now. While you're at it, drop the pan and change the filter, then replace the pan with a Mag-Hytec. I have used Lucas Oil & Royal Purple with no problems what-so-ever. No real brand loyalty here. Just what was available at a good price. Next time around, every 30,000 miles like it says in my maintenance schedule, I'm going with Red Line. I found some of it at a good price.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 AM
With almost 50K on the clock and no idea if the transmission fluid has ever been changed I would definitely change the fluid and the filter. Asking for advice about favorite transmission fluids will elicit a positive response for every brand on the shelf. The important thing is to use a fluid that is Mercon V compliant. If you plan on towing I would change the fluid every 30K regardless of the brand used. Towing can cause the transmission to run considerable hotter than normal and that degrades the fluid quickly.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Amsoil is a shocker - well IMO. If you have a Pod that reads tranny temps, note the difference from MercV vrs Amsoil - My trans has 256,000 miles on it now.

Yea, that's why Amsoils simply the best. Specially for the trans.

However, I would suggest a fluid transfer instead of a flush.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah Jbrew i helped shifty_85 install his gauges hes got a tranny gauge and it never gets about 160*'s he put amsoil in there after he got his tranny rebuilt. donno what the temps were before but he says now that its getting colder he rarely sees it go above 100* He wants to know when he should change the fluid and filter too

Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by masterbeatty
Yeah Jbrew i helped shifty_85 install his gauges hes got a tranny gauge and it never gets about 160*'s he put amsoil in there after he got his tranny rebuilt. donno what the temps were before but he says now that its getting colder he rarely sees it go above 100* He wants to know when he should change the fluid and filter too
I would just drain the pan every 15 thousand after a total fluid replacement. If shifty keeps on that, he shouldn't have any problems.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to accurately state the difference b/n a flush and a fluid transfer b/c the BG machine at Ford connects to the tranny cooler line on the front of the truck. They crank the truck, the machine uses the tranny pump to exchange the fluid. They call it a flush. Now, how is this different from a fluid transfer. I've researced this and it's been stated over and over that these flush/transfer machines use the regular operating tranny pressure to take out the old and put in the new. Please, somebody enlighten me on the difference b/c I keep hearing one's better and safer than the other yet I keep hearing they are one and the same....

Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The BG machine is a fluid transfer machine. It only becomes a "flush" if they pump cleaning chemicals through or use a pump in the machine to do the transfer.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by tomclem
I'm still waiting for someone to accurately state the difference b/n a flush and a fluid transfer b/c the BG machine at Ford connects to the tranny cooler line on the front of the truck.
That's because there both a type of Transfer/flush - Flush/transfer. I can try to explain what I know about it, but I'm not a tranny guy by trade.

Cooler line cough, flush/transfer machine cough, cough:

This type of flush/transfer machine connects into the transmission cooler lines. BG makes this kind and here is how it works. The line going from the transmission to the transmission cooler is disconnected and connected to the machine line in. The line out from the machine carrying new fluid is connected to the line going to the cooler. There is a chamber on the machine that has a diaphragm in it. The top part of the chamber above the diaphragm is filed with new fluid. The engine is started which turns the torque converter and the input shaft on the transmission. The input shaft turns the transmission pump and it makes hydraulic pressure. This causes fluid to flow through the cooler line. As fluid leaves the cooler line it enters the chamber on the flush machine. As the old fluid side of the diaphragm fills it pushes the diaphragm up and forces new fresh fluid into the transmission. After a while the old fluid is collected in the machine and it is replaced by new fluid. Now the transmission has been flushed in a sense. Really pretty simple. As you can see the machine cause no pressure and all fluid transfer is done by the transmission's own pump.

Here is what I do not like about this type of machine. When the fluid leaves the transmission pump it passes to two different pressure regulators. One regulator supplies fluid at one pressure to the transmission itself that operates the pistons and controls gear shifting. The other is supplies the torque converter and the transmission cooler. So you can see that all the fluid leaving the pump does not go to the cooler. A bunch of it is cycled through the transmission and dumped back to the pan without going through the cooler. This type of machine does not remove all the old fluid, but it continuously dilutes it down with new fluid. It never really removes all of the old fluid, but is far superior to just drain and fill.

The other thing I do not like about this type of flush is that they sell the supposed benefit that they do not have to drop the pan and change the filter like that is a benefit. Dropping the pan is very important. Looking in the pan is a fantastic diagnostic tool that can tell you if something is going wrong in your transmission. Now lets say some crud is flushed out of the trans with this flush method. Where does it go? It can go into the pan, and then sucked up into the filter that may clog the filter causing the pump to starve for fluid and a pressure loss. On the engine the filter is after the pump and if the filter gets clogged there is a bypass valve that opens and oil bypass the clogged filter so the engine is still supplied with oil. Unlike the engine oil pump and filter the filter is on the intake side of the pump. If it gets clogged, that is it, it is clogged and stuff does not get lubricated and the clutches do not get enough clamping pressure and they slip and burn up. In just a faction of a second you just bought a new transmission if the filter clogs.

**Pump inlet flush/transfer machine** ~

This is what you want IMO. This kind attaches to the pump intake after the pan and filter is removed. This machine only supplies fresh new fluid to the pump intake and as the fluid passes through the transmission it dumps out to a collection tray and never goes back through for a second pass. All of the old fluid and crud is GONE and replace with fresh new fluid. After the service a new filter is installed, the pan replaced and then it is topped off with new fluid to the proper level on the dipstick.

This process takes a total of 20 quarts of fluid to flush out 15 quarts of old fluid, replaces the fluid, and gives the mechanic the opportunity to look in the pan for anything unusual that would indicate a pending failure.

They say everyone should have this type of service done every 30,000 miles, - definitely before your truck goes out of warranty if that's the case. By looking in the pan you may get an indication that you are about to have transmission trouble that might show up right after you get out of warranty. For the ladder , older vehicles using Amsoil - Change the fluid/filter(just the fluid in the pan) every 15,000 is plenty good.

I will tell you that this type a flush does take more effort and makes more of a mess, costs a little more, but I think it is worth it.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-15-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: New tranny fluid