2004+ Trans Cooler Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2004+ Trans Cooler Upgrade

What is the best thing going for this right now. I am towing and think the stock cooler is a little wimpy. What should I replace it with?

Is this a drop in replacement?

Last edited by MeanGene; 08-12-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM
You can see by this screen capture of my DashHawk data log that my tranny temp was getting a little to high. The video is not that good, but it's the purple one which got up to around 228 degrees. Hense, my reason for asking about Transmission Cooler upgrades.

Oh, by the way since your going to YouTube check out this one on Norton Motorcycles, one of my favorite.

Last edited by MeanGene; 08-12-2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the one you already have is not as large as that one, then I'd say go for it. It says it's a replacement for your year F150, so it should be just a swap.

What engine do you have and does your truck have the factory tow package?

Nice setup you have there! Don't think I've ever seen a TT with a curb side slide before? How far does it slide out? Do you bump into it much while the awning is out?

Mitch

Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
If the one you already have is not as large as that one, then I'd say go for it. It says it's a replacement for your year F150, so it should be just a swap.

What engine do you have and does your truck have the factory tow package?

Nice setup you have there! Don't think I've ever seen a TT with a curb side slide before? How far does it slide out? Do you bump into it much while the awning is out?

Mitch
I have the factory tow package, 5.4L 3V with Banks Monster Exhaust and a Eckhart receiver (Weleded in), EAZ-Lift Sway Control, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, 15" rotors to slow it down.

The pop out extends around a foot and a half, yeah it can get in the way but the door steps that come out of the TT kind of lead you away from it, it has not been a problem.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I've got the B&M Racing Hi-Tek Automatic Transmission Cooling System

13-1/2"x9"x3-1/2" with 9-1/2" diameter fan

* Fin and plate cooler construction
* Includes 12 volt high flow fan
* Pressure tested to 200psi
* Units include 1/2 NPT fittings & thermal switch
* Easily adaptable to steel braided lines

The newest addition to B&M's line of SuperCooler fluid coolers is the Hi-Tek cooling system. Fitted with a high quality 12 volt electric fan and built-in mounting brackets, these coolers handle tough cooling jobs. They include a thermal switch to activate the fan when the fluid temperature reaches 175 degrees F. Can be used for racing, RV and street performance vehicles. Suitable for all fluid cooling needs including: automatic transmission fluid, engine oil, differential fluid, power steering and turbocharger oil in circle track, road racing, off-road, tractor pulling and monster truck applications.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info, that cooler looks nice. All of the Trans Coolers that I have looked at so far require that you cut the stock lines and graft in your Trans Cooler upgrade. Is there any Trans Cooler upgrade that uses the stock "quick-connect" connections?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Troyer Performance Active Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit
PPI-ATCKIT

For 1997 & up Ford F-series (all models including SVT Lightning, supercharged Harley, etc.), Expedition & SuperDuty series vehicles. Also for GM Trucks & SUV's, Dodge Trucks & SUV's, we provide vehicle-specific fittings where appropriate for any American Truck or SUV (FoMoCo, GM, or Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler) this unit is ordered for. This is done automatically based on the vehicle info you include when ordering with us online.

This kit includes:

1.) Highest efficiency Stacked Plate Remote Cooler, with no drop in fluid pressure.

2.) Inline Fluid Temperature Thermostat/Fan Controller.

3.) 400 CFM Electric Fan with fully enclosed and reverse-S shaped fan blades, already mounted onto the stacked plate cooler for you. This Fan will be controlled automatically by the inline thermostat once installed.

4.) Billet Aluminum Mounting Brackets already installed.

5.) Installation kit including 4 feet of Goodyear transmission fluid hose, -6AN fittings and 3/8" barb fittings, misc. additional mounting hardware, radiator fitting adapters for the type of vehicle specified during ordering (not always needed, but we include them so you have every option just in case!), hose clamps, screws, etc. etc.

Everything you need to do an installation is included. There is enough transmission fluid hose (4 ft.) to install this unit close to the engine, transmission fluid lines, radiator, etc. area, which is where we normally mount them in F-series vehicles, etc. You can mount this Remote Cooler anywhere of course, even all the way back at the rear of the vehicle if you like, all you'll need is longer length hose.

The cooler is designed to be a true remote-mount cooler you can install anywhere on the vehicle, as necessary airflow for cooling is supplied by the fan. With the inline thermostat installed on the inlet of the cooler and connected to the fan as per the included simple wiring diagram, the fan will activate automatically at 180 degrees of transmission fluid temperature, and deactivate once the fluid temperature has dropped to 170 degrees. This keeps the automatic transmission fluid temperature optimal, and within a narrowly defined range for most efficient operation and longest transmission service life.

This type of active cooler setup is the *only* way to ensure your automatic transmission fluid temperatures will not exceed 200 degrees, which happens frequently with the factory setup when driving at lower speeds or in city traffic, any time you are towing, going Offroad, any kind of racing (drag racing, four-wheeling, truck pulls, etc.).

Even with the auxiliary transmission coolers that come with factory towing packages & with heavy-duty cooling packages from the factory on trucks, SUV's & performance vehicles, your transmission fluid will *still* overheat in those conditions, because they are all *passive* coolers, with no airflow of their own, no type of active & positive thermostatic control to prevent overheating of the transmission fluid, and no way to accelerate the cooling of overheated fluid.

This is an especially critical issue with Ford automatic transmissions, which use shift solenoids attached to the valve body, as these shift solenoids are constantly bathed in the hot transmission fluid. Fluid temperatures over 190-200 degrees causes premature failure of the shift solenoids (which were a bit "weak" anyway up until about the 2000 model year or so), as well as premature wear on the friction materials such as clutches, steels, bands, etc.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey thanks for the info, any pics of one installed on an F150?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I'll see what I can do about lifting the hood and taking pictures of my truck under the hood.

Just between you and me; trucks aren't all that sexy.

I'd rather lift my girl's skirt and take pictures of my girl under her skirt. How about I post those pics instead?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM
My Girl

Old 08-29-2008, 01:08 PM
My Sister

(for James)

Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by MeanGene
Hey thanks for the info, any pics of one installed on an F150?
Here you go, Gene:

Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks, looks good. Made another trip this Labor Day weekend and sure could of used something better up those grades.

Quick Reply: 2004+ Trans Cooler Upgrade