Transmission overhaul at 23K miles??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission overhaul at 23K miles??

I was headed home from camping with my 2005 lariat 4X4 after pulling up a steady climb the overdrive went out. It just reved like it was in neutral. I took it in to the dealership yesterday. I thought that my warranty was up, but I have 2 weeks left on my warranty. I am not the original owner, I bought it 1.5 years ago with 13K miles on it.

They say they are going to have to overhaul the transmission. I was hoping that they would just replace the entire thing. Is the overhauled on just as good as a factory one?

I am a little surprised that I am having this problem with this low of miles, but I am very happy that it is under warranty.

I had a 97 supercab 4X4 with 150k miles on it and did not have any problems with it. I may be purchasing an extended warranty after this. How can I prevent problems in the future. I baby this truck. I come to a complete stop after reversing before I drive off. It also went out with no warning. I had the cruise control on and after it shifted from drive into overdrive, it just revved up.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It happens. There's a lot of moving parts and critical clearances in an automatic transmission, they can fail whenever they feel like it.

Overhauling is fine if your trans guy knows what he's doing. Besides, at 23K miles, you wouldn't be getting a new unit, you'd get one that someone else overhauled.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 PM
I had a superchips tuner program installed. It was set on 87 performance. It made the shifts very firm compaired to stock. Could this have caused my problems? I reverted back to the stock tune before I took it in of course

Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM
were you towing ? hauling heavy load ? Or just cruisin ? and I am assuming you have the 5.43v engine ?

You said when it went into OD it would just rev ? Did the other gears work (1st 2nd 3rd ?) ??

And how steep was this "steady climb" ?? How long were you doing the "steady climb" ?

Last edited by MercedesTech; 08-12-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aprilia1
I had a superchips tuner program installed. It was set on 87 performance. It made the shifts very firm compaired to stock. Could this have caused my problems? I reverted back to the stock tune before I took it in of course
Possibly.

And I ain't gonna say anything else, 'cause I have my own opinions about what you did...if you can't say nothing nice...

Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I was not towing anything. The few times that I have towed, I program it to tow.

Quintin, "And I ain't gonna say anything else, 'cause I have my own opinions about what you did...if you can't say nothing nice..."

What do you mean?

Old 08-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by aprilia1
I was not towing anything. The few times that I have towed, I program it to tow.

Quintin, "And I ain't gonna say anything else, 'cause I have my own opinions about what you did...if you can't say nothing nice..."

What do you mean?

Ok you weren't towing... now what about my other questions ? (if you want help, we need info )

When you set your truck to "tow" would you leave the OD on ???

Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry,

It is the 5.4L It was a gentle 2 mile climb. I was going about 65mph.

What I mean by tow is that I reprogramm with the tuner for the tow performance mode. I leave the OD off when towing.

1st, 2nd, 3rd worked fine when starting from a stop. Then when it would hit OD, it would just rev. I made it home with the overdrive off. When it happen, I pulled over, check the fluid etc, no problems. The other symptom that I had was when driving in D, if I pulled it down into 2nd Gear, obviously not at 70mph, it would just rev as well. When I hit second gear from a stop, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, 2nd gear worked just fine.

I just don't want to have problems in the future. I had a 97 supercab with a superchips programmer and 150K miles with no problems.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:53 PM

Mine went out randomly last year as well. My truck was occasionally worked really hard though and had 72k on the clock when it happened. My new transmission is a rebuilt one that came with a 75k mile warranty.

After this, i would toss that programmer and either leave the stock program on or get custom tuning for your specific vehicle. It is much safer than generic "canned" tuners/programmers.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I am going to leave the stock programming. I don' t know that it caused the problems, but I am a little gun shy.

Update:

The keeper ring broke for the overdrive. The metal destroyed the clutches etc. It should be fixed tommorrow.

Quick Reply: Transmission overhaul at 23K miles??