Trans Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Trans Cooler

I have an '07 that did not come with a tow package. Any suggestions for an after-market transmission cooler?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does the trans cooler look like?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 PM
is this it?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wreedKR
is this it?

Yeah, that's the aux trans cooler. You have an aux trans cooler even if your truck doesn't have the tow package. The aux cooler on the non-tow package trucks is a little smaller, but it's still there.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't see anything except a radiator on the XL model.

Any thoughts on the Troyer Performance Active Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I don't see anything except a radiator on the XL model.

Any thoughts on the Troyer Performance Active Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit?

Do you have the V6? Maybe they don't come with the aux cooler, but I thought that all the V8's did...

Anyway, that cooler from Troyer is best suited for placement in areas that don't get much air flow. That's why it has a fan on it... But you can get a much cheaper cooler without a fan, and place it in front of the a/c condensor (the thing that you see in the front is not the radiator, it's the a/c condensor).

Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I have the V6 & I don't have A/C. So you are wrong. That is my radiator. No A/C condenser when you don't have A/C.

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I have the V6 & I don't have A/C. So you are wrong. That is my radiator. No A/C condenser when you don't have A/C.

My bad again... I thought that a/c was standard on all models. Guess not... Ok, I'll shut up!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '07 that did not come with a tow package. Any suggestions for an after-market transmission cooler?
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=480

Phil

Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by phil6608
VERY nice!

Darrin

Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Yeah, that's the aux trans cooler. You have an aux trans cooler even if your truck doesn't have the tow package. The aux cooler on the non-tow package trucks is a little smaller, but it's still there.

So I have the big cooler?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
VERY nice!

Darrin
The superduty cooler is the one you want. Search ebay first, I picked one up for $50 bucks. Keep an eye out for them, it bolts right up, have to drill 4 holes but nothing major, its an easy installation, fits perfect! Then just run the hoses to it from the small cooler. I'm at work or I'd link to my photobucket pics, darn blockers!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Do you have the V6? Maybe they don't come with the aux cooler, but I thought that all the V8's did...

Anyway, that cooler from Troyer is best suited for placement in areas that don't get much air flow. That's why it has a fan on it... But you can get a much cheaper cooler without a fan, and place it in front of the a/c condensor (the thing that you see in the front is not the radiator, it's the a/c condensor).
Actually, with the factory tranny cooler, its designed to cool your tranny, when moving at highway speeds. Some people do not have that luxury all the time and get caught in traffic, pulling a heavy load, up a steep grade. The passive coolers (factory) need high flowing air ALL the time to actively work. Troyer's cooler doesn't. So if you do get caught in traffic, or if you pull your buggy on a trailer off-road. I go up some pretty gnarly steep hills put I am only goin 10mph, making my tranny pretty darn warm. The active cooler w/ fan kicks on and keeps the temps right around 180-200.

If the only time you tow, is on open, flat highways, the passive cooler is perfect. If you ever plan on towing in any real conditions, or you want the added security of the e-fan, I highly suggest the troyer tranny cooler kit.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech

I highly suggest the troyer tranny cooler kit.

I like the Troyer Performance Active Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit
PPI-ATCKIT
also.

But while searching online, I've also seen the B&M Racing Hi-Tek Automatic Transmission Cooling System.

The difference in cost is trivial at this point. Saving $10 or $20 will not help me if I get a cooler that does not work as well. After all, what will a new transmission cost?

Which one do you like better? Are there others that I have not seen yet?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
To me it looks like 6 or half a dozen. I would proably go ahead and go with the cheaper one (how much is the B&m ?) Also, the bigger cooler B&M offers looks a little bit bigger then the Troyer cooler, and flows about 100 cfm more, but I wonder if it too big so it would cause a drop in fluid pressure ( i wouldn't think so, but not 100% on that)

The Troyer also comes with plenty of hose, so you can cut to length and mount where you want, kinda nice. And its more then enough "cooling" power for any of our applications. Also look into an aftermarket tranny pan. They can add quite a bit of fluid, which in turn allows for lower operating temps. They are also generally aluminum finned, allowing for quicker heat transfer. They also usually come with nice drain plugs and other neat "extras". I personally am running the Mag Hytech tranny pan, love it.

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler