Trans fluid change...should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans fluid change...should I do it?

I just bought my first ford truck. Its a 2000 XLT 5.4 4x4 with 65k when purchased. I'm debating whether I should change the trans fluid or just leave it be. I've heard that changing the fluid can actually cause your trans to go out sooner than it normally would have. I'm not currently having any trans issues, and I am not looking to have any. I am unsure if the fluid has been changed in the past, and if it something I should do I will do it. The transmission code on the door is "U".

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the fluid is still a good shade of red, doesnt smell burnt and is staying at the correct level i say leave it alone for now.every few months give her a check.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
YES!! CHANGE IT!!!

there is no reason a fluid change will cause any transmission damage. this myth comes from people who have never changed the fluid. when their car or truck starts getting up around 100,000-120,000 miles and they start having transmission trouble, someone tells them to change the fluid. since the old fluid was worn out, new fluid patches up the problem for a few thousand miles and then all of a sudden the transmission self-destructs.

the blame for the blown up trans gets placed on the new fluid, when the transmission was really on its way out before anyway.

in your case, since you only have 65,000 miles and you say you're not having any problems with it, i would have no worries about changing out the fluid now. the color and smell on the dipstick is a terrible way to determine if the fluid is good or not. it could still be bright red and smell unburnt, but if all the additives are depleted, the fluid will not work as it should.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Changed mine at 30,000 miles and ford even extended my warranty for keeping up on it.. Also they don't change the filter any more so they say...
When i got home I climb under and saw the bolts haven't been touched so called them up that's when the said no worries we don't change them..

Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
besides color, smell and level how else can u tell? the paper towel test????

Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Change it, drop pan, new filter, drain TC, refill with fresh Mercon V ATF.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
Not to be snippy, but would you rely on that same method to detect Carbon Monoxide in the air. Sometimes the old methods of doing things just aren't enough anymore.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
oil analysis (by a lab) is the only way to tell for sure. anything else is just speculation. it could be good or it could be bad, but one thing is for sure...i'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars over the life of the truck on trans fluid exchanges than spend $2500 for a rebuild every 150,000 miles or so.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:41 AM
ok im overuled.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I spent a year in hell working for a transmission chain starting with the letter AA. Be warned - they will try to sell you a new tranny no matter what (it is the culture they foster in the franchisees). They are very sales driven and have weekly quotas that are set by the home office. Ergo - if you want a fluid change, don't go to them. They have been in trouble a number of times state AG's.

During my stint with them, I got to know quite a few transmission builders. They all told me the same thing. Changing transmission fluid every 30k is the best thing you can do for the tranny. Think about it - you change your motor oil to keep the harmful and abrasive dirt from doing damage to the engine. Well, transmissions get dirt in them too.

The myth that changing the fluid will cause failure is becuase fluid contains detergents. In old crusty worn out trannys, the fluid will loosen up all of the gunk that has filled in the cracks in the worn out seals. Once the gunk shakes loose, it will start to leak, over heat, fall apart, etc. By keeping clean fluid in place, you keep the tranny clean and gunk free. You also keep the seals in better shape by keeping them swollen with clean fluid.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by The Sod Father
The myth that changing the fluid will cause failure is becuase fluid contains detergents. In old crusty worn out trannys, the fluid will loosen up all of the gunk that has filled in the cracks in the worn out seals. Once the gunk shakes loose, it will start to leak, over heat, fall apart, etc. By keeping clean fluid in place, you keep the tranny clean and gunk free. You also keep the seals in better shape by keeping them swollen with clean fluid.

^+1...well put

Old 06-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Chances are it has never been changed. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do so, really will cost under $100. When you do and find little yellow plugs in the pan, don't freak, they are supposed to be there. If they are or aren't you'll know the status but it can't hurt it.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 AM
If the fluid has never been changed you may have to change the fluid twice. I recently bought a 97 with the E40d and the even though it shifted fine the first thing I did was change the fluids and filter including draining the torque converter. After that the tranny shifted like crap and got real dirty after about 300 miles, after about 500 miles I figured most of the gunk was flushed out and I changed the fluid and filter again and now the transmission shifts like new.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Another reason many people think that changing fluid ruins trannys is when they bring it to a shop, and just ask that it be changed.

Many newer shops, in the effort to reduce time taken on work, use transmission flush machines to suck the old fluid out, and pump new stuff in. The rapid flushing action busts the deposits loose, they end up in the pan on new fluid, and then get sucked up somewhere else, clogging the valve body or something else. If you bring it somewhere, ask if they drop the pan or just flush.

You can do it yourself, it's not a huge job. To keep things a little cleaner, use a suction gun or drill pump(available at most big-box home improvement stores and some auto stores) to suck some fluid out of the dipstick before you drop the pan.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Another huge help was the addition of a drain plug or buying a new pan, TCI in my case with 2 extra quart capacity and cooling fins but most important, a drain plug.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid change...should I do it?