Trans Flush vs. Drop pan route??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the Ford dealer where I work, we have a wynns flush machine and use BG chemicals. If you want the pan dropped we will, that is up to you. I have done several hundered flushes with only 1 concern.

If you all are FORD guys you should know the Taurus has had trans problems it's entire life!!! I don't think by flushing the trans it made it go out. However if you wait till 100k plus and then flush it you could have some concerns, but I beleive you would have them with either service.

I have and will continue to flush my trans. in all my vehicles, and my customers, and my family. Don't scare me!!!

Shane

Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 AM
My Ford Service manual for my 03 screw with 5.4 and 4R70 has no tranny service requirements for regular 30,000 mile fluid changes. Supposed to be due to the MERCON V. This has been driving me nutz because I have always changed my fluids regularly. So, I bought some fluid and was going to change it over the memorial weekend. Never made it. The tranny went out with a bad reverse sun gear at 65,000. Fluid changes are cheap "peace of mind" and just make sense. Why did FORD go with the "no change" philosophy?

BobJ

Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
They went with the no change policy as just another selling point on low maintenance.

Most of what these companies do is driven by the marketing departments. It is what it is.

Darrin

Old 05-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by MikeyB61

But, I think I'll let the Ford dealer do this. If it backs up my ext. warranty then I am thinking that may be the way to go. I guess if tehy screw it up, they can buy me a new trans!!
i would just like to say that with an 98 explorer that i had with 72000 miles on it-(last year)- the dealership pushed for the flush .... afterwords the truck would roll backwards in drive on hillswhen starting from a stop, just like it had slipped into neutral. I took it back three times and they first told me it needed a new valve body which they replaced, did it again that morning after at a stop light and i rolled into somebody. THEN they said " it was an existing problem that was made more evident with the changing of the fluid..." i asked about the warranty for the valve body job then because i was told that was the problem they said "no actually we said we wrote it up as you needed a valve body AND we are here for any other problems that may arrise" --- so i asked "this means that you worded it so if this didn't fix it , it wasn't your fault anyway, even tho in the meantime i have called several dealerships and 2 out of 3 openly said that problems were commonly heard of after transmission flushes on different types of vehicles?" he said i needed a remanufactured transmission and they would be kind enough to credit the costy of the valve body job to that amount. (they said a rebuild might not fix the problem and then i would be right back where i was).
sooooooo- i did the only thing that i could in good concious -i had been thinking about a truck for awhile, a salesman at the same dealership had patiently let me test drive everykind of exploer and truck and expedition they have so he deserved the sale in my mind no matter what the service department did-
private party value= $5200 , trade in value $3400, transmission install= $3200. i would lose money on fixing it and selling it, couldn't sell it broke and sleep good at night , so i TRADED IT TO THAT DEALERSHIP AND DIDN'T FEEL IN THE LEAST BIT BAD
I guess you make your own decision but i question the practice of backflushing any system that deals with fluid seals and such. They are usually engineered to work a certain way and if you put pressure going backwards in the system usually things dont like that. - in all honesty i am not a auto tech but i know a little about engineering... and a couple auto techs ....- hope my rant helped your decision either way-

Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I had mine flushed by the method of dropping the pan and remove the filter. Hooked up a supply line to the filter inlet pipe (that goes to the trans pump) and the trans fluid is pumped into the trans by a remote pump on the oil barrel. A drain funnel is bolted to the pan holes on the case and is clear plastic. The remote pump is turned on, the truck is started and the tech runs the valve body through all the gears three times while another tech is monitoring the color of the fluid drainning into the funnel. With this method you get best of both, pan cleaned and inspected, new filter, all fluid circuits and valve body purged and converter flushed. I also have the valve body bolts re-torqued. (Fords are known for their valve body bolts becoming loose, sometimes falling out). Shifting improves alot when the valve body is tight.

Quick Reply: Trans Flush vs. Drop pan route??