95 F-150 Manual 5 speed going out

Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 F-150 Manual 5 speed going out

I own a 95 F-150 with a 5 speed manual tranny. The truck has right under 150,000 miles. I have been having a hard time shifting into 1st gear. So any way i would shift into 5 then to 4-3-2-1 and it will go into 1st gear. It also is kinda of hard to get into to gear sometimes. So i was doing fine but the other day it didn't shift out of gear and when i let the clutch out it would jump forward and kill the truck.

--So i went to a local tranny place today and they said it was a "shifter cover" and it would be about 450-500 to replace, and they wouldn't need to drop the tranny cause their is a acess panel in the cab of the truck under the seat. So I have some mechanical experience, never worked on a tranny before so i called Napa and they said they have never heard of a shifter cover.

So I have three questions, what could this be? and what should i do i fix it. And what is a shifter cover.

Thanks in advance for all of your help

Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I have the same truck with 192,000 on it. I dont remember seeing any sort of thing like that when I was underneath pulling my tranny. I'll look tomorrow, but sounds like B.S. to me, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Well one problem could be that your syncros are going out, these help the gears line up when u push the clutch in. Next time that u drive it before u start in 5 gear and work your way down, slowly let the clutch out and try to put it in gear. You should only have to let it out about 1-3 inches. If this works than they are bad and the easiest way to fix this is have the transmission shop rebulid it. Let me know if this helps any.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 F-150 Manual 5 speed going out