95 F-150 Manual 5 speed going out

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 F-150 Manual 5 speed going out

I own a 95 F-150 with a 5 speed manual tranny. The truck has right under 150,000 miles. I have been having a hard time shifting into 1st gear. So any way i would shift into 5 then to 4-3-2-1 and it will go into 1st gear. It also is kinda of hard to get into to gear sometimes. So i was doing fine but the other day it didn't shift out of gear and when i let the clutch out it would jump forward and kill the truck.

--So i went to a local tranny place today and they said it was a "shifter cover" and it would be about 450-500 to replace, and they wouldn't need to drop the tranny cause their is a acess panel in the cab of the truck under the seat. So I have some mechanical experience, never worked on a tranny before so i called Napa and they said they have never heard of a shifter cover.

So I have three questions, what could this be? and what should i do i fix it. And what is a shifter cover.

Thanks in advance for all of your help

Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I have the same truck with 192,000 on it. I dont remember seeing any sort of thing like that when I was underneath pulling my tranny. I'll look tomorrow, but sounds like B.S. to me, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Well one problem could be that your syncros are going out, these help the gears line up when u push the clutch in. Next time that u drive it before u start in 5 gear and work your way down, slowly let the clutch out and try to put it in gear. You should only have to let it out about 1-3 inches. If this works than they are bad and the easiest way to fix this is have the transmission shop rebulid it. Let me know if this helps any.

Quick Reply: 95 F-150 Manual 5 speed going out