Towing & Hauling

My class IV hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have the integrated factory brake controller...plus a bushel of sway control, 9.75 rear end......factory power mirrors etc. I only will have to check if I have the upgraded rear bumper. Like I said before...the max tow package may not be an option on this truck because most, if not all it's components are installed already.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Hitch classes:

Generally, a class 3 hitch is good to 500/500, 1000/10000 with WD.
Generally, a class 4 hitch is good to 1000/10000, 1200/12000 or more with WD.

What does your sticker say?
500/5000 WC

I have been told (By the highway cops, the RCMP and the Ford Parts department) that is left wide open by the one line on that same sticker: "Ratings may vary according to vehicle equipment".

Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You may be misreading the chart on that link. You have a 2014 SuperCrew 4x4 with 5.0, right? 5.5' or 6.5' bed?

With 5.5' bed:
F-150 SuperCrew Cab SB 4WD 5.0L V-8 7,700 (h)
F-150 SuperCrew Cab SB 4WD 5.0L V-8 9,300 (i)

With 6.5' bed:
F-150 SuperCrew Cab Std Bed 4WD 5.0L V-8 7,500 (h)
F-150 SuperCrew Cab Std Bed 4WD 5.0L V-8 9,100 (i)
F-150 SuperCrew Cab Std Bed 4WD 5.0L V-8 9,200 (i)*

(h) = 3.55 gears
(i) = 3.73 gears
(*) = HD Payload package (VERY rare on a SuperCrew, most were on standard cab and Supercab with 8' bed - however, there's a possibility you have that)
(t) = "Max Tow" package, apparently not available with the 5.0.

What gears do you have? Post the AXLE code from your door jamb sticker. Also, please post the GVWR and payload rating, that will help sort this out better.
I have the 3.55 gears, L9 code. Electronic locking.
Here is the label.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You have the regular (not Max) tow package with standard payload. Depending on bed length, your rating is 7700 or 7500. You also have a class 3 hitch, not a class 4.

As long as you are within all ratings, you should be okay with that rig without a WDH if you are just using it for local tows.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by glc
You have the regular (not Max) tow package with standard payload. Depending on bed length, your rating is 7700 or 7500. You also have a class 3 hitch, not a class 4.

As long as you are within all ratings, you should be okay with that rig without a WDH if you are just using it for local tows.
Now I'm confused again. My build sheet says I have the Heavy Duty Tow Package.....which means a class IV not? The only thing I'm missing (have to check yet) is the upgraded rear bumper to complete what the max tow package has.

I only travel local....maybe 15 to 30 minutes to most of the places I work with the tractor. I am quite happy with the setup....just this whole unclear "package" thing! lol

Old 12-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Even my Max Tow F150 has the 500/5000 weight carrying rating on the hitch.

I'd tow that equipment trailer all day long without WD..

Like you say, you can adjust the TW by moving the tractor on the trailer.

Anyway, like GLC said, you likely just have the standard tow package. The original window sticker would tell you for sure what 'tow package' your truck has.. Here is mine that clearly states the Max Tow and the #7700 GVWR package. I looked at my "build sheet" online and it showed stuff that it didn't have, but didn't even show the Max Tow option?? No idea what it really showed me really??

Good luck! Mitch

Old 12-07-2017, 01:54 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by MitchF150
Even my Max Tow F150 has the 500/5000 weight carrying rating on the hitch.

I'd tow that equipment trailer all day long without WD..

Like you say, you can adjust the TW by moving the tractor on the trailer.

Anyway, like GLC said, you likely just have the standard tow package. The original window sticker would tell you for sure what 'tow package' your truck has.. Here is mine that clearly states the Max Tow and the #7700 GVWR package. I looked at my "build sheet" online and it showed stuff that it didn't have, but didn't even show the Max Tow option?? No idea what it really showed me really??

Good luck! Mitch

I feel comfortable I am legal and safe with the setup as I have it. The hill going down into our close has a 7 degree grade and even if sanded I have no problem stopping or turning , going up......

I will find out from Travis at Ford what that "with heavy duty towing" line means in my ...errrr...the trucks build sheet. Heck, I have everything the max tow package has.....except the upgraded bumper and the lower gears. If I do find anything...I'll post it on here.

I appreciate all the advice y'all....I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just want to know exactly what my truck has and what it can do.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM
glc
You probably have the "535" package, which is not Max Tow.

Open the attachment, that's a screen shot from one of my links. First column is standard truck equipment without towing package. "535" is the "standard" towing package and Max Tow is Max Tow.

Attached Thumbnails My class IV hitch-capture.jpg  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Simnut - I usually strongly advocate using a WDH whenever towing something as heavy as you are pulling, but in looking at the pictures you posted in the beginning of this thread, I think you are right in choosing not to.

Your trailer has a double axle and large wheels/tires. The loading of the trailer seems to put the weight over those axles. As such, your tongue loading looks to be fairly low, which explains why you are not getting much of a rise over your truck's front axle and why everything looks nice and level. In this configuration, you don't need to transfer any weight off the rear axle of the truck, so a WDH is essentially overkill. A WDH will not increase your "pulling" capacity and it does not add any strength to your truck's hitch receiver. If you have good sway control, you're good to go.

I'm guessing that if you were to tow a travel trailer of equivalent weight, you'd find the tongue weight would be quite a bit higher, and then you'd see using a WDH as advantageous.

Anyway, that's my opinion - probably worth exactly what you're paying me for it!

- Jack

Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Simnut - I usually strongly advocate using a WDH whenever towing something as heavy as you are pulling, but in looking at the pictures you posted in the beginning of this thread, I think you are right in choosing not to.

Your trailer has a double axle and large wheels/tires. The loading of the trailer seems to put the weight over those axles. As such, your tongue loading looks to be fairly low, which explains why you are not getting much of a rise over your truck's front axle and why everything looks nice and level. In this configuration, you don't need to transfer any weight off the rear axle of the truck, so a WDH is essentially overkill. A WDH will not increase your "pulling" capacity and it does not add any strength to your truck's hitch receiver. If you have good sway control, you're good to go.

I'm guessing that if you were to tow a travel trailer of equivalent weight, you'd find the tongue weight would be quite a bit higher, and then you'd see using a WDH as advantageous.

Anyway, that's my opinion - probably worth exactly what you're paying me for it!

- Jack
Thank you sir! Your check is in the mail! Honestly though....I appreciate your evaluation and opinion.

We have a 22' travel trailer that weighs in at just over 5000 lbs wet and we do use a WDH with it...wouldn't go with out it. But the differences between the two is basically as you said....how you can load it. Low center of gravity on the tractor trailer is also a plus compared to the Bullet.

People comment to me saying....at the scales again eh? We have one government scale here that is closed quite often...but the scales still "work". If I doubt anything about my rigs....I'm there. lol I'm not trying to be cheap or lazy with the WDH (Ok, I'm Dutch)...safety is the top of my list. Ask my wife.....she shakes her head every time I say I'm going to the scales . But I feel so relaxed driving the truck/tractor/trailer..even more so than with the TT with the WDH.

My research is not over yet. O Honestly...I don't think it ever will

Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM
glc
Jack, I agree 100%.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 AM
glc
Interesting.

I just loaded up etrailer.com, and looked up hitches available for your truck without factory hitch.

1. Draw-Tite Class III Max Frame Receiver Hitch - 2014 Ford F-150
Towing Capacity:
600 Pound Tongue Weight
6000 Pound Towing
Weight Distribution Towing Capacity:
1200 Pound Tongue Weight
12000 Pound Towing

2. Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch - 2014 Ford F-150
Towing Capacity:
1000 Pound Tongue Weight
10000 Pound Towing
1200 Pound Tongue Weight
12000 Pound Towing

3. Curt Class III Receiver Hitch - 2014 Ford F-150
Towing Capacity:
800 Pound Tongue Weight
8000 Pound Towing
1200 Pound Tongue Weight
12000 Pound Towing

4. Curt Class III Receiver Hitch - 2014 Ford F-150
Towing Capacity:
600 Pound Tongue Weight
6000 Pound Towing
1000 Pound Tongue Weight
10000 Pound Towing

5. Curt Class III Round Tube Receiver Hitch - 2014 Ford F-150
Towing Capacity:
600 Pound Tongue Weight
6000 Pound Towing
1100 Pound Tongue Weight
11000 Pound Towing

Bottom line - sure seems to me like the lawyers wrote the sticker on your hitch!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Just received an interesting note from Ford. I ask them if they could tell me what hitch I had on my truck. Their response:

"
Regrettably we do not offer 3rd party recommendations for regular hitches and/or WDH at this time Harry. We do recommend that the vehicle weight ratings on the Safety Certification label affixed to your vehicle be adhered to. You can also find additional information in out trailer towing guides for your model year Ford vehicle found here: http://www.fleet.ford.ca/towing-guides/ "

It appears that all they are concerned about is the weight ratings on the door sticker...which I am safely within. This tells me that GLC is bang on !

Old 12-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Pretty good test out there today for me. Was -2 C heading to the job I had for today and no issues on the sometimes slick roads. I drove with a bit of smartness too

The driveway also had an 8 degree slope to it and entirely gravel. The front tires slid once coming down but any pick up would have at those spots but no issues controlling the setup.

I appreciate the help y'all! Thanks for all the sensible replies!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 PM
glc
I FINALLY found what I was looking for. The factory hitch is a Class III/IV Hybrid. So - over 500/5000 without WD is not a hitch issue, it's a truck issue. Everything within limits, no problem.

Quick Reply: My class IV hitch