Towing & Hauling

Weak turn signal lights on trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak turn signal lights on trailer

I have a 7 way plug on my truck but my trailer is rigged with a flat 4 prong plug so I bought an adapter that connects the two plugs.
The break lights on my trailer seem to be bright enough & my turn signal lights work - but do not show up very bright.
I hook up the trailer and try the turn signals the flasher under the dash sounds different - like it needs a boost or something - could the flasher be the problem.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Ground... ground, ground
It could be the ground at the trailer tongue, at the lights or a poor connection at the plug or convertor. Convertors are junk. If you continue to use the trailer put a 7 pin connector on the trailer. Convertors are meant as a temporary fix and they corrode/oxidize and commonly have bad connections.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Ground... ground, ground
It could be the ground at the trailer tongue, at the lights or a poor connection at the plug or convertor. Convertors are junk. If you continue to use the trailer put a 7 pin connector on the trailer. Convertors are meant as a temporary fix and they corrode/oxidize and commonly have bad connections.
I've never had an issue with the plug converters but like Osprey said, always check the grounds first on trailers. Even a bare wire that is grounding by arc will cause issues.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Okay I'll check the ground. I'm just saying - I mean don't the break lights need to be grounded? Just seems like if the break lights work like they should - the turn signals should also. ??

Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM
The brake lights and the turn signals work off the same bulbs and the same wire. During braking both are lit together vs turn signals are separated. Since there is no resistance to make the brake lights work, unlike the flasher unit needing to pulse, there is potentially a weaker pulse during turn signal operation from a poor ground vs braking lighting.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Sounds to me, like you need a heavy duty "flasher" relay, and you perhaps don't have a "heavy duty" one installed right now, or perhaps it is going. You usually need a heavy duty one, when hooking up the additional trailer wiring, with its signals.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Agree with the others. I'd start troubleshooting by making sure the trailer had a good ground connection.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks - I'll check the grounging on the rig.
Thanks again for your response!

Quick Reply: Weak turn signal lights on trailer