Towing & Hauling

Towing a 26" TT w/ a 2000 Screw 5.4 4X4 Q's about what to do/get & how she will do

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing a 26" TT w/ a 2000 Screw 5.4 4X4 Q's about what to do/get & how she will do

Looking for some affirmation with this scenario:

Yes i searched a bit as well. Please Bear with me..

2000 [Has 2001 and up body] F150 Supercrew with 5.4 L Lariat trim w/ 4X4
I believe the axles are 3.55 [will eventually go to 4.10's]
Have 285's Goodyear Duratracs currently.
K&N Air FIPK kit and a Throttle body spacer.
Trailer Brake System and I just installed new slotted rotors up front and new pads all around.. I think the calipers need some love.

Of course i have the class III hitch as well.

I also have an A.R.E Topper on the truck.

OK so I would love to have a larger truck to tow with but i love my F150 and am very happy to have it.

We found a Travel Trailer that works for us and the boys [3] and I live in Colorado so I am concerned about pulling the trailer.

Dry weight is #4560.. I assume after water, food, camping gear, bug out stuffs, packs, guns, bikes, propane and all the other stuff that makes RVing fun it will be close to #6K..

How will she do?

I already am working Firestone airbags into the deal as i would like to firm up the ride, avoid the draggin or leaf sagging and also to get a little lift out of it and then up the torsion bars in the front. I Defintaly will go with the airbags.

Also already have a rearview camera and will get a second camera for the rv [screen has 2 inputs].

Already plan on regearing to 4.10's since i went bigger on tires and will tow in the mountains here alot. Still will DD Daily Drive it to work though too...

Read about a Gryphon as well sounds very compelling but as i wont have money for any of the mods for a bit i wasnt sure in what order to get them.. my thoughts are:

Get the airbags because they can install them and roll them into the note on the TT.

Then regear and then get the gryphon.

I Defintaly will also get the exhaust done but i dont think i will replace the headers.. just do a catback etc.

So i havnt posted much before this is my 3rd post.
I also have not really reallllly researched the gryphon or the exhaust thing. I had a 97 Jeep XJ that i modified very heavily for rocks and fun but then the family outgrew the XJ and i moved onto the real truck thing...

Anyways.. TIA..

-Aaron

Last edited by aroncull; 06-02-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Aaron,
Where in Colorado are you planning to tow?

Eastern Colorado and you will probably be ok.
Taking 70 west out of Denver you are gonna be in low gear hoping to get 35mph.

Are you getting WD bars in the deal? If not you should probably get some.

My neighbor had a 28' that he towed behind his F350 V-10 SCrew and it was a dog. He used my SDuty w/ a 7.3 and immediately sold his truck for a diesel.

What I am trying to say is that your truck will do, but nothing compares to a turbo diesel pulling mountains at altitude. If you are out east you should be happy with your rig after you re-gear.

Good Luck

Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no 2000 Supercrew. You cna determine the axle ratio by reading the driver's door tag for axle code.

I have your truck, with 3.73 and heavy BFG of same size. I am planning on ordering a little heavier trailer than that soon, about 5500 pounds with options, 6900GVWR. It's a little more than I wanted for this truck, but I plan to upgrade the truck within the next 3 years, maybe next year. As such, I only plan to stay in the mid-west, generally flat.

I only have 62k miles on mine, but just had some service done. Front/Rear diff, transfer case fluids changed. Fuel filter and fuel injectors cleaned. Trans flushed. The combination really helped bring back some power and the trans shifts better and locks the torque converter better. You may want to do the same if getting the truck ready to tow. My tires are about due to be replaced, so I'm going back to stock size, lighter and smaller to improve performance as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
OK I saw a thread about the axle code somewhere and i swear it said i had 3.55's

Also the MFG date stamp on the tag says 08/00..

Thanks for the replies guys.. I had wanted to get a 19' Hybrid Travel Trailer as it weighed 3400 dry and thought that was a much better fit for my truck.. Wife is a little RV/TT crazy at this point..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
You may love your truck now but after a few pulls I bet your gonna start thinking.
I say gears first!!! that is gonna be the biggest help. You gotta help that trans out, that is my biggest prob...3rd. Have done all the worst things for pulling to my truck, lift, tires, but I have done things to help it too. Superchips, catback, intake and gears, and can pull a 6% at 45mph in 2nd at little over 3/4 throttle. My box is only 21" but they say 4900UVWR, so just a little math with 3 quads 100 gal water, propan...blah blah. Anyways I'm heavy. N

Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I had the same setup as you but stock tires on a 2wd. Trailer weight was the same. No airbags but I did have a SI/So Magnaflow exhaust. My father in law lived in Paonia Colorado and we spent many days traveling in Colorado. I have pulled most of the major mountain passes with this set up, Loveland, Wolf Creek, Monarch and a few others. I never had any problems, but it was very slow on occassions. I can remmeber on Monarch we were in 1st gear at about 15 mph by the time we were the top. Flat lands were no problems easily kept all posted speed limits. If I lived in Colorado I would without hesitation go to 4:10's. I think that would make a big difference. The real issue is the lack of oxygen, no way around that but gears will help. I am going to get a Gryphon tuner as soon as money allows, from my research that might really help as they can program it for your specific conditions. Change your fluids often and you should be fine. You will be slow on those big pulls, but just relax and go with it, getting there is half the fun.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The real issue is the lack of oxygen, no way around that
Forced induction (turbo or supercharger).

Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys for the replies!!.. Well it turns out i have 3.55 gearing. which sucks!! 3.73 would have been at least a little better. Now im wishing i hadnt gon from 265's to 285's because that makes it even worse!

Well i will have to save mmy pennies and regear ASAP.. guessing itll be about 2-2.5 K. Wondering if i should go 4.10 or 4.56's??

Also i can do most of the bolt on / maintenance stuff myself. How hard is it to do the Differentail servicing myself? I read the Haynes guide on the Diff fliud replacing certainly simple. Im wondering why the dealer wanted $400 for both diff's, Not much to it. I will call and see if they are doing something else to it then what i read in the guide.

What about installing the airbags myself? That also seems fairly simple. Anyone else done that?

Thanks!

-Aaron

Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
APT
Diff change should be $1200-1500 for both axles including labor.

Diff fluids are pretty easy to do, although I paid to have it done on my truck last week. Under $300 for F/R diff fluid, transfer case fluid, trans flush, fuel filter and fuel injector cleaned, and oil change.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by aroncull
...Also the MFG date stamp on the tag says 08/00...
The VIN will tell you for sure:
10th position = 'W' = 1998 model year
10th position = 'X' = 1999 model year
10th position = 'Y' = 2000 model year
10th position = '1' = 2001 model year
10th position = '2'= 2002 model year
etc...

Ford would shut down the assembly plant for couple of weeks in July to set up for the next model year.
With an August build date, I believe you have an early '01.

The build sequence number (VIN 12th-17th) started with A.
The very first 2001 out of a plant would be A00001.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:00 AM
APT
The 2001 Supercrew started production early, like Feb 2000 instead of typically August. There were 3 generations of 2001 Supercrews with about an 18 month production run.

Last edited by APT; 06-08-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Well I will be picking up the trailer soon. Looks like i will have to:
Not neccisarily in order-

1. Regear to 4.10 or 4.56's
2. Get a gryphon
3. Have my exaust work done- Cat back dual out etc.. [havnt researched yet]
4. Install a Firestone Airbag kit.. Think i will tackle this myself
5. Have a handfull of maintainance to do:
i. Oil change
ii. Do the Differentail serviceing
iii. Coolant flush/ system check
iv. check the braking system specifically the calipers
v. Air conditioning problem issue as posted here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...-thoughts.html

Cold/Ram air intake would be awesome as it would help alot in my altitude and with the intake kit i have. Have to work up something to make that happen.

I have a long list of other mods to do but it will have to wait..

Maybe i can still go forward with the hidden winch mount as my Warn winch is just sitting in a box in my garage after i removed it from the jeep. I also have a Optima yellow Top that can go in for back up battery duty..

Ive done just about every bolt on i had on my own for my jeep, also changed the water pump and radiator and do most all my own electrical work.. The air bag set up looks easy sans the drilling of mount holes in the frame, anyone else around here install there own airbag kits?

TIA

Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
APT
For the $3k you'd spend on this truck, you could upgrade to a similar age F250 V10 and not worry about the weight of the trailer.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I looked at F250's.. spendy though.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
APT
For a used 2001 F250?

Quick Reply: Towing a 26" TT w/ a 2000 Screw 5.4 4X4 Q's about what to do/get & how she will do