Towing & Hauling

Time to change the tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to change the tranny fluid

I've own the truck 9 months now and I've already got almost 20k on her. I added up my towing and was surprised to see 9k of that is towing. Most of it an enclosed trailer. So, I think I'm going to change over to synthetic now before the season gets going and things heat up (literally).

I know I need to take it somewhere to get a complete flush using that machine so that all the oil is sucked out. (right?)

Is Amsoil ATF the preferred Amsoil to use in our trucks?

Also, do most people just bring it with them to a garage and tell them to use this? If so, what's a decent price to pay for the job minus the fluid?

Last, anything else I'm not considering with regards to changing the tranny fluid?

Thanks, and sorry I know this stuff has been posted somewhere before.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I've always paid about $100 or so (IIRC) from the dealer (coupon) with Ford ATF. I think I paid a guy $50 to do it without.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, the ATF is what you want. The ATD is geared more towards heavy duty diesel and heavy truck applications, Allison transmissions, and things like that. ATF rocks. I've put it to the test in my own truck and it makes a difference.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Out of curiousity, if you tow a lot how often do you change the fluid after adding synth? I was thinking I'd just do it once a season but maybe that's more than needed. I suppose a big factor is how high the tranny temps get too.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 AM
The ATF will handle much higher temps than any normal fluid. Recommended change interval for the ATF is 50,000 miles under extreme conditions and 100,000 miles under normal conditions, or manufacturers recommendations...whichever is higher...most likely the ATF. I sent you a PM also. Tranny temps are a factor yes, but to be a substantial impact on the ATF, it would have to be 280+ for extended periods...not very likely unless your tranny is malfunctioning.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM
The transmission in the '07 should be a 4R75E and there has been many reported cases of these transmissions failing at as little as 16,000 miles.
They are burning the fluid when used in any application other than standard day to day driving without a load. Adding power adding features like chips just seem to increase the failures. I would bet that trailer towing isn't doing it any favors either.

For starters before flushing the system and upgrading to a synthetic fluid, specifically any non-motorcraft fluid, you should go to a shop that has a computer scanner (not a code checker) and check specifically the transmission function. (Don't want to void that warranty or give Ford any reason to not give you a new tranny if it soon fails,) Is it already slipping or shuddering? We have seen the clutch packs in F150's with less than 20,000 miles that were just completely worn out....like not there.

Is the fluid burnt or discolored?

If you feel that the trans is ok without these prior checks then I would suggest a full synthetic or synthetic blend fluid (flushing out the old fluid)while also adding a higher capacity trans pan and drop filter to keep towing temps cooler....upgrading your trans cooler would also be high on the list....just because of the amount of towing you are doing.(almost 50%)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
(Don't want to void that warranty or give Ford any reason to not give you a new tranny if it soon fails,)

Please, please, please tell me you are not implying Ford can (legally) deny a warranty claim on a transmission for the sole reason of changing fluid to a non-Motorcraft fluid!!!!!! Even if there were some 'underlying' problem evident prior to swapping fluid, they would have zero grounds to deny a warranty claim based on changing the fluid.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Galaxy
No.... I'm not stating that you have to use motorcraft anything.
Specifically that you had it serviced and that that service could be blamed on the transmission failure.

If the trans is slipping, shuddering or there is burn fluid .....the trans is starting to fail I recommend not doing anything other than taking it to Ford for warranty claim because it is only 9 months old and has only 20k miles.

I wouldn't give Ford any reason to deny the claim. By leaving it stock, with factory fluid and no trans service performed there is no way Ford could deny a claim if the trans is already ruined.

Like I said,
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
For starters before flushing the system and upgrading to a synthetic fluid, specifically any non-motorcraft fluid, you should go to a shop that has a computer scanner (not a code checker) and check specifically the transmission function...... Is it already slipping or shuddering? We have seen the clutch packs in F150's with less than 20,000 miles that were just completely worn out....like not there.
I could easily see Ford trying to deny a transmission warranty simply because it was serviced and soon after it failed....blaming the last service as the cause citing incorrect procedure. BTW that covers lots of things....

Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Man, I had no idea the tranny in this truck is such a POS. I'm half tempted to get one of the new 0% interest 6 speed chevys. I'm sure that truck has its fair share of problems too though...

Right now the tranny has zero isssues. I am running toyers software 'tow mode' whenever I pull. I also really baby the truck when driving it. I assume I'll eventually have to do a tranny rebuild, I was hoping I could get 100k out of it though. My last truck, grand cherokee, went through 3 trannys in 200k miles and the tranny was DONE when I gave it to dealer for the new truck.

I plan on installing Toyers additional oil tranny cooler this spring to help keep temps low.

I don't really see what the increased volume pan will do for me though. I understand that greater capacity may keep the fluid a little cooler but seems inseg. compared to an aux cooler. Are there other additional advantages?

Last, what's a 'drop filter'? Sorry auto trannys aren't my strong suite.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM
IMO, no tranny Ford put in a F-150 was ever intended to hold up to some serious work...they're all POS's. With that said, there are some success stories. I'm at 80k on this truck (running nothing but Amsoil ATF since the first change at 30K) and I tow close to a max load, up mountains, and just where ever I want to go with not a single hint of any forthcoming problems.

You said you were going to install an "additional" Troyer "oil" cooler??? You meant tranny fluid cooler, correct?? Oil cooler would be for the engine, since a tranny doesn't have oil

Do you have a tranny temp gauge?? If you want to spend money on your truck, buy a temp gauge intstead of throwing a cooler at it for no reason. Then you'll know what your tranny is doing and if you need a cooler or not, but most likely not.

Not to talk you out of anything but from what I know, the cooler on the post '03 trucks is pretty efficient. Haven't heard the temp horror stories like you hear about pre '04 trucks. You also said "additional"?? Did you mean "in addition to the stock cooler?" What I have heard stories of is additional coolers mounted in series cause too much of a pressure drop in the system which have an effect on these drastically electronic controlled transmissions.

Increased capacity (especially with a Mag Hytec that increases it by 8 qts) does offer some cooling, but it is usually minimal. The increased quantity biggest benefit is cleaner fluid and much longer life since you have fewer ppm's with any contaminants or particles in the fluid. You are correct, if your intention is cooler fluid, then the pan, although as I said somewhat effective, it is insignificant to the effects of a good cooler like you mentioned. Advantages are it looks cool (no, I'm not being sarcastic) and usually has a drain plug. IMO, a mod that's still worth the cost.

A drop filter is an external mounted filter that you can get at and change without dropping the pan.

Last edited by Galaxy; 03-07-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
IMO, no tranny Ford put in a F-150 was ever intended to hold up to some serious work
Well, let's qualify this and talk about 97 and newer - if you have one of the few with the E4OD or 4R100, those are made to work hard. I think I have to agree with you on the 4R70/75. In reality, all you folks that are towing up close to or over the limits with a F-150 frequently should be looking at replacing the 150 with a Super Duty.

I just got back from a 3400 mile road trip - and almost without exception, everyone out there towing anything of any size was doing it with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, most with diesels. I don't think I'd necessarily buy a diesel right now with diesel fuel averaging $3.85 a gallon though.

Last edited by glc; 03-11-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Well, let's qualify this and talk about 97 and newer - if you have one of the few with the E4OD or 4R100, those are made to work hard. I think I have to agree with you on the 4R70/75. In reality, all you folks that are towing up close to or over the limits with a F-150 frequently should be looking at replacing the 150 with a Super Duty.

I just got back from a 3400 mile road trip - and almost without exception, everyone out there towing anything of any size was doing it with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, most with diesels. I don't think I'd necessarily buy a diesel right now with diesel fuel averaging $3.85 a gallon though.

Agreed!! Yes, that is what I meant in regards to the F-150 tranny...agree on the fuel cost too!!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by robertmII

I plan on installing Toyers additional oil tranny cooler this spring to help keep temps low.

I looked at both the Troyer Performance Active Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit PPI-ATCKIT and B&M Racing 70297 - Hi-Tek Cooling System. I decided to go with B&M. Why? Troyer's fan comes on at 180 - B&M's fan comes on at 175. Troyer's fan is 400 CFM - B&M's fan is 500 CFM.

Last edited by Fifty150; 03-14-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Do you have a tranny temp gauge?? If you want to spend money on your truck, buy a temp gauge intstead of throwing a cooler at it for no reason. Then you'll know what your tranny is doing and if you need a cooler or not, but most likely not.

Not to talk you out of anything but from what I know, the cooler on the post '03 trucks is pretty efficient. Haven't heard the temp horror stories like you hear about pre '04 trucks. You also said "additional"?? Did you mean "in addition to the stock cooler?" What I have heard stories of is additional coolers mounted in series cause too much of a pressure drop in the system which have an effect on these drastically electronic controlled transmissions.

Increased capacity (especially with a Mag Hytec that increases it by 8 qts) does offer some cooling, but it is usually minimal. The increased quantity biggest benefit is cleaner fluid and much longer life since you have fewer ppm's with any contaminants or particles in the fluid. You are correct, if your intention is cooler fluid, then the pan, although as I said somewhat effective, it is insignificant to the effects of a good cooler like you mentioned. Advantages are it looks cool (no, I'm not being sarcastic) and usually has a drain plug. IMO, a mod that's still worth the cost.

A drop filter is an external mounted filter that you can get at and change without dropping the pan.
I already have a tranny guage installed. I am seeing low 170s now but that's all been on days 70 deg or cooler. I am concerned once summer hits I'll be seeing much higher temps. Also, I got stuck in a traffic jam on the hwy and watched the temps go up to 178 with stop and go and it was only 65 outside. So, temps will most likely be a problem. I hear what your saying with the larger pan and lowering the particulate ratio. I always thought the shift solenoids were the big problem on these trannies thuogh and it was the high temps that killed them. Agreed, a pressure drop could be a problem. What I'm reading though is they can be installed w/o pressure drop if done right.

I guess I'm leaning towards an additional cooler. I'm just afraid high temps will be my biggest enemy and I don't see any other good way combat it.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I looked at both the Troyer Performance Active Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit PPI-ATCKIT and B&M Racing 70297 - Hi-Tek Cooling System. I decided to go with B&M. Why? Troyer's fan comes on at 180 - B&M's fan comes on at 175. Troyer's fan is 400 CFM - B&M's fan is 500 CFM.

]
The B&M unit definitely appears to be the stronger of the two. Did you have any issues installing? Any tips/advice? I haven't even looked under the truck yet so am still pretty in the dark. Once it gets warm out though I'll probably tackle the job.

Oh ya, what differences have you seen since install?

Quick Reply: Time to change the tranny fluid