Towing & Hauling

Brake controller w/o tow package

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake controller w/o tow package

Howdy, tired of lurking and need some info. I've got a 2001 Screw that as far as I know wasn't ordered with the tow package. 4 flat under the bumper and nothing else. I just picked up a 23' camp trailer and it's my 1st ever trailer with electric brakes and will be hauling it in about a week and a half to go hunting. Or more likely hiking up mountains with a rifle for no real reason.

I installed a 4 flat/6 round combo plug on the truck and picked up a brake controller. After I read the directions I assumed that since the truck didn't have the tow package that I would have to hardwire the entire thing. While I was crawling under the dash with a multi-meter I found this grey plug next to the OBD port, which is where I've often seen controllers living.

Sorry for the pic, but under the dash with a cell phone makes for poor photography. The OBD port is at the top of the screen, grey plug right under it. Tilt your head, it helps.

Is this where I can plug a brake controller into the truck? That is assuming I can dig up the corresponding plug from Ford.

If so, where does the actual brake wire terminate under the truck itself to connect to my new plug receiver?

And if all that's correct, once the controller is plugged in to the grey plug and the trailer is plugged into the truck, I should have working brakes, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by NdIndy
I installed a 4 flat/6 round combo plug on the truck and picked up a brake controller. After I read the directions I assumed that since the truck didn't have the tow package that I would have to hardwire the entire thing. While I was crawling under the dash with a multi-meter I found this grey plug next to the OBD port, which is where I've often seen controllers living.

Is this where I can plug a brake controller into the truck? That is assuming I can dig up the corresponding plug from Ford.
Yes, that is the plug you will need to plug your brake controller into.

Originally Posted by NdIndy
If so, where does the actual brake wire terminate under the truck itself to connect to my new plug receiver?

And if all that's correct, once the controller is plugged in to the grey plug and the trailer is plugged into the truck, I should have working brakes, correct?
Next to the spare tire if you follow the 4 pin trailer plug back it will plug into a factory wire connector. There should be one large 8 pin connector or 2 seperate connectors. Some vehicles up to 2000 actually had dead-ended wires. The wires you will need to connect to in addition to the 4 pin wires to complete your 6 pin are Blue-trailer brakes and Orange-aux 12v positive. You will not need the brown w/ the green trace (reverse) in the 6 pin set-up.

The last thing you will need to check is to see if you have the trailer wiring fuses and relays installed. There is a seperate relay box under the hood next to the fuse panel along the drivers side in front of the master cylinder.

If all the wires are connected and the fuses and relays are installed, yes you will be all set.

All F150's since 1997 are completely wired, just not all connections and options are installed if not ordered. This is one way Ford has kept costs down by only having 1 generic wiring harness. Comes in handy though for upgrades, huh?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 PM
I should have started digging around the truck before I bought a total buttload of 12ga wire. It looks like I'll use a couple feet and have to store the rest

What exactly does the acc 12v wire do for the trailer?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
All F150's since 1997 are completely wired, just not all connections and options are installed if not ordered. This is one way Ford has kept costs down by only having 1 generic wiring harness. Comes in handy though for upgrades, huh?

sweet! we just bought an 03 Screw w/o towing package and have a Prodigy brake controller to wire up

THANK you for that info!

and the pics NdIndy!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 AM
12v acc

I believe that this is what charges the battery on your trailer if your trailer has one. Also fyi the 12v acc will not keep on sending a charge unless your vehicle is running. This is a nice feature because you don't have to unplug your trailer from your truck when you park for an extended period. I think this is an exclusive feature to the new 04 and up Fords. oops I just realized you have a 2001. You may want to check to see if the 12v current is being drawn even with the vehicle turned off.

Last edited by stympy; 09-18-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by stympy
I think this is an exclusive feature to the new 04 and up Fords. oops I just realized you have a 2001. You may want to check to see if the 12v current is being drawn even with the vehicle turned off.
Actually I know this has been true since at least 1991 w/ the tow package. Ford and Dodge are key switched aux charge line, Chevy always stays hot.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I got the plug ordered through the local dealer, should be in today. I tested the trailer lights and found there's some work to be done there, but hopefully nothing an afternoon won't take care of. I'm laying odds that I'll get PO'd within an hour at trying to troubleshoot the factory trailer wiring and just running fresh.

I checked the fuse box this afternoon and appear to be missing both the "Trailer tow battery charge relay" and the "Trailer tow reversing lamp relay", based on the diagram posted by 36fan.

Since the trailer doesn't have backup lights, the reverse relay is pretty low on the priority list. Is the battery charge relay a standard auto relay, or is it proprietary to Ford?

*edit* NM. I picked up the harness from the dealer, it came with both relays in the package. $23 for those that are interested.

Last edited by NdIndy; 09-19-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Quick Reply: Brake controller w/o tow package