Towing & Hauling

General towing advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General towing advice

Greetings -

I have a '98 Expedition XLT 4.6 4x4 w/towing package. Just put an AEM Brute Force cold air intake and Gibson exhaust on it. Planning to rent a small covered trailer and tow my Harley from Ohio to Texas soon. Can anyone give me some general towing advice? Like ... OD has to be off, right? Anything else I should know? Only other time I towed anything it was in a rental Ryder with my car on a full trailer .... so I'm not sure what all I should be thinking about / considering / doing for this trip ....

Thanks!
Jim

Old 02-10-2006, 06:21 PM
You don't even need to turn OD off. Pull the trailer just like you are driving with no load. Just remember it's back there when you stop. On the interstate, you'll forget it's even there. If you get into a mountainous region or lots of hills, and the tranny keeps droppping back out of OD, then take it out. Transmission heat is generated most when it keeps shifting back and forth, and that's how you ruin a tranny. If it stays in OD at 65-70, I wouldn't even worry about it. Good Luck.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by GTIVR6Jim
Greetings -

I have a '98 Expedition XLT 4.6 4x4 w/towing package. Just put an AEM Brute Force cold air intake and Gibson exhaust on it. Planning to rent a small covered trailer and tow my Harley from Ohio to Texas soon. Can anyone give me some general towing advice? Like ... OD has to be off, right? Anything else I should know? Only other time I towed anything it was in a rental Ryder with my car on a full trailer .... so I'm not sure what all I should be thinking about / considering / doing for this trip ....

Thanks!
Jim
just remember at least 200 lbs tongue weight, make sure chain's are secure and have slack in them

Last edited by 1gr8gem; 02-11-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:38 PM
I tow with my 97 Expedition and I ALWAYS start off out of OD.Once I am running at a steady pace will I then switch off OD. I towed a Drag Radial car once to Bowling Green Ky. Following 2 F150 Duallys and 1 (I think F450). Halfway home the F450 BURNED out its trans because he didnt shift out of OD on the hilly terrain. We left him on at a local Ford dealership. $3000 plus dollars later he was on his way back to NJ. Just my 2 cents

Old 02-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Here is a tip.

If the trailer starts to sway side to side on the highway, back off the gas (not brakes) until the trailer settles down. Down here in Texas, a swayin trailer combined with a crosswind=trailerus rolloverus.

Drive safe and if you get down to San Antonio, give me a shout and I'll roll out the ole shovel.

Later.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:31 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good advice so far.

How wide is the trailer? You may want mirror extensions if 6' or more wide.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Saint
Here is a tip.

If the trailer starts to sway side to side on the highway, back off the gas (not brakes) until the trailer settles down. Down here in Texas, a swayin trailer combined with a crosswind=trailerus rolloverus.

Drive safe and if you get down to San Antonio, give me a shout and I'll roll out the ole shovel.

Later.
I have to disagree, I was pulling a boat when the same thing happened, the more I slowed down (by releasing the gas), the more it went from side to side. I punched the gas, and the trailer straightened up.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by CAkid88
I have to disagree, I was pulling a boat when the same thing happened, the more I slowed down (by releasing the gas), the more it went from side to side. I punched the gas, and the trailer straightened up.
If the trailer has electric brakes and the vehicle has an electric brake controller, hitting the manual brake switch on the controller has the same effect as well.

Quick Reply: General towing advice