Towing & Hauling

Electric Brake Control Wiring ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Brake Control Wiring ?'s

Maybe someone can help here.

I have a 98 F-150 XLT 4x4 supercab with the 4.6L engine with the installed tow package and 7-pin harness.

I am the second owner of the truck, so as a result none of the pigtail wiring or plug adapters were in the truck when I bought it. I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy electric brake controler for my new snowmobile trailer.

As I have mentioned none of the pigtail harness or fuses came with the truck and I want to use a factory plug harness with the brake controler. I have a 02 Explorer XLT with the 4.6L and the towing package with the 7-pin harness. This truck I bought new and it came with the pigtail harness for the electric brake control plug.

Is the wiring for the brake control plug the same for both vehicles. Can I use the Explorer's harness and wiring digram in the F-150, or is it different?

Also, I read archives that you need to insert some fuses into the fuse box in the engine compartment to get the charging circut running for the trailer. Is this correct?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
I have one that I got with my truck, but I'll NEVER use it. So tell you what..if your other one doesn't work out, you pay for shipping and you can have mine.

Let me know what you decide.

Andrew

Old 12-23-2003, 04:22 PM
NICE!!!

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know. It's not so much the "buying it from the dealer" thing, its the"I bet I can make this work" thng!

Old 12-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Tonight when I get home I'll dig mine out and post the part number off of it. Hopefully that will help you.

Andrew

Old 12-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Satis

Details about the one that came with my truck:

Ford part #2L3T 15A416 BA

It has a 6-pin - 5-wire plug, two relays (one larger than the other)

Compare this to the one with your explorer and see if it'll match up.

Andrew

Old 12-23-2003, 08:04 PM
You can also check with any parts store that sells hitches. I know Hidden Hitch makes an electric brake pigtail, I've seen it retail for $15-$20. As far as relays, check your owner's manual for the trailer battery relay and trailer brake relay, then pop the top off the power distribution box and check to see that those relays are in place.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Thanks Guys!

Everything I was looking for and then some!

Old 12-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Can't help you with the extra fuses or relay's, but you can also get a pigtail for the Prodigy that will plug into the truck directly for around $10.00.

That's what I did and it was a 15 miniute install, including mounting and setting it up!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Electric Brake Control Wiring ?'s