3 Inch lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3 Inch lift

I have been thinking of lifting my truck a few inches. I don't need anything more than a 3 inch lift. Too old to climb much higher.

What should I expect to pay for a 3 inch body lift or a 3 inch suspension. lift. I realize the suspension is more expensive but what are the advantages?

I plan on keeping the truck indefinately. Maybe pass it on to my Grandson when he's old enough. I'm concerned with the long term effect on the truck.

Thanks, skip

Old 12-09-2002, 09:10 AM
kev
Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift _ Part Number 863

Available at summitracing.com for $125.

This is the cheapest route to go. All suspension lifts will cost $1000 or more. If you go suspension, Id recommend the 4" rancho lift or 5" RCD lift.

I am very happy with my body lift. Check out my site for pictures of my truck and I also have the body lift instructions in my gallery. You can read them over and determine if you would want to tackle installing the lift yourself or not.

kev

Old 12-09-2002, 11:18 AM
3 inch lift

I used the part number you gave and didn't work. Its hard to install that kit? I'm not a mechanic...

Old 12-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Old 12-09-2002, 01:08 PM
kev
I think it is PRA-PA-863 or something like that. Just look up Performance Accessories and it will list every kit they have and then scan down to the F-150. It is even in their bimonthly catalog.

It takes about a full weekend to install the kit. It isn't hard, doesn't require and specific tools, but it is just very time consuming.

Do a search for posts on my name, kev, over the past year. I have explained my experience in installing the lift in great detail numerous times.

I have actually heard it is harder and takes longer to install the suspension lifts because of those stubborn bolts in the suspension systems of our trucks.

kev

Old 12-11-2002, 05:51 PM
It a look at the future

Wow Kev, Looking at your truck is like looking into the future. My truck is just the same as your. That is the look I want..Same color, wheeels and tires.

How do the 35" fit the wheelwells? How do the Pro Comps fit on the stock wheels?? I like the looks of the wheels , plus I already own them.

Also, what about the Speedometer? Did you have to adjust it? Who did the adjustment? How much did it cost?

What other little things could you do when you have the frame and body separated? Like polyurethene bushings rust proofing or other maintence that yopu think would be easier done at the same time. Taking the truck off the road for a week to 10 days would not be a real big problem.

I save a few of your pic's to get me motivated to get the project ready for spring. I plan on buying the items a little at a time until I can do it all at once.

Thanks for your help....skip

Old 12-13-2002, 03:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Kev,

If you have a moment, please email me, I'd like to ask you a question.

Thanks
Alex
alex-j@cogeco.ca

Old 12-18-2002, 08:33 AM
3 Inch Lift

Parmetta,

KEV is right. Expect a full weekend (and a case of beer) to install the PA 3" body lift yourself, if you are using basic tools. However, based on my experience, if you know someone with air tools, or you can rent them, that is truely the way to go. Many of the cab bolts will only allow you to turn them about an 1/8" at a time with ratchet wrenches. This is because of the rubber bushings they screw into. The air tools will zip them right out in no time. Also, I had a hard time getting the torque head bolts out of the bed and wound up grinding them off. The PA kit comes with replacement bolts. Also, the kit comes with great instructions for the installation. I also recommend the gap guards to hide the space between your body and frame. They will give that factory, clean appearance. Good luck! I did the lift on my '97 4x4 xtra cab LB, and added AR 16" x 10" rims, and 315 75R 16 all terrrains, and I am very happy with the look and ride. I need to work on my photo album but here is a picture just after I finished it. Of course, it was raining.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=1831

Quick Reply: 3 Inch lift