Drifting is back

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Drifting is back

I'm getting really tired of dealing with suspension issues. I need some help... again.

To make a long story short:

-All suspension components and steering components are new.
-Truck is lowered 2"/2"
-Truck has a camber kit to remove camber from the drop
-Shop messed up alignment which resulted in a nightmare involving lose control arms.
-Performance shop fixes alignment and all is good for a month and a half.

Last April 2013, the rack was replaced. They did a long rack so all new tie rods (inner and outer). I noticed a clunk in the wheel and slightly audible when turning left at low speeds right after this was done. I did not bring it back. Now the truck is doing it almost all the time and it is drifting. If I hit a bridge on the highway I feel it really bad in the wheel and under my feet. The truck requires constant correction and it's even worse at highway speeds. It has gotten worse and worse the past few weeks.

This morning I checked the torque on the hub and obvious parts I could access. Do you think Ford failed to fully tighten the inner tie rods to the rack? I'm wondering since the clunking started right after the rack was done. The outers seem tight and to spec. I can't get the lower control arms to move when I put my wrench on them so I think I'm ok there. I'm at wits end, I've had nothing but issues the past 2 years and the only time I've been fine is when I have done the work myself.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 12-31-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Any ideas?

I called two of my friends who are good with this stuff and they are thinking what I am as well. They said since I checked most of the problem areas that makes good sense the inners may be loose. Also, when I am driving, the slightest raise in the road (strips of tar, cracks etc) make the tire that is running it over feel like it is wobbling and the truck tries to dart. It is so sloppy. This is with my winter stock wheels/tires so it would be a complete mess with my wide summer set up. And when holding the bottom of the steering wheel, the clunking can really be felt much more than holding it at the top.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man I don't know what to say other than what you've already come to the conclusion of. I know from experience the big heavy wheels sure don't help with troubleshooting.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:14 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd recommend you take it back to the performance shop that did your last alignment and get them to look at it in detail. It sounds like they know what they are doing.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Thanks guys, GLC, I'm thinking you might be right. It's a bit of a drive, but they know their stuff. It might be worth saving a headache

Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 AM

So they have my truck on the lift. They didn't find anything at first but know they found a snapped end link. They're ordering a matching Moog for me. Its annoying because they are only a year and a half old. I'm curious if that could cause the wandering.

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I heard clunking when turning I was thinking end links. I would ask to see the alignment results. What do you have for a drop? Coils? Control arms? Struts? I wonder if your caster is out of spec, that will cause drifting and constant correction. Also with drop parts you will end up with bump steer. Which make the truck turn when you hit a bump. The only drop part that avoids this is the Belltech Spindle, oh yeah I have a set for sale

Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear buddy. I'd be close to the point of putting a for sale sign on her if its two years in and no clear skies up ahead. Maybe I'm exaggerating. Stealth, I don't think big and heavy wheels have anything to do. Been running 33" m/t for 35K miles problem free. Anyways as always hope yah get her fixed John

Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Yup it was the end link causing the havoc. Not even 2 years old There is still a slightl clunk but that is something else. I can believe a broken endlink would cause that much havoc.
Az, I'm going to swap my Belltech struts to the 1" setting and do the spindle when I get a DD hopefully later in 2014. I think that's the way to go

Thanks Arnaldo, it's aggravating, but seems good now

Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm I will be in MA for thanksgiving this year, and if I get first class tickets overweight baggage is no extra charge....

Old 01-10-2014, 01:11 PM

If you have them then maybe we can work something out

Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Sorry im late to diagnosis problem

Old 01-12-2014, 06:57 PM

Well I spoke too soon. Clunking is still there and the truck continues to wander The endlink has made the truck much more stable.

I'll try to describe this the best I can. I can ALWAYS get the clunk when the road turns and there is a bump. This gives feedback right to the steering wheel (esp at the bottom) and it clunks on whatever side the tire that goes over the bump. This is why I'm thinking tie rod or rack related. I'm going to check the shocks to be sure and and the rack to the cross member.

What pisses me the hell off is it's not my truck. It's the people who touch it and create new issues. A buddy said maybe it's time for something newer, but I laughed and said it's the idiots who mess my **** up. I can't fathom that this has go on and on and on for so long. I get the the cause of one thing and then another places messes up something else.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
have you done the sway bar bushings? in the middle mounting points on the frame?

Quick Reply: Drifting is back