BIG problem with Rancho Quicklift Loaded...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BIG problem with Rancho Quicklift Loaded...

Okay so I have the Quicklift Loaded on my 2004 F150 4x4, and my truck is anything but level, after the springs settled I measure a full 2" difference between front and rear.

Working with Rancho they say they spring rate on the Quicklift is too soft for my specific truck. I don't quite get that.

What is so special about an XLT 5.4L 4x4 Supercab? I mean it is kind of a belly button layout...

Anyway Rancho recommended replacing the coil springs I got from them in their product with the OEM ones from the truck (not an option, they are gone although I can get new ones from Tasca for about $170.00 / pair).

What else can I do to make these things work right? Rancho is being very slow in replying to my inquiry about warranty if I swap out the springs for OE ones, and honestly, I don't feel I should have to pay to make THEIR product right. What other options are there? I have even considered those rubber bowtie spacer things you jam into the springs, but I felt that was a bit too redneck even for me...

And please don't come on here bragging up Bilisteins, been down that road before and it still won't solve my coil spring problem...

Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 inches down in the front? as in about the factory rake with no leveling kit?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
What is your truck doing exactly? 2" too high or 2" too low?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Effectively the truck now that the springs have settled, is about 1/2" higher than stock. Not counting the height the tires add mind you... So the distance from the center line of the hub to the top center of the wheel arch is 2" lower in the front than the rear. With the stock / autospring setup with a brush guard no winch, it sat dead level... When I first installed the Rancho less than 3 months ago, it sat maybe 1/4 or 3/8" lower, still acceptable, but lower... Now it is almost like no leveling kit at all is installed...

Okay I got sick of waiting and Called Rancho, or at least their parent company Tenneco. At least via phone they say no warranty issues if I replace their springs with the OE springs. I can get replacements from Tasca, but this is downright annoying if not flat out false advertising on Rancho's part about the provided lift with NO caveats about packages or configurations. The consumer is just left to know whether or not their unadvertised spring rate will work... I am feeling somewhat ripped off by Rancho right now because, well their product does not work as advertised, and their solution will cost me yet more money.

Last edited by dbhost; 11-07-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM
I think what might be the issue with the quicklifts is that they were designed around the new f150's which are lighter in the front end. I've had mine on for approx. 1 year and they've settled about a 1/2 lower than the rear; which is okay with me. But since these trucks are heavier in the front end and you're adding a wench and a brush guard, its putting more stress on the springs, causing them to settle lower.

I still have my stock struts and springs I could sell you, but shipping to Texas might be a little much.

Last edited by 07cruiser; 11-07-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM
What are the stock specs on your truck? There appear to be different springs for different models / option packages...

Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Why not just put an Autospring on top? I can't remember if you're one of the guys that used to have one and didn't like it. But that's $70 vs. $170 and will actually work. I know the stock coils worked for the other guy who did it, but I agree that they shouldn't be needed.

I also think it's possible that you need to take those QLs out and see if they're actually set on the highest setting. It seems to me that the only way they're THAT low is if 1)something is wrong with your particular set, or 2) they aren't on the right setting

I've always thought your truck has looked low for a leveled 4X4 in all the recent pics I've seen, so something isn't right.

Post a pic of your ball joint angles too!

What was the setup here?
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0&ref=gnr-prev
Cause this looks fine to me, but it's from 2009. This looks level, actually a little nose-high, as well
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...42-191113.html

And this is current and looks stock and low
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...uestion-2.html

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-07-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by dbhost
What are the stock specs on your truck? There appear to be different springs for different models / option packages...
07' xlt crew cab 5.4 4x4.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Why not just put an Autospring on top? I can't remember if you're one of the guys that used to have one and didn't like it. But that's $70 vs. $170 and will actually work. I know the stock coils worked for the other guy who did it, but I agree that they shouldn't be needed.

I also think it's possible that you need to take those QLs out and see if they're actually set on the highest setting. It seems to me that the only way they're THAT low is if 1)something is wrong with your particular set, or 2) they aren't on the right setting

I've always thought your truck has looked low for a leveled 4X4 in all the recent pics I've seen, so something isn't right.

Post a pic of your ball joint angles too!

What was the setup here?
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0&ref=gnr-prev
Cause this looks fine to me, but it's from 2009. This looks level, actually a little nose-high, as well
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...42-191113.html

And this is current and looks stock and low
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...uestion-2.html
Yeah, the first pic was with an Autospring 2.5", and actually, it measured dead flat, not nose high... For some reason photos don't show it...

I have actually considered a 1.5 to 2" spacer on the QLs... They are not height adjustable, but rather dampening rate adjustable shocks. The Bilisteins are height adjustable...

The second pic is still the Autospring / stock coilover setup. It is actually much earlier than the first, probably taken in 2006 when I first had the mods on it... Still had the BFGs, By 2008, the trees back where this was taken were ALL down by Hurricane Ike, and in 2007 I had a toolbox in there. It had to be 2006...

And yes in recent pics it seemed low. When I first installed the QLs, it measured 1/2" nose down. That was prior to the alignment and a road trip to shake it out... It all settled in and is now 2" nose low, which means I am way lower than I should be. I will try to figure out how to get a photo of the ball joints.

One thing I did notice when installing the QL compared to the stock spring / Autospring spacer is, it was a LOT easier putting the QL in place than the stocker with the Autospring... I didn't have to wrestle it in or push the lower control arm down to make it all go back together....

I do not want to go nose high, and if I could be reassured that it would stay at this height relative to any spacers, then I would seriously consider tossing in an Autospring 2" kit... http://autospringcorp.com/index.php?...&products_id=6

The ball joint angles are nearly stock right now. I can snap some pics this weekend. Getting too dark by the time I can get out and snap a pic...

Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Common issue as of lately with these QLs. The most common answer is Rancho was cheap and tried to make just 1 part # product to work in 2wd & 4wd applications. As we all know, 4wd springs are stronger and taller by a hair. So to me, they are false advertising for 4wd owners. This is more of a perfect match for 2wd guys. I hardly drive my truck but I kept my stock assemblies for just this reason in case I am not happy with the stance this spring.

Sad thing is, they will warranty the strut if you remove the rancho spring to put OEM on, but then your still on your own of tearing it down and installing, and paying $70+ for another alignment.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Ahh I figured they were adjustable like the Bilsteins.

If it measures dead-flat or within .5" of being dead flat, it looks nose-high to me, so that's probably why it appeared that way to me.

If you don't want to be nose-high, I would just get a 2" AS and then a 3" block for the rear. It looks absolutely stellar IMO, and even better with that touch of rake. I've seen a few do this and it's by far the best look for me. I did 2" up front and 2" out back on my 2wd and ended up with about 1" of rake after being nose-high with the level only and I love how it looks. A 1 1/2" block may have been better, but still looks good. Doing front and rear together you'd still be at around the same cost as getting more stock coils. The blocks are super easy to swap out too

Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Just got off the phone with Rancho. They will comp the cost of the replacement coils if I want to go that way... Just need the receipt for a reimbursement claim...

I have to wait a couple of weeks due to other issues (My debit card went bad, bank hasn't issued a new one yet...) and will be VERY happy to get it done once that comes in. It will be time to call Tasca Ford...

Last edited by dbhost; 11-08-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM

I'm surprised they stepped up to cover that expense. I'd want something concrete, in writing, saying that they know how much the coils cost and that they will completely cover it

Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor
Talking

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Common issue as of lately with these QLs. The most common answer is Rancho was cheap and tried to make just 1 part # product to work in 2wd & 4wd applications. As we all know, 4wd springs are stronger and taller by a hair. So to me, they are false advertising for 4wd owners. This is more of a perfect match for 2wd guys. I hardly drive my truck but I kept my stock assemblies for just this reason in case I am not happy with the stance this spring.

Sad thing is, they will warranty the strut if you remove the rancho spring to put OEM on, but then your still on your own of tearing it down and installing, and paying $70+ for another alignment.
Just some clarification on this. We have two part numbers for the two springs - one for 2WD and one for 4WD.

Originally Posted by dbhost
Just got off the phone with Rancho. They will comp the cost of the replacement coils if I want to go that way... Just need the receipt for a reimbursement claim...

I have to wait a couple of weeks due to other issues (My debit card went bad, bank hasn't issued a new one yet...) and will be VERY happy to get it done once that comes in. It will be time to call Tasca Ford...
Glad they were able to work with you.

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I'm surprised they stepped up to cover that expense. I'd want something concrete, in writing, saying that they know how much the coils cost and that they will completely cover it
Our warranty is really strong, save that receipt.

Limited Lifetime Warranty (limited to qualifying Rancho® products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

Limited Lifetime Warranty Qualifying Products:
Rancho® quickLIFT™
Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS5000™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® Light Truck Suspension Components

Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m_djk1RQ2Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

whole clip

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W45DRy7M1no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick Reply: BIG problem with Rancho Quicklift Loaded...