Q about Rear blocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q about Rear blocks

I see two kinds of rear block kits, some with rear bumpstops and some without. A readylift kit has them and quotes as "OEM style" and Autospring for instance does not have them. I think it would take a very heavy load to cause them to hit, but since my truck is in getting some clutch friction plate packs I can't check to see if my stock blocks have these bumpstops.

OEM blocks do have these built in? Autospring seems to be on top of their game so I'm not sure why they don't have them as well.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
My '07

and my '77 both have them.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-07-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Ok thanks, looks like the readylift is pretty much the OEM clone only taller. I"ll look to go with those.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I am guessing but I believe the bump stops are there because of the increased travel between the bumper and the axle. On a 2x4 there is no block so the axle hits the bumper. On any 4x4 the block increases the distance so you still need a surface to hit the bump stop. If you didnt I think you would try and over compress the shock.

I have only been thinking about this lately as I am going to lower my truck by taking the rear block out.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by the_cosworth
I have only been thinking about this lately as I am going to lower my truck by taking the rear block out.
How much are you planning on lowering? I have the same idea about lowering except my plan is to take out the 2" OEM block and replace it with a 1" block

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
How much are you planning on lowering? I have the same idea about lowering except my plan is to take out the 2" OEM block and replace it with a 1" block
Im taking my 2" block out completely. I had a shop make me new ubolts that should work. I will take a photo tonight after I do it.

Shouldnt cause any problems as that is the stock way the 2x4's were designed.

Only concern could be keeping the shocks in permanent engagement, but it shouldnt be any different than towing a lot or having a spacecab.

Quick Reply: Q about Rear blocks