Regrets of Lifting A Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joh408
This says kit but then it also says front lower actually so who knows
http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1...t00232342.html
Oh, that kit you have posted there is the control arms and coils. All you would need after that is the engine cage/shock hoop, shocks, and spindles after that to make it the whole set-up.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Only regret...
Trying to strap my 3 year old daughter into her child seat. Its in the middle of the back seat.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chaos08
Only regret...
Trying to strap my 3 year old daughter into her child seat. Its in the middle of the back seat.

dude I just picked up the $50 pink booster for my 3yr old (wally), much better than the last one where the strap was suppose to go through the back, making her leg room shrink by 4-5". Look linto that one, strap er in next to the door and still have her leg room.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Suspended
my regrets on my f150 was w/ a 6" lift and 35's if i filled the bed up or pulled a trailer my truck couldn't move to get out of its own way. it was a PIA to get in my toolbox and to get anything out of the bed. when i wasn't using it as a truck i liked it, wish i'd have just left it farely stock and bought a second vehicle sooner.

my new truck is just leveled out w/ 35's and is all around better for my needs. still can be used as a truck.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
my regrets on my f150 was w/ a 6" lift and 35's if i filled the bed up or pulled a trailer my truck couldn't move to get out of its own way. it was a PIA to get in my toolbox and to get anything out of the bed. when i wasn't using it as a truck i liked it, wish i'd have just left it farely stock and bought a second vehicle sooner.

my new truck is just leveled out w/ 35's and is all around better for my needs. still can be used as a truck.
2 things:

Gears
Use the rear tires as steps, that's what I do and it's easy to get anything from the back.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06yz250f

I had to move several yards of rock to my place and the thought of loading/unloading it from my truck had me looking for alternatives. A U-Haul open trailer with drop-down ramp for the wheelbarrow was about $25.00 for 24hrs!
UHaul Open Trailer
Well worth it and will always be my goto option when needing to haul or pickup anything that requires heavy lifting (ie. refrigerator, washer/dryer, etc).

Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
No regrets for me. My truck as been lifted since 05' and I'm still loving the look, even if it is a 2wd. The ride is a bit stiff, but this truck is not my DD. Since my truck is 2wd, the height isn't all that bad with the 6" lift and 33" tires, probably not much taller than a 4wd with a 3" body lift.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by _cashel
2 things:

Gears
Use the rear tires as steps, that's what I do and it's easy to get anything from the back.
tires as steps doesn't help but to look over the side of the bed. picking up at 50lb piece is still a PIA and then you gotta deal with getting off the tire w/ out scratching your truck. or climbing over and sliding it onto your tailgate then jumping down and grabbing it.

and gears, thought about it but didn't want to spend the money and yes i know, drop $1500 and it would have pretty much fixed that issue. I didn't imagine that 35's would kill that much power. Once it was tuned it was almost as good as before the tires, but i throw a 800lb load in the bed and it lost all power.

basically i learned a lifted truck wasn't for me for a DD. made it hard to do daily task. if you don't use your truck as a truck then i wouldn't have a problem lifting a truck again.

I'm not saying a lifted truck is bad, but if you use your bed often you might want to re-consider and see if it's worth it to you. to me it wasn't.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I don't use my bed often considering it had a hard tonneau on it when I bought it! I mainly use it for weedeaters and pull a trailer for the rest. I found a deal for a full Pro Comp lift all brand new for 1200. I think i'm just going to get it. Does that sound like a good deal to you all?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
My regret....... is only lifting it 6". At the time it seemed like the best choice. Now 4 years later I want to tuck 37" under the truck and I find that Skyjacker tells me not to lift it any taller using the 6" kit I have under the rig right now. I see so many guys on here with a spacer under there extended coilover set up. Seems like a good way to gain another 2". Skyjacker told me that it will put to much stress on the front suspension, including the A-Arms!?!?!
Not like I really ever 4x4 this rig.
Might go ahead and do it anyways if someone on here could ever point me in the right direction!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by powderhound
My regret....... is only lifting it 6". At the time it seemed like the best choice. Now 4 years later I want to tuck 37" under the truck and I find that Skyjacker tells me not to lift it any taller using the 6" kit I have under the rig right now. I see so many guys on here with a spacer under there extended coilover set up. Seems like a good way to gain another 2". Skyjacker told me that it will put to much stress on the front suspension, including the A-Arms!?!?!
Not like I really ever 4x4 this rig.
Might go ahead and do it anyways if someone on here could ever point me in the right direction!
does the kit come with new shocks/coils or does it use a 6" Spacer? If it uses a spacer (most base kits do) then you will not want to add another spacer on top of that. A Performance Accessories body lift is the next best thing. 9" Of lift should allow for all 37" Tires and a few 38" Tires with the right back spacing of wheels

Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
does the kit come with new shocks/coils or does it use a 6" Spacer? If it uses a spacer (most base kits do) then you will not want to add another spacer on top of that. A Performance Accessories body lift is the next best thing. 9" Of lift should allow for all 37" Tires and a few 38" Tires with the right back spacing of wheels
Actually it has the Skyjacker Extended coils. No spacers under it now. The rear added a leaf and a 3" or so block. Who would sell a coil over spacer and a 5-6" block and hardware for the rear? Ohh yeh, probly need new rear shocks to right?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Rize makes a 6" block and has hardware.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Lift regrets

My f150 isnt lifted, but my Jeep cj-7 is. And its only a 4" lift with 33" mud terrains. The regret is the Massachusetts lift laws. The measurement is to the bottom of the door, it can only be 4" over stock height. Ive recieved a ticket for modified vehicle height. I think it was this months issue of 4wheel and offroad that they covered lift laws in various states, you almost need a lawyer with a degree in engineering to understand the MA. laws. You can fight the tickets. There is a formula that takes width into the equasion. Its something like , for every inch you go taller , you should go an inch wider. But its still all up to the officer who is inspecting your vehicle , whether he/she thinks its safe.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Jon Bourget
Its something like , for every inch you go taller , you should go an inch wider.
sounds like theres your excuse to go to one tons and sprung over...

Quick Reply: Regrets of Lifting A Truck?