35's with 2" LK and 1.5" AAL Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35's with 2" LK and 1.5" AAL Trouble?

I am looking to put a 2" LK and a 1.5" AAL on my truck to run 35's.... I have searched and found lots of helpful advice about which set up to run and this is what I have decided on. But I was wondering if any of ya'll who have done anything similar to this have had any long term effects that have been costly to repair or just a damn nussaince?

Thanks for all the hel pin the past and now.

Last edited by 07hamline150; 10-08-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by 07hamline150
I am looking to put a 2" LK and a 1.5" AAL on my truck to run 35's.... I have searched and found lots of helpful advice about which set up to run and this is what I have decided on. But I was wondering if any of ya'll who have done anything similar to this have had any long term effects that have been costly to repair or just a damn nussaince?

Thanks for all the hel pin the past and now.

I think it depends on what leveling kit you use. I'm biased towards the two-piece kits that split the lift between a urethane isolater in the spring and an aluminum spacer on top. That keeps your CV angles closer to stock, won't stress the ball joint or the strut. They are more expensive than the "cheap" ones, and a lot more work to install, but IMHO it's better to do it that way.

I know some people who have put 35"s under that truck with just a leveling kit and AAL, but I think it requires some trimming, and will depend on what tire/rim package you choose. If they rub, they rub, and you'll know that right away.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ibrocun
I think it depends on what leveling kit you use. I'm biased towards the two-piece kits that split the lift between a urethane isolater in the spring and an aluminum spacer on top. That keeps your CV angles closer to stock, won't stress the ball joint or the strut. They are more expensive than the "cheap" ones, and a lot more work to install, but IMHO it's better to do it that way.

I know some people who have put 35"s under that truck with just a leveling kit and AAL, but I think it requires some trimming, and will depend on what tire/rim package you choose. If they rub, they rub, and you'll know that right away.
And how does this method create better CV angles than the traditional spacer style leveling kit?

I am personaly not putting urethane, aluminum, rubber, etc. in a spot where STEEL should be.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM

I don't see how it helps the CV angle. You are still increasing the overall length of the spring by the same amount.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Wes28376
I don't see how it helps the CV angle. You are still increasing the overall length of the spring by the same amount.
By putting a spacer in the spring you get some of your ride height from the added compression of the spring itself. Some will argue that it stiffens the ride, but I've driven several trucks lifted this way and I don't notice it. But the upside is that the cycle of the strut does not stress the ball joints or the CV boots. I know of several installers who won't use the single spacer style because they have had to replace blown-out CV boots.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...-but-when.html

Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM
By putting a spacer in the spring you get some of your ride height from the added compression of the spring itself. Some will argue that it stiffens the ride, but I've driven several trucks lifted this way and I don't notice it. But the upside is that the cycle of the strut does not stress the ball joints or the CV boots. I know of several installers who won't use the single spacer style because they have had to replace blown-out CV boots.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...-but-when.html
Preloading the spring will still change your angles just like a spacer. If the suspension does not come to rest at parallel angels whether its from preload or from a spacer your have created the same issue. There are no leveling kits that will not change your angles, your only solution is a full suspension lift.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I have been running a 2.5" leveling kit and a aal with 35's had to some minor trimming, nothing noticeable but dont rub at all now just full steer lock in left in reverse. But its a cheap way to get lift out of your truck and I guess the leveling kit wears out your ball joints prematurely as I have been told but havent heard any stories yet of people going through this yet because of there leveling kit. There are so many members on this site running leveling kits and everyone recommends them and you will rarely hear someone jump on here and tell you otherwise. Just dont get a 3" spacer stick to 2.5 and lower. The 35's on this setup has been great for me, not a nuisance at all.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by aPINCHbetter90
I have been running a 2.5" leveling kit and a aal with 35's had to some minor trimming, nothing noticeable but dont rub at all now just full steer lock in left in reverse. But its a cheap way to get lift out of your truck and I guess the leveling kit wears out your ball joints prematurely as I have been told but havent heard any stories yet of people going through this yet because of there leveling kit. There are so many members on this site running leveling kits and everyone recommends them and you will rarely hear someone jump on here and tell you otherwise. Just dont get a 3" spacer stick to 2.5 and lower. The 35's on this setup has been great for me, not a nuisance at all.

What all needed to be trimmed? I am interested in a similar setup. I thought I read somewhere that using the stock rims helps. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 PM
This is the trimming on the inner wheel well

This is where I cut on the plastic below the bumper

if you choose to use stock wheels you can run 35's on them no problem. You can also run after market wheels if they are 8" wide and have a back spacing of atleast 5.5". Mine are 17x8's with 5.5" of bs.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Preloading the spring will still change your angles just like a spacer. If the suspension does not come to rest at parallel angels whether its from preload or from a spacer your have created the same issue. There are no leveling kits that will not change your angles, your only solution is a full suspension lift.
It's a matter of degrees (no pun intended).

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Agree 100%. The only way I know to prevent the increased angle of the CVs is to drop the front diff.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 AM
agree

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Amount of trimming required will also depend on what tire you decide to go with.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
And how does this method create better CV angles than the traditional spacer style leveling kit?

I am personaly not putting urethane, aluminum, rubber, etc. in a spot where STEEL should be.
The urethane spacer replaces the one that is already there from the factory with a bigger one. The factory one is there to reduce noise and vibration.

Quick Reply: 35's with 2" LK and 1.5" AAL Trouble?