2005 FX4 Kidney buster.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 FX4 Kidney buster.

My 2005 FX4 about beats me to death. I bought it because it had 4WD and I got a good deal on it, but the ride is rough. I don't do trails or off-road driving; I mostly got the 4WD for the snow & ice in the winter. Anybody got any suggestions on what can smooth out the ride? New springs, shocks, what?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the tires? What size are they? What kind? Improper balanced tires can make a ride very horrible. If the tires are not the problem, then its obviously something to do with the suspension. Don't know about the FX4 stock shocks, but the XL and XLT shocks are crap and usually don't last that long. Atleast thats what the majority on this site say and thats me included. Thats why I got some Bilsteins leveling shocks.

Anyways, if you haven't allready, I would start by checking your tires and making sure there not the problem. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

How many miles? What shocks/tires/air pressure.
The truck rides great from the factory. It will ride worse (normally more bounce) as the shocks wear out. I have also noticed that a lot of people run way too much air pressure in their tires, like running them at max pressure which will give it a horrible ride and bad wear pattern.
The Bilstein 5100's ride nice but they are more firm than stock. No bounce out of them but it is definitely a firmer ride.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 AM
All im gonna say is that its a truck

Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by mhockey9090
All im gonna say is that its a truck
love that statement!!!!!! but shocks and tires might help???

Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bugman1400
My 2005 FX4 about beats me to death. I bought it because it had 4WD and I got a good deal on it, but the ride is rough. I don't do trails or off-road driving; I mostly got the 4WD for the snow & ice in the winter. Anybody got any suggestions on what can smooth out the ride? New springs, shocks, what?
Agree with everything above, especially "it's a truck" comment!!
Check your tire psi...if near max, drop your air pressure and that will make a huge difference. Since it's an '05, you may need new shocks anyway. I like the Bilsteins but consider getting an adjustable shock, ie. ProComp MX6, Rancho 9000xl, etc. This way you can dial-in both tire psi and shock dampening firmness for the ride you're looking for.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
Agree with everything above, especially "it's a truck" comment!!
Check your tire psi...if near max, drop your air pressure and that will make a huge difference. Since it's an '05, you may need new shocks anyway. I like the Bilsteins but consider getting an adjustable shock, ie. ProComp MX6, Rancho 9000xl, etc. This way you can dial-in both tire psi and shock dampening firmness for the ride you're looking for.

I agree with this.. But like i said its a truck and they are not meant to be infinity's or bmw's ...... I just laughed when i saw a thread about a guy comparing the ride of his F150 to a ford focus and it just blew my mind. But shocks and tires are prob the things to look at first

Old 08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey Bugman,

I feel your pain. I've got an '03 FX4. FX4s come from the factory with Rancho shocks. I've had the truck for about a year. The first thing I did was replace the front shocks with new RS5ooo ranchos. It still rides a lot harsher than my '01 2wd f150.
From what I've read here, I believe that bilstiens my give a better ride so I'm planning on replaceing all four with the bilstiens when I can afford it or buy a 2010 lol.
The 9000 adjustable ranchos may work well too.

Good luck

Ford One

Old 08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by mhockey9090
I agree with this.. But like i said its a truck and they are not meant to be infinity's or bmw's ...... I just laughed when i saw a thread about a guy comparing the ride of his F150 to a ford focus and it just blew my mind. But shocks and tires are prob the things to look at first

I guess if a guy wants a "truck" but wants it to ride like a bmw or infinity, he can buy that POS Honda Ridgeline!!! I cringe when refering to that pile as a truck...

But believe me, I hear what you're saying. We all have trucks on here and I am sure they all ride differently for a variety of reasons. With my current setup, it rides WAAY better than my stock FX4 and better still than when I had my leveling kit. What I am saying is that it does not have to be one way or the other: Harsh as hell or soft like a sedan. There's tons of room in-between to dial-in the ride you prefer. I personally like a stiffer, more stable, truck-like ride, but if too stiff, the rear end bounces out from under the truck on rough roads...that can get unnerving especially on a curved highway and the rear end bounces out a few inches at 65mph!! I am sure we ALL know what that feels like! But a simple psi change and/or a click on the adjustable shocks and it goes away. That's all I'm saying...

Quick Reply: 2005 FX4 Kidney buster.