quick leveling kit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick leveling kit question

so i just ordered my new wheels and tires from 4WP and i need to get a leveling kit for my screw before i get them.

i have talked to les schwab and they quoted me at $295 installed for a leveling kit.

Should i just do this? they are quick and easy and very pleasant to deal with

or

should i just buy a spacer online and then have them install it?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of leveling kit? There is a huge variety. If it installs in the coil assembly (such as daystar) don't do it. Something that bolts on top of the coil is ideal, like the autospring.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:34 PM
mhm never asked that, maybe ill just buy it at 4WP and have it installed there but they charged up the yang for install

Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Get an AS kit!

They are great to deal with direct, and you can do the install yourself, 70 bucks for a 2.5 inch kit!

www.autospringcorp.com

Old 11-29-2008, 03:40 PM

I think a lot of guys here buy the autospring spacer on ebay for pretty cheap I think.
Wait a few minutes I'm sure someone who has them will chime in.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Brian- Haha, I just did.

I ordered mine off of ebay, but you can deal with them direct for the same price and they'll help you with whatever you need.

The kit is very easy to install.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
There is nothing wrong with coil spring spacer systems like the ones that Daystar & Explorer Pro Comp offer. Yes, it is more complicated and harder to install. However, you get two separate spacer units made of polyurethane. This spreads the stress out, absorbs impact better, and eliminates "metal on metal" rubbing. There is a reason why these units were engineered in this manner, as opposed to just placing a block of metal on top of your strut.

And while you're at it, and shopping around, compare the metal grades. All of these spacers are made with different types of metals, and some will advertise "laser cut" or "machined", et cetera. Take your time to research what all these terms mean, how they will translate to you in the real world, and how they effect your truck. Does one type of metal offer better stress resistance than the others? Is one type of metal better in the elements, and does a better job of corrosion resistance?

Good luck and don't forget the alignment. You will need an alignment after you install your leveling kit. Here is what my Explorer Pro Comp Coil Spring Spacer looks like installed:

Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
well heres the deal, i want the best ride quality but i also dont want to have anything go bad down the line.

now $70 is a pretty good deal and im sure i could install it if i had a few pictures of it installed or if somebody has a write up

but how much stiffer is it going to make it ride?

im getting 18 on 33's and since it is a DD and almost all city driving i would like to maintain some ride quality

Old 11-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I have almost the same thing as you going on man.

My truck is my DD, i have 18 inch moto metal 957's and 33 inch BFG a/t's going on.

I dont have the AS kit on yet, but it's highly recomended by hundreds of folks on this site.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 PM
how is that riding?

i got the XD hoss with 33 BFG a/t also, should be here sometime this coming week

does that setup still work without a leveling kit?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 PM

A bolt on spacer like the autospring will not affect the ride. It does not increase the stiffness of the spring, does not change the amount of suspension travel or anything. It simply moves the whole coil-over unit down 2 or 2.5 inches. The factory spring and shock remain unchanged, no metal on metal rubbing will occur if everything is tight. The only semi negative effect is that with the suspension now able to droop 2.5" more than stock, you will pull the upper balljoint at a larger angle when you do top out the suspension. The good is that the suspension under full compression will be 2.5 higher than stock, meaning that a bigger tire won't get stuffed up into the fender so much.

A spacer like the daystar or procomp will effect the ride. You are effectively reducing your available suspension travel with these kits. The suspension will still top out (wheels off the ground) in the same spot as stock. However, you're suspension will not compress as far as it would be able to stock, or it will take a lot more force to compress all the way (which would allow bigger tires to rub). Your ride height is now 2" higher, but the shock will top out easier. Does that make sense? It shouldn't ride more "stiff" per se, but you will run the risk of topping the shock out more often over speed bumps, etc. It is effectively the equivalent of "cranking torsion bars" on a 97-03 F150 (or anything else). You keep the same range of travel for the most part, but placing ride height near the top of the travel. During light use, daily driving, you may not notice any difference in ride if the suspension isn't topping out, but if you use your truck much for more than the grocery store runs you'll probably notice a slightly worse ride quality.

Either kit will wear out the upper balljoints quicker due to more extreme angles in daily driving. A camburg upper control arm with uni-ball will make this better (but at a cost of 600 or so).

When I finally find an F150 that I want (and it doesn't get sold on my way to the dealership), I will start out with the autospring 2.5" kit. Then I'll add the camburg upper control arm. Then eventually I'll either get a fabtech 6" or the camburg coil-overs depending on how I like the ride height.

Last edited by brianjwilson; 11-29-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
A little off topic, but since this question is related; will Bilstein 5100's, (which are new shocks and a leveling kit all in one), have the same wear and tear on the upper ball joint as a spacer, and do they compress the spring making for a stiffer ride?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:50 PM
ok well the most off roading i will do would be driving through corn fields while hunting, as well as hitting a few speed bumps in the city.

so i shouldnt really have a problem with anything correct? i mean i wont top out the suspension i dont think?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 PM

I'm not trying to down-talk to daystar style spacers, I just think the autospring style makes more sense (may be what they use anyway). Also it is less expensive and easier to install. I see multiple reasons why the autospring works better, and I don't see any way that the daystar style is better. When you looks at the pro's and con's of each, the daystar style just doesn't make sense to me.
But it's your money and your truck.
I always try to research thing as much as possible before putting it on a vehicle, to make sure I won't have some negative effect or something I will regret later.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 PM
anyone have a install guide for the autospring that has pics? i would like to do it myself and save some money

Quick Reply: quick leveling kit question