need some info from you guys that have lifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some info from you guys that have lifts

I am looking at buying a 04-08 ford f150 4x4(4 door or ex-cabwith the 5.4).. I want to add a 6" lift with some 18's and some 35's..Just curious as to what i am looking at as far as up keep..Am i going to be changing out parts all the time and trannies..is it worth doing it or not.. I not going to be beat on it and it want get driven a whole lot cause i have a company truck that i drive during the week..i also will not be putting it in the mud it will be mostly for looks. I will however be towing my 18ft bass boat with it..Just trying to get all the info i can before making the leap and i know you guys know these trucks..thanks for any help

Old 11-22-2008, 09:22 PM
also are the 04's and up any better then the 97-03's

Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GO for it! The wear and tear on your truck is gonna be increased slightly because of the added stress of the larger tires. However, a stock truck that is abused is not gonna last as long as a lifted truck that is babied and taken care of.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're worried about wear, just don't stack a leveling kit on top of the suspension lift. This way, CV angles will stay the same as stock, and you won't have to worry about boots tearing/shafts breaking. Also, ball joints are considered high wear items on these trucks. If you are staying solely on the pavement, you really won't see any accelerated wear. Its when you push a lifted truck offroad in ways you wouldn't when it was stock is when things can break fast.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
if you're worried about wear, just don't stack a leveling kit on top of the suspension lift. This way, CV angles will stay the same as stock, and you won't have to worry about boots tearing/shafts breaking. Also, ball joints are considered high wear items on these trucks. If you are staying solely on the pavement, you really won't see any accelerated wear. Its when you push a lifted truck offroad in ways you wouldn't when it was stock is when things can break fast.
yeah if is do it it will just be the 6" sus with no other kind of leveling or body lift..I don't want it to high to where i can't pull the boat with it

Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 PM
you can put a drop hitch on it no matter how high you go. If it is strictly for looks like mine, then you will not have to worry about any major probs. until way later on. You will also see a drop in fuell milaege if you don't regear.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:16 PM
if your gonna be towin your bass boat you will probably need to regear it to 4.56's or 4.88s with those 35 inch tires. I haul hay with mine regeared at 4.56's and it does great

Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
makes a lot of sense to me - buy atruck and then jack it up so it is not relaible- not to mention the compromises in braking or handling. this is America do what you want and to hell with the rest of the people on the road.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah i am going to regear for sure..

Quick Reply: need some info from you guys that have lifts