Body lift vs suspension lift??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body lift vs suspension lift??

Just got my first Ford. F 150 Fx4 leather etc. I am new to this so please forgive the elementary questions. What is the difference between body lift and suspension lift? They both ( I believe ) appear to increase clearance between tires and wheel wells. I will be using truck mostly on road, a bit of "light" off road use such as sand. No plans on taking on the grand canyon. The truck has 17 inch rims. If I go with say a 6 inch lift can I stay with 17 and just get tires with "taller" sidewall so the tires dont looked dwarfed by the lift or will I have to go say 18 or 20?? Tire brand a big deal for example pay big bucks for Nitto or go less expensive?

Best place to buy rims and tires? Online and have installed or purchase loically??

Lastly, pay for brand like Fabtech or just go generic? Again no heavy off road and no plans to show the truck just looking for the "lifted" look with big *** tires at an "affordable" price but dont want to save money at expense of decreasing performance

Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
i'd say go with a 6" basic fabtech kit and some 35x12.50x17 BFGoodrich KM2's on some 17x9 wheels with 5-5.5" backspacing

Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks Russ

Appreciate the recommendation (I'll keep it in mind) but this does not address my questions about lifts

Jay

Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by drjay9051
Appreciate the recommendation (I'll keep it in mind) but this does not address my questions about lifts

Jay
sorry didnt get to that
difference between body lift and suspension lift is, 1) a body lift raises the body up off the frame more making more clearance for bigger tires and such. 2) a suspension lift actually lift everything frame and all
35's on 17's look good thats what i have so i'd stick with a 17" or 18" on a 35" tire. Most of the time you can get better deals locally just call around and sometimes when you buy locally you can get warranty's on the stuff you buy. Last you can get a less expensive lift like a pro comp 6" with the huge lift spacer for i think $1,200 or $1,300 online or the fabtech for $1,400 with all new shocks, etc. Hope that covered most of it if not all of it

Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
body vs. suspension.
A body lift consists of polyurethane spacers placed between the truck frame and truck body. Body lifts are easily noticeable, because they cause that horrible looking gap above the rear tires. This is easily overcome by installing gap guards which makes the lift look really clean and pretty smooth in my opinion. Why more people don't do these right, I don't know because they are a cheaper alternative that can produce pretty good results.

Suspension lifts are more expensive then body lifts because they often include performance shock absorbers and cross members or radius arms arms up front. The materials for the front lift are usually pretty hardcore and quite pricey, not to mention you are paying for the hours of R&D the manufacturer went through to produce. Suspension lifts increase performance by increasing shock travel, relocating shock mounts, sometimes replacing rear springs, and a million other methods to create lift. It all varies by kit.

You can continue to use 17" wheels. Like Russ said, go with a 35" tire. As far as tires, figure out if you want an A/T or M/T. Once you figure that out, pick a tread. Nitto is a good brand. I would not skimp here personally. Get something you like that is reputable.

Fabtech is a great brand. You cant go wrong there.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I'LL MAKE IT SIMPLE FOR YOU!
YOU HAVE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. GO GET A CST SUSPENISON KIT. THEY HAVE A 8" INCH FOR YOU WHICH YOU CAN RUN 38 OR 37" TIRES OR "WHATEVER TIRE SIZE YOU CHOICE", I'M JUST SAYING 38 AND 37 BECAUSE THAT'S THE BIGGEST TIRES YOU CAN RUN ON CST KIT.
GO HERE....
www.cstsuspension.com

BODY LIFTS ARE REALLY JUST TO ADD BIGGER TIRES AND "YOU CAN'T TOW!!!"

GO TO THE WEBSITE AND IT WOULD TELL YOU WHERE YOU CAN BUY IT NEAR YOU
YOU WOULDN'T SEE THE 8" INCH KIT ON THE WEBSITE BUT THEY DO HAVE IT!
YOU'LL DEF. BE HAPPY WITH A CST KIT AND IT'S BETTER THAN FABTECH

I WOULD CHOICE CST!
AS FOR TIRES AND RIM THAT'S ALL UP TO YOU.

Last edited by Btran909; 03-11-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Body lifts shouldn't be discussed here, they have nothing to do with suspension.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Btran909
BODY LIFTS ARE REALLY JUST TO ADD BIGGER TIRES AND "YOU CAN'T TOW!!!"
you can't tow any longer via the bumper, but a hitch isn't changed with a body lift

Old 03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duece212
you can't tow any longer via the bumper, but a hitch isn't changed with a body lift
x2...

it is never really a good idea to tow w/ the rear bumper anyway. a body lift just makes it unsafe altogether. however, a hitch is frame mounted, and thus its strength is not compromised by a body lift.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Some of these comments are pretty funny. So many misconceptions about body lifts.

Body Lifts are affordable, perfectly safe if installed correctly, and allow you to run as much as 35" tires. Yes, you can still tow with them. No you can't tow using your rear bumper, you would need to use your hitch, which is what it recommended in the frist place for towing.

Yes, they leave a gap between the frame and the body, which is easily addressed with gap guards.

Traditionally body lifts gotten a bad wrap for 2 reasons:
1. Billy Bob and his 2 goober friends would make homemade body lifts out of hockey pucks and 2x4s. I'll spare you the details on how unsafe they are.

2. The gap between the body and frame turns a lot of people off to them. Again, this is addressed with Gap Guards though.

OP, what year is your truck? The reason I ask is because Body Lifts can be installed much easier on the 97-03s that on the 04+s.

Advantages of a body lift:

1. Additional clearance by allowing for larger tires.
2. Cheap (kit runs around $200, about another $65 for the gap guards)
3. Can look really good if installed correctly.
4. Your stock ride is retained because none of the suspension components are touched.

Disadvantages:

1. Still takes about 12 hours to install, so if you don't do the install yourself, you're looking @ $600-$1000 in labor costs. That plus the cost of the kit is close to the cost of a suspension lift.
2. A 35" tire will be about the max you can run.
3. Most people need to get creative to retain their tow hooks in the front and in most cases, trimming of the lower valence is required to reduce rubbing with the larger tires.
4. Some aftermarket mods will not fit correctly (brush guards, bull bars, some CAIs, etc...)

Suspension Lifts -
As stated before, lift the suspension, the body is not touched. Much more popular and many more options. They are also much more costly and depending on what size tires you run, usually many more mods follow (upgraded shocks, new gears, etc...).

Based on your first post, if cost is the biggest concern and you want something that can look good and still allow you to have fun off road, I'd go with a body lift. If cost isn't a concern as much as being able to run larger tires, have a better handling off road vehicle and a truck that allow for more aftermarket options down the road, then I would go with a 6" suspension lift.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM
lifts

Originally Posted by jk007
Some of these comments are pretty funny. So many misconceptions about body lifts.

Body Lifts are affordable, perfectly safe if installed correctly, and allow you to run as much as 35" tires. Yes, you can still tow with them. No you can't tow using your rear bumper, you would need to use your hitch, which is what it recommended in the frist place for towing.

Yes, they leave a gap between the frame and the body, which is easily addressed with gap guards.

Traditionally body lifts gotten a bad wrap for 2 reasons:
1. Billy Bob and his 2 goober friends would make homemade body lifts out of hockey pucks and 2x4s. I'll spare you the details on how unsafe they are.

2. The gap between the body and frame turns a lot of people off to them. Again, this is addressed with Gap Guards though.

OP, what year is your truck? The reason I ask is because Body Lifts can be installed much easier on the 97-03s that on the 04+s.

Advantages of a body lift:

1. Additional clearance by allowing for larger tires.
2. Cheap (kit runs around $200, about another $65 for the gap guards)
3. Can look really good if installed correctly.
4. Your stock ride is retained because none of the suspension components are touched.

Disadvantages:

1. Still takes about 12 hours to install, so if you don't do the install yourself, you're looking @ $600-$1000 in labor costs. That plus the cost of the kit is close to the cost of a suspension lift.
2. A 35" tire will be about the max you can run.
3. Most people need to get creative to retain their tow hooks in the front and in most cases, trimming of the lower valence is required to reduce rubbing with the larger tires.
4. Some aftermarket mods will not fit correctly (brush guards, bull bars, some CAIs, etc...)

Suspension Lifts -
As stated before, lift the suspension, the body is not touched. Much more popular and many more options. They are also much more costly and depending on what size tires you run, usually many more mods follow (upgraded shocks, new gears, etc...).

Based on your first post, if cost is the biggest concern and you want something that can look good and still allow you to have fun off road, I'd go with a body lift. If cost isn't a concern as much as being able to run larger tires, have a better handling off road vehicle and a truck that allow for more aftermarket options down the road, then I would go with a 6" suspension lift.
JK007:
Thanks for making it clear for me. Appreciate your info.

JK9051

Quick Reply: Body lift vs suspension lift??