Trouble with cranking Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with cranking Torsion Bars

I wanted to get my front a bit more level looking so about a week ago I jacked up the front a bit to get the tires off the ground and sprayed the bolts with some lubricant. Tried pretty hard to get those bolts to turn but absolutely no luck...thought I was gonna break the damn wrench. Any advice on getting this to work or should I give up on this idea if it is that hard? and just to make sure does anyone know off hand the exact socket size for those bolts?

But honestly those who have done this...should it really be that hard to turn them?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 AM
mine wasn't hard at all...I think is was a 19mm??(might be thinkin of somethin else) but def was metric, maybe one of the other guys will chime in with the size. Might ought to soak'em somemore or overnite...just make sure to get an alignment afterwards.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:40 AM
I can't remember the socket size?? They are pretty hard to turn. Use a 1/2 inch breaker bar or ratchet to turn the bolts. Are the bolts all rusted?? I had to brace myself under the truck to be able to put enough pressure on the bolts to turn them.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah maybe I just wasn't getting enough pressure on them to turn. The actual bolts didn't look rusted by my torsion keys def. are rusted a bit. Maybe that is affecting them trying to move a bit? I am not looking to go too high with it maybe just like 1 - 1.5"

Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 AM
If I remember correctly, it was an 18mm socket, but don't hold me to that. Mine were difficult also but I was able to turn 'em.

Use a breaker bar and soak them in PB Blast before hand and try giving it another whirl. Even if they are rusted very badly, the breaker bar and PB should allow you to adjust them.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. When I get the time I will have to try it again. I just wish the dang thing sat more level from the factory. Hopefully I will still be able to order the 6" Fabtech kit in the future...that will make me happy!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
It will be easier if you jack the front wheels off the ground. With the wheels on the ground you're effectively lifting the weight of the vehicle with your ratchet.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by jiggle
It will be easier if you jack the front wheels off the ground. With the wheels on the ground you're effectively lifting the weight of the vehicle with your ratchet.
uhhhh I did.....read my post

Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by DeathMetalTruck
uhhhh I did.....read my post
Good point lol.

Quick Reply: Trouble with cranking Torsion Bars