Survey: F150 2005-2007 Rear Sway Bar Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Survey: F150 2005-2007 Rear Sway Bar Purchase

Hello Everyone,

For those who may not know, I own a Lincoln Mark LT 4x2, which I was dismayed at the availability/design of the rear sway bars. As my father's son (I'm 40+), with my father being a former salt-flat's racer and aerospace engineer, I designed and built a rear sway bar for my truck that is...[/LIST][*]A complete bolt-on; Install time of approximately 60 minutes with common tools, in a driveway[*]Does not require relocation of any brake lines, vent lines[*]Will work with any after-market exhaust system.[*]Does not affect ground clearance[*]Will work on 4x4, 4x2; raised or lowered vehicles

My engineering (based upon racing platforms) allows the use of 3/4" solid 4130 chrome molly bar to perform the same as other assemblies which weigh almost double.

If manufactured for sale, would you be interested in purchasing an item with a retail value not to exceed $200 plus shipping?

If enough interest is generated, I will work with the F150 Online group to provide group purchase power.

Thank you

Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will you install?

No, I'm just kidding, sounds interesting, price not bad either...

Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Do you have any pics of what they look like

Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by f150monster232
Do you have any pics of what they look like
Due to pending patents, I would prefer not send pics, but if enough interest is generated, we will post pics when we are ready to sell. If the interest is there, we can be ready for sales in 30 days.

Jeff

Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Suspended
I'd get one if I wasn't lifted.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I'll take one. Just email me or something when they're ready. I don't go to the susp. section hardly ever.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
For 200 dollars, I will go a brand name sway bar with a solid track record. How does it compare with Hellwig rear sway bar? Hellwig makes 1" diameter rear sway bar made with High quality hot formed and heat treated 4140 chrome moly spring steel, and with Polyurethane bushings for our trucks. You can get a Hellwig rear sway bar for about 200 bucks.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ilovemyford
For 200 dollars, I will go a brand name sway bar with a solid track record. How does it compare with Hellwig rear sway bar? Hellwig makes 1" diameter rear sway bar made with High quality hot formed and heat treated 4140 chrome moly spring steel, and with Polyurethane bushings for our trucks. You can get a Hellwig rear sway bar for about 200 bucks.
Very good questions & comments! While I won't comment on any one mfg's sway bar, in addition to the 4130/40 chrome molly material & polyeurethane bushings, here are the things that I looked for in the existing market and what I would recommend to look for......

1. Does the design provide for adequate (1" or better) clearance around the exhaust system and provide for not only the OEM system but aftermarket single & duel outlet systems as well (mine will)

2. Are the attachment points for the center bar (typically "D" shaped straps which hold the main bar) spaced at least 30" apart (mine are spaced at approximately 50"- which provides for maximum leverage to support the vehicle, where the narrower positioning allows the weight of the vehicle to have expotental leverage against the sway bar & if located less than 30", the loss of torsional resistance is almost 50%, meaning the efficiency is much less even with a larger diameter bar, ie. my 3/4" diameter bar works as if it were almost double the size in comparison to other more inefficiently designed applications)

3. Does the design require you to relocate or modify differential vent or brake lines (mine does not)

4. Does the design in any way limit suspension travel to less than what the suspension was designed to do (mine will not)

5. Does the Mfg provide grade 8 bolts & lock nuts for the install (mine does)

6. Does the bar hang below the axle reducing any ground clearance (mine does not)

7. Can the unit realistically be installed in 60 minutes in a driveway, by 1 person? (You'll just have to wait and see mine- absolutely will)

8. Is the bar forged only at the bends or the end-link connecting points as well? (mine is)

9. Does the manufacturer supply end links which are non-adjustable and likely 3/8"-7/16" diameter? (Mine are fully adjustable allowing unlimited suspension tuning for lowered or raised vehicles and with end links that are 9/16" diameter, rigidity is not comprimized and deflection is simply not experienced.

10. Years later when the polyeurethane busings (end links) may need to eventually be replaced, are they mfg spec'd units or can universal replacements be obtained at almost 1/2 the replacement cost? (mine are universal type design, available at almost any parts/online store).

Ask these questions and I think if you have the same luck I did, that you will be able to find any mfg out there who will meet all of these specs' - especially item #2!

These design specs are not new but have been around since the 1960's but because of cost cutting, many have been reduced and while they show no compromise on lighter vehicles, heavier vehicles such as our F150 chassis's can really make a difference that has been forgotten. With regards to the possible retail price of $200, I would suggest that the actual pricing especially at group levels would be considerably less.

Quick Reply: Survey: F150 2005-2007 Rear Sway Bar Purchase