05 F-150 air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 F-150 air shocks

Hello, Does anyone know of air shocks for an 05 F-150 Supercab? Pulling heavy loads, the back drops down to much.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't go with cheap air shocks. An air bag system would be a much better choice.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:39 PM
+1 on airbags.

They fit between the frame and spring and only work when there is a heavy load. They won't effect the ride when empty and won't break off your shock mounts on a pot hole. Shocks and mounts are designed to stop spring oscillation not hold up a load. Air shocks are always a bad idea.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Cool air bags

will air bags raise my truck any? or should I just get a lift kit?

Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to raise your truck, get a lift kit. If you install airbags and inflate them to the point the suspension is topped out the truck will ride like crap.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by fiburns
will air bags raise my truck any? or should I just get a lift kit?
The air bag goes between the rear leaf and the frame. It only comes into play as the frame is squished down by excessive weight. This means that the air bags have no adverse ride effect, unless....it is really weighed down and you have a lot of air in the bags like WENDELL said.

Lift kits usually do not increase weight capacity, actually most do the exact opposite, by using larger softer springs for more articulation of the suspension. Also by lifting, you raise the center of gravity of the truck making it more unstable, a no-no for heavy loading.

Good luck...get some air bags......

PS. if it's too far down check weights and don't exceed your GCVW.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Lift kits usually do not increase weight capacity,
Neither do airbags. Weight capacity isn't a function of the rear springs alone. You also have to take into account the weight rating of the rear axle and the GCWR. You can't exceed either one.

Airbags may reduce the squat of the rear end, but they don't allow you to increase the amount of weight your truck can handle.

-Joe

Old 08-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I thought I covered that with the GCVW, thanks for clarifying GIJoecam.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I knew that's what you meant as I've heard your advice before....

For starters, before installing anything, take the rig over to a truck scale and weigh it with and without the trailer. Roll across the scales, get the weight, then park the trailer in the parking lot and roll the tow vehicle back across the scales. The differences in the numbers will tell you if the axle is near (or over) its limit to begin with. A severe squat is usually a pretty good sign it may be.

FWIW, I had a 300 lb tongue weight on my boat trailer (verified on the local truck scale). The back end squatted 2 inches exactly. For $10 bucks, it reassured me I wasn't overloading anything, and verified that I had a proper balance to the trailer.

-Joe

Quick Reply: 05 F-150 air shocks