roadmaster active suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roadmaster active suspension

I haven't read anywere yet if anyone has tried the Roadmaster
active suspension system that attaches to the leaf springs.
They claim to be better than all other suspesion mods like
sway bars. etc. Has anyone have any experience with using them? The only thing that concerns is they seem to raise the vehicle a little bit which is the last thing I need on a FX4!

Old 09-24-2003, 09:42 AM
The current issue of AutoWeek has a brief writeup:

http://autoweek.com/columnists/cat_c..._code=06784123

Basically, the columnist agreed that the Roadmaster improved handling - but that it was based on his 'seat of pants' measurements. (Test vehicle was an E-150, so its somewhat relevant)

Are you looking for better load carrying characteristics - or, do you want street performance? If the latter, you'll probably be better off going with more traditional handling mods - springs, shocks, swaybars, etc.

Good Luck

Old 09-26-2003, 02:16 PM
I read that same article. I also saw them on a episode of "crank & chrome" about a year ago, which is why I'm surprised not
more members have replied to my post. Anyway I'm not sure what I'm going to but one thing is for sure before you do ANY
engine mods make sure you get your suspension under control
or your going to have your hands full !!!!!

Old 09-30-2003, 01:23 AM
Saw them on crank and chrome too. They got a good review. I've looked them up online but that's all the further I've gone. Would love to try them out, but the $$$ just doesn't justify the experimentation. Already have a Helwig rear sway bar and the suspension feels pretty tight for a truck.

Would love to hear from anyone who has actually used them.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Well for about $250 w/shipping it might be worth a try.
Maybe I'm exaggerating the part about raising the height
of the truck, but I was only going by what a guy
on a Dodge site said when he put his on his Dakota.
There is a bracket that goes under the leaf spring plate,
but since the springs are on top of the axle it shouldn't make a difference really. I had a Hellwig bar on a van I had and it
did wonders, but it would be nice to get rid of the axle hop
and twist also.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:24 PM
I've had the roadmaster active suspension springs on my 4x4 F150 for for more than two years.

The rear sits only 3/4" higher than the front which is barely noticeable. One thing I can't stand is a sagging rear end with light loads.

This summer we went out west towing a tent camper, about 4500 miles, truck handled great in the mountains. The road masters greatly reduce body sway and increase load capacity handing to a degree that shocks and swaybars cannot. I still have the stock shocks at 70,000 miles, but up graded to LT265/75R16 Michelin AT's (C load rated). I run 40psi in the rear when the bed is empty for the best ride, 50 psi when loaded down. Another thing you can do is adjust them to level out the truck side to side with a full gas tank.

I shopped around online and got them for $207 delivered. The roadmasters really improved functional load handling ability whick makes the truck much safer to handle with a load, but the LT tires helped too. I would highly recommend them to any F150 owner. But if you never put a load in the bed you could get away with a sway bar and shocks.

Old 10-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Thumbs up

I have both the roadmaster and the Hellwig sway bar. Together they are awesome. The roadmaster is great for loads and towing with a little improvement with roll. The swaybar does a good job in the corners. They both have their areas that they improve and I highly recommend both.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Well I guess that settles it!!!!!

Old 10-06-2003, 03:39 PM
With a 4x4 you may want maintain left-right suspension independance. A sway bar ties both sides together to prevent sway, reducing articulation. The effect is to rock the cab side to side as you take a skirt at a angle comeing off a road.

Spring stiffeners (roadmaster, add a leafs, ect) maintain full travel independant travel of rear wheels. For a street 4x4, a swaybar is the ticket. For light off roading, a swaybar would restrict suspension travel and toss you left/right in the cab.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:42 PM
I have a 98 4X2 SC 5.4. I have had the Roadmaster Active Suspension for about 2 years and also have Michelin LTX AT LT2657516 tires and Monroe Reflex shocks.

The AS greatly increased the stability of the truck with a heavy load. I have had over 1500 lbs in the bed without it bottoming out. It also handles trailers much better. It does raise the rear a little, but I couldn't tell you how much. I think they are well worth the purchase price.

FWIW, I testdrove an 4X4 SuperCrew a while back with the 17" Off-Road Tires. That truck felt mushy and it had considerably more body roll.

I am happy with my purchase.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:49 PM
I have the heavy duty roadmaster active suspension kit that I will sell for $75.00. It's 6 months old. You can use it on the F150 or F250. Send me an emai if interested.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:19 PM
I also have the Roadmaster Active Suspension on my truck and all I can say is two thumbs up. I did however recently lift my truck and put new rear spring in it and have not yet reinstalled it as I was not sure it would work with the new spring but after checking it appears as though I will be able to reuse them adn cannot wait to get them back on.

Richard

Quick Reply: roadmaster active suspension