Man I miss this place:

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I miss this place:

There is not one GOOD Chuvy message board on the web! I cant stand trying to figure out stuff on my own. I miss my Ford and this place

Old 10-08-2002, 05:24 PM
You have not been "gone" for a full day! and you already miss this place?

Is the chevy worth it? I mean, think about it. You didn't even give your Magna on your ford a chance? In fact, there will be new mods. for the Magna in the near future. You are going to miss out on allllllll that. I think, you should take your insurance money and the chevy and go trade it in for a F-150.

I have driven both Ford and chevy. The Ford has a far better front end, can out tow a chevy and with a Magna, it can also blow it away off the line. I know, because I am doing that on a routine bases now.

Infact, the only thing I like better on a Chevy than a Ford is the............STEERING!!!!!!!! ha! But, I will correct that as well.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
arnhorse,

What about the F150 steering don't you like? Other than being slightly overpowered on center, I love the way my truck handles.

However, it may have something to do with it being lowered 4/6 with 295/45x18 tars. It handles like a (very heavy) rollerskate and additionally, due to the slightly lower rate of the front springs, rides substantially better than stock too.

I intend to add traction bars to control wheel hop that will arrive shortly after my Procharger, (on it's way) and a rear sway bar. I'm working on a design that will combine the two for simplicity and a minimum addition of unsprung weight.

Why don't you just slam that puppy and be done with it?

Old 10-09-2002, 12:34 PM
FordTrk,

Just wanted to emphasize that I was just........kidding

Maderraristi,

I think my true problem is that I was "spoiled" with my first CAR having 12 to 1 constant ratio steering (back in 85' I bought a 79 T.A.). I have judged all my vehicles since that time by that standard. I guess thats why I have owned 4 different Firebirds...ha!

The 14 to 1 constant ratio steering on the F-150 and Lightning just is not fast enough for me. In fact, my main problem with it, is that, it feels very underpowered at center to me.

I have lowered it, put wide and shorter, V rated, directional, 51 psi, sporttruck tires, front and rear hellwigg swaybars, and a hard bedcover in my attempt to increase steering and handling control. I can now take a 60 mph curve at 80 with ease and the truck "wanders" less. But, my steering still does not seem as "sensitive" as a 95 chevy truck with over 110,000 miles!

So far, I have been unable to find a steering gear box, or the gears or a steering quickener with faster constant ratio steering for our late modelF-150s.

Old 10-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Sounds like its time to make a pitman arm extension like I had on both my '61 and '62 Vette.

Matter of fact, a longer pitman arm just may be something a resourceful guy might find in the old FoMoCo parts bin. Probably the first thing would be to visit a truck wrecking yard, Dial Caliper and Tape Measure in hand. Take a look at F250 and F350 truck steering and check out the pitman arms.

Also, bear in mind that there are other elements of the front suspension besides steering ratio that affect sensitivity. Control Arm bushing hardness and wall thickness play a big part. Have you given any thought to Urethane Bushings. I have Chassis Tech control arms and while I think they are garbage (with a capital "G") the bushings are only half the diameter of the OEM pieces. Hmmm, maybe there is a positive side to them after all.

This may prove to be an interesting quest. In the next few weeks I plan to modify my original control arms by doing the ball joint flip to achieve a 3" static drop. This will give me the 1" lower ride height that I want with no loss of suspension travel.. If when I reinstall the modified control arms, I lose steering sensitivity, then we know the answer, don't we.

I'll post the results in "suspension" where it belongs.

Last edited by madferraristi; 10-10-2002 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Hey Hey Mad.!

That is the most promising info. I have read in over 7 months of searching for faster ratio steering!!!!!!!! I have no ideal how to use a dial caliper. But, I guess you basicaly mean, if I had a longer pitman arm, it may increase steering sensitivity? So, if I went out and found a pitman arm that would fit and that was longer than my stock arm, I might see an increase in steering sensitivity??? Please feel welcome to email me with any and all details. My email in my "profile" is "on" (I did not realize it was off until someone emailed me through another source and told me).

Old 10-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Iron,

I have asked to have this thread moved to "Suspension" where we might get some appropriate input from other readers.

If we can find a Pitman Arm that is - say 15% longer, we will increase the steering rate from 14:1 to [do the math 14 - (14 x .15 = 2.1) = 11.9] or 11.9:1.

Now all we have to do is find it!

BTW, the dial caliper would be used, in this instance, to measure the diameter of the shaft that the pitman arm mounts on.

Last edited by madferraristi; 10-10-2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Hey MAD!

That is incredible data! Are you some kind of engineering genius!?! I bet your the first person in U.S. history to actually make that computation!

I am going to start researching F-150 pitman arms and will post what I find. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: I almost forgot your comment about the urethane bushings. Yeah, I also searched nation wide for a comprehensive urethane bushing kit for at least the front end. I could not find one. According to urethane experts, a kit has not been developed yet for the 97' to current F-150.

Old 10-10-2002, 11:17 AM
FordTrk,

Here is a way to relate your current status as a Chevy owner to this thread that is now off topic...ha! ...................

Since you drove a late model F-150 and now drive a late model Chevy, how do the two compare as far as steering?

Old 10-10-2002, 12:19 PM
I would have to say they are pretty close in steering. Not to sure as of yet! Guess this way we can get real world comments about the Chuvy?! Just keep the bagging to a minimum, this is hard enough!!

Old 10-11-2002, 11:04 PM
I am going to post a link to this thread in the "suspension" forum.

Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Besides finishing up the tuning of the Bazooka pulley, re-wiring and making brackets for the electric fans, and upgrading the intercooler system...........I am going to try the "pitman arm" mod as discussed by Mad.,. Now, I guess, I get to learn all about pitman arms.

Looks like I need to find a 15% LONGER pitman arm that will fit on my stock steering gear box.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
FRDTRK,

try Full Size Chevy Forum

its a decent Chevy forum.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:47 PM
How do you double a chevy's value?.........Fill up its gas tank!
J/K! Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Chevy's aren't THAT bad.

Old 04-18-2003, 02:22 AM
Just an update

Installed the New Radix System today! I must say WOW! I have never felt this much power. We dynoed about 3 hours ago and she put down about 425 RWHP. I will post the graph when I scan it.

Quick Reply: Man I miss this place: