new england speed shop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new england speed shop?

anybody know of a good speed shop in the Connecticut area? I want to join the ranks of the supercharged, but don't have enough confidence in my wrenching abilities to do it myself.
I would pretty much go anywhere I had to for the right shop to set up my blower. New York, all of New England, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-20-2002, 07:59 PM
you might want to try....

www.teamjdm.com

Old 05-20-2002, 08:23 PM
thanks, I sent off an email to them.
I see you are using a KB. did you install it yourself?

Old 05-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Speed Shack

I lived in Massachusetts about 5 years ago. There's a place in Norwood, MA called Speed Shack. I don't know how good/bad they are, I just remember that they're on Rt 1 in Norwood.

J in MD

Old 05-21-2002, 10:39 AM
thanks J, I will check them out.

Old 05-21-2002, 10:48 AM
You're welcome

J in MD

Old 05-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Don't go to speed shack.

I have bought several things from them over the years but I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of their mouth on a major purchase.

First they told me that Superchips was a knockoff product (they sell Jet) and that Transgo was a bad kit (they sell B&M).

They do not know our trucks or Ford in general.

They also do not install or tune anything, and don't expect to get technical assistance from them. There products are mostly cosmetic, eye-candy stuff.

I am going to be checking out a shop in Taunton MA soon, they are an authorized ATI Procharger dealer/installer, if I find out they are good I will repost.

JDM is a sure bet though.

Good Luck

Old 05-21-2002, 03:20 PM
Oops, sorry... my bad.

I just knew there was a shop up there, didn't know their reputation though.

I used to live in Taunton. Where are you talking about?

J in MD

Old 05-21-2002, 03:29 PM
how about the northern Virginia area? I will be 30 miles south of DC and I myself would like a supercharger, but that is just a bit too complicated for me to takle myself on a 30k truck. I was also wondering where Mike T's shop is located because I sure would like to visit to see all the goodies he has to offer.

cajun

Old 05-21-2002, 03:56 PM
KPATON:
Be sure to let me know what you find out.
I have contacted JDM...The qualifications are certainly there, but it is a 2 1/2 hour ride give or take. It would be nice to find something a little closer.

Old 05-21-2002, 08:03 PM
I can't reccomend a speed shop. I can say that the install may not be as complicated as you think. If you are thinking ATI, even better.
I did a Magnacharger in my truck a few months ago. I was a bit apprehensive but I couldn't afford to pay someone to do the job. I think it's a good idea to do it yourself because you will have a better idea of how to maintain it and diognose problems.
Another option would be to talk to a local mechanic. Maybe your regular one. (Could even be the dealership) If they have a chance to study the instructions there is no reason they couldn't do it. You would think they would be there later if you had questions too.
I understand the need for speed shops/ mechanics that specialize in performance upgrades. It's just that I have heard too many horror stories. It's one thing to sell the product, it's another to know how to install the product in so many different applications.
I hear that JDM is top knotch. I also hear that he is swamped. I think you would have to get on the list.
I had a couple friends help me out with the Magna. It went smooth. I spent a couple week ahead of time studing the instructions. I also did the intercooler install ahead of time to speed things up. It took the three of us exactly eight hours. We did have the perfect place to do it. One of my friends works in his fathers auto body shop.
Good luck finding a shop. I will keep an eye out for you. I am just up the road from you. Well a ways up the road!

Tom

Old 05-21-2002, 08:11 PM
Tom:
I appreciate the words of wisdom. You gave me an idea! I've gotten friendly with one of the mechanics at my favorite garage. I think I may ask him if he wants to moonlight and give me a hand.
hmmm....that could work.
Are you happy with the Magnacharger? I was leaning toward that myself. I thought it would be the best for me. I really need to call Crash and get his input for my application.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:46 PM
I think if you could work a deal with your mechanic it would work. I really think it's a good idea to have your hands in the install. At least be able to see each step of the process. Once the thing is in there, I think it's necessary to constantly monitor how things are working. No to an extreme. Just so that if there is a problem (god forbid) you can catch it before it turns into something bigger.

Yes, I am happy with the Magnacharger. I think it's good for the type of use I give it. If I were going to the strip on a regular basis I think I might have concidered one of the alternatives. I really like the numbers I'm seeing with the ATI. I have the Magnacharger so I guess I can only wonder about the ATI. Just try and weigh all the options before you buy.
I believe that with the Magnacharger I'm getting something like the 50% gain they are claiming. It's a pretty quick truck now. If you have the 5.4, more power, to you!

If your thinking Magnacharger, you can go to thier site www.magnacharger.com and review the instructions.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 05-24-2002, 01:35 PM
WSECTION,

I visited a shop located in Taunton MA today, it looks promising. The name of the shop is MPE Racing (www.mperacing.com). They are an authorized ATI dealer and installer and will supply the kit for less than Crash, slightly, I wouldn't make that a deciding factor I am only trying to say that they are very competitive. Installation runs $800. They do not have a dyno but have access to one.

One draw back is that they cannot reprogram "superchip" brand chips.

Another is that all superchargers are cash deals, no credit cards.

Last, although they are knowledgeable they do not have the experties like JDM or Crash. They have installed the procharger on the F150's as well as other SC kits. The owner drives an "L" daily.

Good luck with your search and I hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2002, 01:56 PM
kpaton:
thanks. I will check them out. I have actually found a place in Manchester CT called J&M motorsports who does ATI and has a dyno. I talked to Mike there, and will be up to see him and his facility on Tuesday(I hope) It sounds promising. Good price on the SC, dyno on site, Superchip dealer, etc. Unfortunately, I think they haven't done too many trucks with the ATI, just cars.
If you are interested, I will let you know what I find after I visit.

http://www.jandmmotorsports.com/main.htm

Quick Reply: new england speed shop?