Went To The Track...Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's exactly right. Meth can be very beneficial. I just haven't reached temps where I would benefit from it.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth isn't just for temps - there is also an octane improvement - and I think every boosted application could benefit from it - with proper tuning to take advantage of the reduces temps and increased octane. You, certainly, may benefit less than others.

And if you're already on the ragged edge of what power you're willing to make - then making more power is not the goal.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jack_Toepfer
Meth isn't just for temps - there is also an octane improvement - and I think every boosted application could benefit from it - with proper tuning to take advantage of the reduces temps and increased octane. You, certainly, may benefit less than others.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM

And if you're already on the ragged edge of what power you're willing to make - then making more power is not the goal.
I never said it was for "just" for temps. I said I didn't have an IAT temp issue and used Torco as an octane booster.
Note post 13 of this thread.

I'm not against meth or water injection by any means. I personally just don't see where I will benfit from it as you stated above.
I'm not so sure that every boosted application can benefit. If you don't need the octane and your IAT's are at optimal levels then I don't see where there's any benefit. One of the reasons I've never gone this route. I do believe there's a time and place for it. I desired lower IAT's and made it happen with a higher volume intercooling pump. I have a larger heat exchanger on hand now which I will install in place of the Whipple heat exchanger to see if temps fall anymore. I also plan to fabricate a larger intercooler coolant tank. My temps rise 14-16 degrees now with 13psi and a quarter mile run. I would love to see how much of that I can change without a mod that will require custom tuning.

Intercooler heat soak, poor quality fuel, boost levels producing heat not readily managed by the intercooler system, detonation due to any of the above, or a desire to run more timing. These are just some examples of why one would choose meth injection. Of course I would suggest to anyone that you optimize your cooling system first then proceed.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 12-17-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 PM
so when we gonna put some squeeze on it?

Old 12-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Bottles are b*tches and babies lol

Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry if it sounded like I was implying that you had temp issues. That wasn't the case.

But for you to say that you wouldn't benefit is where I'm confused.

Ok, you optimized your intercooler, I get that. You're even adding octane booster already, yeah, I understand. SO how would you NOT benefit from even cooler intake temps and even more octane? You're already trying very hard to accomplish the same thing meth does, why wouldn't going 1 step further by actually using meth not help? I'm not saying you should or you have to or that what your doing isn't good - just stating that meth can benefit you, like it does anyone else that likes colder aide and more octane.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
*colder air* sorry, computer guy here can't figure out how to edit using this dam mobile app that this site forces me into now.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're running long tube's in your exhaust too aren't you? I understand you're boost will drop if you put some on, but getting the gasses out faster helps too! Less pressure in the exhaust side means more Hp, but could negatively effect your torque.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Bottles are b*tches and babies lol
Says the people with the slower vehicles.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Says the people with the slower vehicles.
Says the people with non-blowed up vehicles. It's detrimental to engine life, no thank you. I don't care about running 3 tenths faster at the track

Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
I would love to see how much of that I can change without a mod that will require custom tuning.
meth does NOT require custom tune!.. install and adjust the flow.. and go..

Custom tune to get max gains yes...

Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by 1997 lariat 4.6
You're running long tube's in your exhaust too aren't you? I understand you're boost will drop if you put some on, but getting the gasses out faster helps too! Less pressure in the exhaust side means more Hp, but could negatively effect your torque.
Yes I have Dynatech longtubes (.5psi drop) and a fully mandrel bent system (1psi drop) The entire system dropped my boost by 1.5psi and the mandrel bends dropped my EGT's by 30 degrees which is a good thing. Sorry I have no EGT data comparing stock manifolds to the LT's.

Boost is an indication of resistance (backpressure in the intake) to the air being offered to the engine. If you make an exhaust mod and lose boost that means the engine is now able to process more air and thus make more power. The drop in boost should never be mistaken for less stress on the motor. On the contrary VE will go up as will fuel burn.

The Dynatechs feature 1 5/8" primaries which are perfect for building low end torque. They do not produce a drop in torque. Oversized primaries do. The longtubes offered for our trucks with 1 5/8" will usually make more bottom end torque then the stock manifolds.

For grins I monitored my torque to the converter through SCT data logging software. I data logged at the track and measured my torque to the converter. 48lbs sitting in gear at idle (650rpm). At the 3rd yellow I floored it and she made 351lbs of torque at 652rpms in just .12 seconds. Made 406lbs at just 888rpms .22 seconds after my foot hit the floor. I wonder why I struggled to hook up

Last edited by twinskrewd; 12-20-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 AM
But for you to say that you wouldn't benefit is where I'm confused.

Ok, you optimized your intercooler, I get that. You're even adding octane booster already, yeah, I understand. SO how would you NOT benefit from even cooler intake temps and even more octane? You're already trying very hard to accomplish the same thing meth does, why wouldn't going 1 step further by actually using meth not help? I'm not saying you should or you have to or that what your doing isn't good - just stating that meth can benefit you, like it does anyone else that likes colder aide and more octane.
I suppose it is possible to lower intake temps further Jack by using meth. And an octane boost would be nice. I still have a larger heat exchanger to mount on the truck which I traded parts for and the octane booster is only something I did at the track to keep things safe while trying out 13psi. Now I have data logs showing me the benefits I will likely do it from now on. But I don't plan to run 13psi on the street. I will switch back to 11psi in favor of engine longevity.

One of my problems with the Meth injection is the fact I would need to pull fuel out in my tune. Most of this I could probably do with my handheld with the tunes from Troyer as he has opened up the tunes for some adjustments. What bothers me is I'm now relying on the Meth system and if fails for any reason pop goes the motor in a split second. Don't get me wrong I rely on my fuel system for this everyday but with meth it just seems like I'm adding another potential fail point. Perhaps I'm just over thinking it.

Originally Posted by kens fx4
meth does NOT require custom tune!.. install and adjust the flow.. and go..
Custom tune to get max gains yes...
I could bolt on a system and go but then I've spent $500-700 for something that's not optimized. I'm also not a fan of the $30 jugs of Boost Juice either. I found a great write up on meth tuning that would make me feel more comfortable doing this. http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=8051

Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Crash!
Nice work Twinscrewd! Very impressive!. You have an 11-second stock block truck there, and I believe you will prove it once you can hook off the line! Traction will put you into the 11s, I strongly believe that.

You have set the standard for sure. Jack has a good point. I realize your charge temps really are in check and recognize the improvements with your upgrades. And if the PCM is adding timing, you certainly are doing the right thing. I do believe lower charge temps would pick up even more power. I realize it is winter, however, have you considered adding dry ice to the intercooler? A 10 degree drop in charge temp will roughly yield 10 HP. I think you would easily drop that few extra tenths. Just my $.02. FWIW.

Your charge temps are great, I simply would like to see you drop just a few tenths, and make a few solid high 11-second passes. I know your setup is capable of it!

Congratulations on your progress! Keep up the good work man!

LOL @ BROTHERDAVE.
Thanks Crash. The ProCharger crowd has there work cut out for them now

But kidding aside I have no doubt she could run a 12.0 or 11.9 with traction. The track just sucked. It rained all day Saturday and the sun never really got to the track Sunday to put any heat in it. Not to mention the vehicles on street tires out there doing burnouts My drag slicks still have these marble size ***** of rubber stuck all over them. I'll have to post a pic. Still a fun day. I'm glad RobertP invited me out there. It was nice to go to a track and actually know somebody.

The coolest part was that truck turned it's fastest times ever and rolled the clock to 90,000 miles on the same day.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 12-21-2013 at 08:25 AM.