Roush Super Charger Belt popping off

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roush Super Charger Belt popping off

I had a Gates 63 inch belt that was a bit too tight and broke. I thought it broke from being too tight but it may have popped off? and then broke? I replaced it with a 64" belt that seems to fit nice and snug but it immediately pops off upon starting the engine. The pulleys and idlers all look and work fine and seem to be in the same alignment that they have always been.

This seems elementary but I am a bit baffled. Any ideas???

Thanks

Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Put the belt on and visually look to see if its going sideways on a pulley. On smooth pulleys see if the belt is riding in a different spot then it use to. Spots where the belt should be on should be nice and shiny. Is your tensioner in good shape? I just had to replace mine and it was crooked. Where the spring is housed inside was angled and I couldn't see it until I replaced it. The tighter belt may have broke from riding incorrectly on a pulley.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 11-20-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Like iron said above. Personally I always put a straight edge on stuff when in question.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Since I changed the crank pulley I may been a 1/4" out of line. I tapped the upper pulley on about that far with a socket and hammer. It seems to be straight now. I will keep an eye on things.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffbang62
Since I changed the crank pulley I may been a 1/4" out of line. I tapped the upper pulley on about that far with a socket and hammer. It seems to be straight now. I will keep an eye on things.

Thanks!
which upper pulley???

Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 AM
??? If you pushed a pulley on further onto something then the bolts that hold the pulley to whatever is loose and needs tightening. Or the bearings in whatever are falling apart.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Everything looked tight. I loosened the bolts and removed the outer casing of the pulley and forced it farther onto the blower shaft. I am fairly certain the Metco lower pulley aligned differently from the stock lightning lower pulley that I had switched out a few months ago. I think the alignment on the belt was off about 1/4". It seems to all be aligned now. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffbang62
Everything looked tight. I loosened the bolts and removed the outer casing of the pulley and forced it farther onto the blower shaft. I am fairly certain the Metco lower pulley aligned differently from the stock lightning lower pulley that I had switched out a few months ago. I think the alignment on the belt was off about 1/4". It seems to all be aligned now. Thanks!

I'd be checking that blower snout if you had to drive that on further with a socket and a hammer....

The metco and the lightning lower should be the same....the only thing that can cause the metco hub not to install correctly is it not having enough clearance in the crank pulley....which most of the time its dirty and not cleaned before install...

Quick Reply: Roush Super Charger Belt popping off