Iat question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iat question

I have an ultraguage and have it set to read iats I noticed that sometimes it would vary between anbient and 30 -40 degrees higher, I could not understand why. At 70 degree weather at start up it might show 110 degrees

I got to looking at the connections and instructions on instalation. the installer just hooked into the wires going to the maf sensor. It had the stock sensor and the roush sensor hooked up. the instructions said to cut the wires going to the maf sensor so I cut them. Driving it seems to have more power. now at start up it shows close to ambient, after warm up it seems to show a lower temp than before...

What would an incorect iat temperature do to the truck?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

^^^ a big X2 on splicing into raw sensor data If it IS required, you need to ensure you use proper shielded wiring techniques, and do not introduce ground loops and noise into analog signals. And, ensure you do not unduly load the circuit - in other words it had better be a high impedance input that is being used.

Okay - now for my dumb question. How TF did the installer add an analog input to an Ultragauge? All I see is a single OBDII interface ( which, if the PIDs for IAT1 and IAT2 are supported is ALL you'd need to pull that data from the PCM for display.

***EDIT *** Sorry - brainfart, lol. The IAT data is not being wired into the U/G, I misunderstood. Dang.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/FAQ.htm

Hep me out fellers - I'm curious!

Thankee!

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-13-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crash!
Roush, Whipple, Edelbrock and Magnacharger should have thought of this and installed a bung in the intake. A provision to read actual charge temps after the blower will help maintain calibration, because we know a liquid to air intercooler means charge temps above ambient. The PCM needs to know what the cylinders see, or as close to it as possible. On the ProCharger, this is not such a big deal, as ambient temperature is what your charge temperature will be anyway, but on your Lightning, Roush, Whipple or Edelbrock, you need to read the charge temp at the discharge of the blower or intercooler if equipped.
What are you talking about? The Roush, Edlebrock, and Saleen kits relocate the IAT sensor to the intake manifold after the intercooler so the PCM can see the actual temps the cylinders see. Roush does so using a Lightning IAT sensor and Saleen does it through the TMAP. The Edlebrock kit appears to have a Lightning style sensor as well. I haven't been able to confirm the Magnacharger setup yet. Perhaps Batn68 will chime in.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 11-13-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Crash I just went by what the instructions say for the roush instalation when I cut the wires to the maf. The information about retarding the timing is very usefull, and verywell might explain thepower increase.

Mgdfan you are correct I plugged the ultragauge in the obdII port under the dash

Twinscrewed I believe you are correct on the iat

Widj is talking about his power not being up to par I wouder if his iats are wires connected correct?

Last edited by Rambo274; 11-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Well Crash I must say your statements regarding the IAT sensor and the what the blower manufactures do lead me to believe you were talking about the IAT sensor that the ECM would use. Whipple is the only one I know of who does not relocate it.

But since you say you are talking about a place for aftermarket sensors then I disagree. Expecting blower manufactures to add bungs or ports for aftermarket accessories is just going overboard. A port for a boost gauge sure. But not for a IAT. That's like expecting header manufactures to install bungs for after market A/F gauges and EGT sensors. Or head makers to have an extra port for water temp. It's just not going to happen. It's an additional cost in manufacturing. The majority of users don't add a lot of gauges. Especially an IAT gauge. The readout for it can be easily displayed on a SCT or Diablo handheld tuner.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
twinscrewd, without multiple gauges (that can't be monitered safely while driving anyway) then you just aren't cool

and without someone elses upgrades, then you aren't cool either

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM
The person that installed my sc did not wire the relocated sensor correctly, so I had two sensors hooked to the same wires, stock and the relocated roush ( talk about screwing up the computer!!!!!!), the instructions from Roush indicated it only needed the relocated sensor and to cut the stock sensors.

The ultragauge plugs into the diagnostic port on the drivers side under the sterring wheel, I am not trying to hook up anything to the wiring harness that should not be there.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo274
The person that installed my sc did not wire the relocated sensor correctly, so I had two sensors hooked to the same wires, stock and the relocated roush ( talk about screwing up the computer!!!!!!), the instructions from Roush indicated it only needed the relocated sensor and to cut the stock sensors.

The ultragauge plugs into the diagnostic port on the drivers side under the sterring wheel, I am not trying to hook up anything to the wiring harness that should not be there.
Oh boy. Well that is incorrect. The wires at the MAF should be cut and ran to the new sensor in the new location. Sounds like your saying the guy tried to keep both wired.

The Ultra gauge sounds cool. How do you like it so far?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
twinscrewd, without multiple gauges (that can't be monitered safely while driving anyway) then you just aren't cool

and without someone elses upgrades, then you aren't cool either
Lmao. Don't you know you need at least 10 Glow shift gauges in order to safely operate a boosted vehicle? Haven't you been paying attention?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Crash!
blah blah procharger blah blah tripple post on same gauges buy them so I make money blah blah off topic blah .
Procharger was never mentioned quit going off topic on every thread with procharger garbage.

OP whomever installed your setup effed up big. Iat just needs to be read off the air temp entering the cylinders. Its a good thing you caught it. Tuners will adjust timing based on IAT temps. To cold or to hot they use the info to keep the motor together.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 11-13-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Oh boy. Well that is incorrect. The wires at the MAF should be cut and ran to the new sensor in the new location. Sounds like your saying the guy tried to keep both wired.

The Ultra gauge sounds cool. How do you like it so far?
Thats correct about the wires.

The ultragauge is neat it can read a whole lotta things, I think some of it is not usefull but its cool.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Old 11-14-2013, 09:59 AM
That's a badass gauge Irons1n. RobertP and I were discussing these last night. Will be my next purchase for the truck.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Suspended
Get the Torgue Pro App and be done with it...some of these posts are way to long

Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
U do realize these gauges aren't needed period , once tune is set u are done, all the gauges are bull *****, aeroforce is plenty u are worried about way to much, I've got cars I've tuned that went over 100k miles with out gauges so your 9 gauges are pointless

Quick Reply: Iat question