Is a boost a pump bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by widj
I just called Troyer, talked to Michael, I was asking if they could update my tune with a 4lbs under drive pulley (that I already purchased through JDM, I already have the 2.8 upper) and without the BAP

here is how it went:
Me: can you update the tune with the pulley and without the BAP?
Michael: why do you want to remove the BAP?
Me: I'm getting very bad mileage ie. 6-8mpg and dyno places, forums, other tuners are recommending me to remove it
Michael: are these people specialized only in trucks tuning?
Me: probably
Michael: Troyer is the world's best F150 tuner, so he knows what he is doing
Me: *silence* *scratching head, really?*
Me: so why should I keep this BAP, I was told that my roush blower doesn't requires as much fuel
Michael: any blower on a truck require more fuel because they supercharge the truck, so you will absolutely need a BAP in order to make the blower to work properly, without the BAP your fuel pump will be maxed out
Me: several people told me that the pump doesn't get maxed out with a roush blower
Michael: have you checked your spark plugs?
Me: its the roush plugs that came with the kit
Michael: you need to change them, they are not designed with a custom tune
Me: so when I sent you the form and I specified that I had the roush plugs, why is it that you didn't tell me that?
Michael: they can still work, but not as well
Me: so which plugs do I need?
Michael: brisk spark plug silver racing heat range 12, $120 + shipping
Me: I'll get back to you on that, about the tune, could you ask Mike to give me an update?
Michael: Troyer will not update your tune, you need to keep this BAP
Me:ok
Michael: and the under drive pulley will blow up your engine
Me: really!? how?
Michael: we don't recommend installing a lower pulley but we can sell you one if you really want one
Me: I already have it
then I insisted to get a follow up from Mike, Michael told me to call back tomorrow

he also told me that I should try a different gas station, right now my tune is for 92, and I get the costco 92, he told me I should go with Shell or BP

thoughts?
should I keep or disconnect that BAP? JDM sent me a custom tune without the BAP because they said that I don't need a BAP
will the 4lbs pulley blow up my engine?

That sux because I never studied mechanics and I get day and night stories from different places
Why is a mechanic (at least that what he calls himself) telling you what the tuner (term used loosely) can and cannot do? If you dare disagree with troyer, he just gets mad and tells you that is just how it is and you must live with it. Don't waste your time tryin to get help from that bunch of crooks.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since the OP is questioning the BAP, I went to the manufacture or the Kenne Bell web site and found this info.

Easily installed.
• Fused circuit protection.
• Ideal for Nitrous applications.
• Attractive anodized red aluminum.
• 1000HP with OEM in tank production pumps*.
• Available for single or dual pump applications.
• Easily installed. Uses stock feed wire & fuel lines.
• Eliminates expensive fuel lines and pump upgrades.
• Proven reliability and concept. Tens of thousands sold since 1995.
• Does not affect pump life. Actually increases life of returnless pumps.
• Exclusive built in regulator stabilizes voltage regardless of battery voltage (down to 11V).
• Increases fuel pump flow up to 75% on ANY electric pump(s). 100% for "Competition" 20V.
• Compensates for reduced voltage/pump delivery from voltage drops by lights and accessories.
• Activated by boost switch (supercharged, turbocharged) or vacuum switch (naturally aspirated).
• Adjustable ON DEMAND from driver’s seat. Dual BOOST-A-PUMP™ is not adjustable. Set at max flow.
• Used on all Kenne Bell Supercharger Kits (street & competition) and some of “World’s Most Powerful Production Cars

It does not appear to be something that would cause a problem if you left it on. However, if the tune you are using was designed without it, and it does not need one, I think it would be best to follow the tuners advise and remove it.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Widj, When JDM sent the custom tune and recommended the BAP being removed, did they know about the future pulley change?

If it were me, I think I would take it somewhere and have them figure out why the bad MPG before I made any other changes. That A/F ratio is kind of important.

Quick Reply: Is a boost a pump bad?