Is a boost a pump bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Is a boost a pump bad?

Hi,

Troyer had me install this:
http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/A...boostapump.htm

I went to a local dyno place and the guy told me that I should remove it and put an areomotive stealth 340 intank instead as if the boost a pump fails then things could get damaged

thoughts?
should I remove it?
right now the dial is on the maximum setting as Troyer told me that the computer auto adjust the fuel..
Troyer custom tune is on right now @ 92

Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Not bad. Troyer is a crook too.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a BAP installed for five years or longer, works as advertized.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Not bad. Troyer is a crook too.
And I thought I was the only on here who knew that.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If any part of the fuel electrical system fails things could get damaged. You have a returnless fuel system stock from the factory. The PCM controls fuel pressure by varying the voltage to the pump. As you know the BAP stabilizes the voltage. Was the dyno shop going to sell you a new pump?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
If any part of the fuel electrical system fails things could get damaged. You have a returnless fuel system stock from the factory. The PCM controls fuel pressure by varying the voltage to the pump. As you know the BAP stabilizes the voltage. Was the dyno shop going to sell you a new pump?
that dyno place told me I should remove the BAP and install areomotive stealth 340 intank

Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Crash!
WTF happened to the FORE fuel pump hats and GT pumps he had built?

And I just re read this post.

First, YES remove it and run a 340 as I said. A 255 is only good for 400 CHP.

Second, you do NOT turn up the wick without supporting data. You do not go full rich and guess, HOPING the PCM will compensate. Put a scan tool on it AT LEAST. OMG! He has been doing this on F-150s since 1998! Damn!

The adaptive strategy is designed to make changes at the rate of 1% at a time. Not 100%, which is essentially what you are doing when you double the voltage to the fuel pump (To keep it simple, not up for debate). Tuning is required, and I am leaving a lot of stuff out because this is a dead issue.

THIRD and most important...

Doubling the voltage to a 12 volt load will reduce the pump life. Yes, in theory, it will double the output. But last I checked, I saw a BAP voltage spike to 17v under load. The BAP is spinning the life out of the pump. KB qualifies this by saying you are not under boost all the time. Well, this is Crash talking, and YES I AM under boost all the time. I drive hard.
another WTF eh? they told me to have that BAP jog to the maximum, and guess what my MPG has been since then?
I'm so tired of Troyer

I contacted JDM and paid them to do another custom tune, they also told me (along as the last dyno place I went to) to remove that BAP.

I wanted to say that between JDM and Troyer this is day a night
Troyer will reply to my emails (after multiple follow ups) every 3+ weeks or so
JDM will reply to my emails within minutes..

Jim sold me an under drive 4lbs pulley, and told me to disconnect that BAP once his tune is on, I can't wait to do that since I got that BAP and Troyer tune my fuel efficiency has been worse than ever, I'm talking about going from 10-11 mpg down to 6-8 mpg!

Troyer just replied to my 3 weeks old email and told me that's the way it is and as long as I feel a difference with the tune that this should be enough, he told me that I'm not an expert in this field so I just rely on them, great, just great.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Yea troyer is an idiot. Vmp likes boost a pumps. It depends on tuners. Some won't tune for meth injection while others will. Same with BAP

Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Good to know. I went to a local tuner with a good reputation and they started talking BAP. I know about enough to be dangerous, but even I thought, like, "What, overdrive the s**t out of the pump instead of install a larger pump? That sounds goofy."

When I first got my 5.4 truck I was disappointed with hp (weren't we all?) and started looking at Troyer performance packages. He has this big racket going with all these "upgrades," like aftermarket COPs and so forth, and then I talk to people who are running 600 rwhp trucks and they're telling me, no, stay stock on COPs or you'll be very sorry, stay stock on exhaust manifolds unless you either want to waste money or are building for Big Power, etc, etc.

Then I read a long thread by a guy who is about ready to commit homicide over a long series of very bad experiences with Troyer e-fan controllers and customer service..........

The picture does not seem to be a good one.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 AM
PS-- I am taking my time putting together an Eaton/L conversion for my '03 FX4 truck. On Mad Mike Dunn's advice I'm going with a single 255 Walbro (he thought 340 was too much for my rather humble hp goals, and likely to cause problems having to do with fuel return, or rather lack of). Originally Mike didn't think it necessary, but the mechanic and tuner I am dealing with both prefer that I use '97 fuel rails and adjustable fuel pressure regulator (presumably Aeromotive), so I am going with those as well. I guess I am shooting for about 100 hp over stock.....(Sorry for thread hijack. Thought it was relevant to the subject matter, though......)

k9dr

Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Troyers service and rep have steadily gone down hill over the past few years. He knows a lot thats for sure. I have refrered him to numerous folks only to regret it. They either end up with tunes they hate or wait forever. It's a damn shame. JDM is the way to go.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Very interesting, Crash. I dig your long posts! I learn a lot. Still not totally sure I understand the return/returnless issue and the "big-pump" limits for my FX4 (I get it loud and clear you don't think my single 255 is big enough), but I read the post fast. I'll study at length later.

k9dr

Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No complaints about Mike Troyer from me. Look in sig for mods. He tuned for it. All this on a stock block.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Fuel Pump

Hey, Crash!

Went back and read your post again, got some questions to make sure I have it right:

1. What is FORE? I assume its a perf shop, but I'm not familiar with it.

2. So, to make dead sure, my '03 2-valve indeed has a fuel system with a return line (Ford didn't go returnless until 3-valves in '04 or '05 or whatever), and the return system is capable of handling a pump with WAY more capacity than 255 Walbro, even up to the 420 lph Walbro pump?

3. Safe to assume the best setup for me (because my truck is NA with one in-tank fuel pump) is to install a single pump, rather than the OEM L setup with 2 255's? Or do they use 2 pumps for redundancy/safety?

4. What brand pump do you recommend? I want the most reliable unit I can get. The FORE guy recommended the 420 Walbro?

5. '97 rails and Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator better way to go than stock L fuel rails and pressure regulator?

My NA truck has about 162K on it. My plan is to slap Eaton M112 on it and boost it to 8 lb, maybe 10 (I've got a stock L upper pulley, and a HD upper, and a 2# lower, so I think that means I can do 8 or 10 lbs boost depending on which upper I choose) drive it like a Grandma, and see how long it lasts. Once it blows, I'll go slightly built to get reliability, but despite the addictive properties of boost, I am unlikely to go for big horsepower. I think between 400 and 500 rwhp will be fine for me. Stock 5.4 produces 270 or 300 rwhp, right?

k9dr

Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM
My FX4 2007 has a Ford GT fuel pump and Boost-a-pump for about 2 years, it works great and have had no problems, and my truck is daily driver. To spare'm buying Lethal Performance for "improved GT Supercar Walbro fuel pump" and I will continue with the BAP. I do not understand and I'm not sure if higher flow pump without the BAP would work better than this Ford GT pump and BAP. I have my doubts. Booking when I have no pressure gauge to measure the fuel at WOT, at 125 mph I have noticed no difference in acceleration or temperature increases, of course, at that speed are just seconds, but at speeds of 100-110 mph my truck moves very well. I have a boost of 8 psi and perhaps, not being very committed not present a demand very large, perhaps, in the future, when up to 10-11 psi I think higher flow pump and injectors 60. Now, without intention to steal this post, and apologizing in advance ask was reading a post on this forum and I emerged the doubt, I can install 60-pound injectors keeping 8 psi? , I`ll have some benefit? Understand that I must change the tuning, but I'll get?. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Is a boost a pump bad?