Accufab Throttle Body Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Accufab Throttle Body Swap

I did some testing a few weeks back and found vacuum in my Whipple inlet. The Whipple inlet is bigger and flows better than my BBK 80mm TB so this is quite concerning. Just how much power am I losing to this choke in the system. 1 inch HG of vaccum cost a half psi of boost and I measured a peak of 2 lnches vaccum.

All of this got me looking for other options. I love what RossFX4 is doing with the huge tb but it's far more then I will ever need. I found a 90MM unit by Ford that flows 1132CFM and requires tuning. I also found an 84.5mm tb made by Accufab for Ford Motorsports and Accufabs name for the 2011-12 5.0GT. It flows 1183CFM. It arrived today. It is an amazing piece measuring 95mm at the inlet and 84.5mm at the back. A nice bell shape so it should flow well and it requires a 4" intake tract. I have no idea if it will work from a wiring/ECM stand point. It will bolt on with no problem and as I suspected thanks to the redesigned drive by wire will not need to mount upside down.

Stock vs Accufab

Last edited by twinskrewd; 04-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Ross I had to post this one. Loved the shot of yours with the lighter in it.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
nice

Old 04-05-2013, 12:33 AM
That looks beautiful. Real deal for sure! Allot bigger than I thought. (Cig lighter looks lost)

What's with the newer drive? Looks compact, what about the TPS? Same pattern? By the looks of it, those #80's might get there chance with a flow'y intake track! The wiring/ECM differences should iron out I imagine.

Thanks for the complements on the intake, it ain't perfect but it should function. I will probably encounter more drivability problems with the oval SBTB.

Keep us up dated on any progress / parts as you go.

Oh and your allot better photographer than me.

Last edited by Ross-FX4; 04-05-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks fellas. It is a nice looking piece. Paid $492 for it with a holiday discount. Still more then I wanted to spend but it has the motor and TPS built in and due to it's slim design will mount on the Whipple properly verses turning it upside down as is needed with the Stock or BBK piece.

The Accufab unit uses the new drive by wire and tps sensor all in one as on the new 2011+ ustang GT. I was under the impression from an email from Accufab that it would use the TPS I have and this was just the motor. My misunderstanding. So I went to Ford and ordered the 6 pin plug and harness from a 2011 GT $58.
Keep in mind my truck uses the 2pin plug for the motor and a 4 pin plug for the TPS. I obtained a wiring schmatic for the GT and my 07 truck and have cross referenced all the wires. So fingers crossed the voltage tables are the same for TP1 & TP2 and this thing will work. As I'm typing this I got a call from the stealership that the harness has arrived. I'll be leaving work early today

Last edited by twinskrewd; 04-05-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
I hear ya Crash. The physical fit and finish will be a breeze. Even the wiring won't be difficult since I have the diagram for both vehicles. The only issue I see is if the new style TPS sends some other type of signal or voltage to the PCM verses the 0-5v that is sent now. If thats the case this project is dead. More to come good or bad. Happy Friday to all.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 04-05-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 PM
So the fit and finish is just fine. A little milling on the side of the Whipple rear intake a d went on without a hitch right side up. Would have fit upside down with no issue.

Wiring. I have no idea why but nothing I do with the wiring is working. The slighest touch of the peddle and she goes WOT or nothing happens at all. The wiring on my stock plug does not match the diagram from Ford. The colors match but not the order. Go figure. So I've been trying all different combinations to no avail.

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Oh. Dont know what to say fella?

What's the TB ment to fit on? 5.0 Mustang?

Pull it and return for full refund?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Cool thanks Crash.

Ross right now my plan os to call Ford tech on Monday and see what they say. They actually make a jumper wire kit that will allow the older throttle body and TPS like we have to be used on a new Mustang so I don't see any reason this can't work the other way.

If all else fails I'll send it back and order the 90mm Ford unit and try it.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Sweet!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Crash!
You didn't mention the jumper... A simple solution to a complex problem... LOL!

The jumper allows the new Mustang with it's single 6pin plug to use the 90MM tb that looks like ours and has seperate motor and tps thus making it a two plug set up. It's no different then following the wiring diagram routing our two plugs in to a single plug.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM
So here's the latest. The 84.5mm Accufab will fit and can be wired up. It will require tuning to calibrate it to function properly. All this means is the sob is going back in the box and back for a refund. I will be f'd if I'm gonna drive 400+ miles one way and spend bookoo bucks for dyno time to get this done. Sorry to disappoint.

When I go built and actually need a tune I will do this mod but I'm not forking out the kind of money it will take just to get a throttle body calibrated.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
So here's the latest. The 84.5mm Accufab will fit and can be wired up. It will require tuning to calibrate it to function properly. All this means is the sob is going back in the box and back for a refund. I will be f'd if I'm gonna drive 400+ miles one way and spend bookoo bucks for dyno time to get this done. Sorry to disappoint.

When I go built and actually need a tune I will do this mod but I'm not forking out the kind of money it will take just to get a throttle body calibrated.
Well that's a shame mate.

Good idea to wait until the forged bottom end goes in. Then it's 2 birds, 1 stone.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Here's what I did end up with. April 2013. Did away with Whipple intake completly and installed a 4" system to go along with my custom built CAI.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Looks great. Where did you get the pipe from?

And this is working with the old TB? (Looks like it)

Quick Reply: Accufab Throttle Body Swap