Saleen blower-oil leak-front seal is shot-help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saleen blower-oil leak-front seal is shot-help

I have an 07 harley with this blower, the front is shot and leaking oil, there is no kit to rebuild, my options are below, or am open to suggestions from you guys:

Return to stock-hell no

buy another saleen blower-same problem will happen most likely, anyone else experienced this problem with this blower?

Buy a whipple-thinking my best bet-what would be a good estimate on an install for this charger?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None of the above. When my whipple leaked oil out the front seal I got a new seal from whipple which was easy to install. I would contact JDM and see if they cant get you a new seal and S/C oil or see if they can get you going in the right direction. No way would I spend 5 grand to fix a $30 problem.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Call JDM or Saleen...

Or send it to steigemeier for a port job and rebuild.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Saleen was no help

I don't have a whipple, i have the saleen blower that came on the truck, i know that whipple makes kits to rebuild their blowers but saleen and they said they don't have a part to fix it-no kit to rebuild the blower, does this sound right.

I'm not the one that called, they guy doing the work on my truck did, he called to get the correct plugs and servicing info that was supposed to be done on it. This guy has shot me straight all the way so i took his word about what saleen said.

So you guys are telling me that there is a kit to rebuild a saleen blower for my truck?

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
The Saleen blower is a whipple blower with a custom case. Contact Bob at Stiegemeier to see what he would charge to service the blower.

http://stiegemeier.com/index.html

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
It's a whipple with a custom case?-so it is a whipple?

If it's a whipple, how come the seals and kits to fix them aren't available?

I called jdm and they referred me to the only guy in the country that can rebuild this blower, that's is what i was just told.

What do you think?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Whipple and Saleen share the same 2.3L blower. However the cases are different and I dont know if any of the seals interchange. I was simply stating what I did with my whipple was replace the seal myself. I would follow JDMs advice assuming Bob at Stiegemeier cannot do it.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Got it! Thanks for the help guys, thought i was stuck having to find a second hand blower (2-3k) and then get it put on, even more.

This guy will do the job for about 900 plus 400 for a rush order, how much do you guys think is reasonable for a shop to charge to take it off so i can ship it and then put it back on.

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM
wow that price is insane! I would call up Stiegemeier before you go any further. 1300 for a seal is to much in my opinion. Time wise I honestly dont know. All data doesnt show me a supercharger on a 5.4... It says 4.2 hours for a standard intake, I dont know how exactly a Saleen blower bolts up as my whipple is 4 bolts and off, but if you have to take the intake off I would expect 4-5 hours atleast.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
From what my shop guy told me the saleen blower is a pain in the *** to take off. He also said that a lot of these saleen blowers have the same problem, the front seal go's, he said it's just a real ****ty design. He is strongly suggesting getting a whipple and not bothering rebuilding my saleen. I honestly don't know how long this thing has been leaking, there could be some real damage to the blower, bearings-the whole lot. The 900 is for a complete remanufacturing job. Are you or anyone aware of this being a common problem with these saleen blowers, i just don't want to be in the same position 30k from now ya know.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Call Stiegemeier and see what they say on new seals for it. I would honestly if they will do it, have them put new seals, bearings (due to unknown leak time) and port it. They should do that and youll be well under the 5 grand for a Whipple. If you have any buddys with tools pulling an intake off the 5.4 is not all the hard and can easily be done in a day or two depending on your skills.

If your located near Mesa Arizona I can pull it off for you

Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
The total i'm looking at right now is about 1800. 900 for the work with this guy to rebuild it, 400 for the rush, and 500 for him to take off the charger and reinstall it. I'm only about 3 hours from this guy, i'm in dallas, and steigermeir is in missouri. From the prices on steigers website it would be about the same. I really don't have any tools or buds around here, or the time for that matter to do anything. I did find a used whipple with 26k on it and talked the guy down to 2k for the whole kit. In your opinion what would be the best course of action, rebuild the saleen, or get a used whipple, i know the whipple route will be a bit more, but is the saleen blower worth saving?

Thanks man, i appreciate the knowledge

Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by SHURST
The total i'm looking at right now is about 1800. 900 for the work with this guy to rebuild it, 400 for the rush, and 500 for him to take off the charger and reinstall it. I'm only about 3 hours from this guy, i'm in dallas, and steigermeir is in missouri. From the prices on steigers website it would be about the same. I really don't have any tools or buds around here, or the time for that matter to do anything. I did find a used whipple with 26k on it and talked the guy down to 2k for the whole kit. In your opinion what would be the best course of action, rebuild the saleen, or get a used whipple, i know the whipple route will be a bit more, but is the saleen blower worth saving?

Thanks man, i appreciate the knowledge
The Saleen blower will produce a bit more torque by design over the whipple.

I personally would just rebuild the saleen. If you do decide to sell the Saleen let me know...

Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 AM
It is not that hard to remove/install the Saleen (it's bulky, awkward & heavy), but if you do not have any mechanical skills, I would not suggest doing it. As far as what route to take, that's a toss-up, I'd personally try to get the Saleen fixed first. If you didn't already have the Saleen, I'd say Whipple but...that's your choice. The Whipple will not only cost you the initial lay out, but the installation and anything that pops up during the switch from one to another.

Just my opinion!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 AM
That's what i want to do, do you know if this is a common problem with these saleens? I bought this truck second hand so i have no idea how it was treated before i got it, if i get this saleen rebuilt, is there anything i can do besides regular maintenance to stop this from happening again. And is the price of 1800 turn key outragous? Thanks

Quick Reply: Saleen blower-oil leak-front seal is shot-help