Question about the Whipple/Ford Racing kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the Whipple/Ford Racing kit

I have a question about the Whipple/Ford Racing kit. Is the supercharger boosting all the time, or does the truck drive like stock until you get on it? When I had my Lightning, it would drive like a normal truck until I punched it. It made it a little easier on gas mileage. I'm considering the Whipple for my 2008 King Ranch, and just want to know what to expect.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by _Flea_
I have a question about the Whipple/Ford Racing kit. Is the supercharger boosting all the time, or does the truck drive like stock until you get on it? When I had my Lightning, it would drive like a normal truck until I punched it. It made it a little easier on gas mileage. I'm considering the Whipple for my 2008 King Ranch, and just want to know what to expect.
Its the same no boost to about 60% or more unless you have a custom tune.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing will make boost all the time as it wont spin enough RPMs to do so. (Although some turbo kits you can rig them up to make boost at idle) Anyway, my truck makes boost maybe 1-3lbs depending on how hard I push the throttle. Just because you cannot hear the blower doesn't mean its not making boost. Daily easy driving I can keep it at a few inches of vaccum from boost. My normal driving habbits itll make about a pound or so upon acceleration. MPG wise I would say it probably just about the same as stock.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
Its the same no boost to about 60% or more unless you have a custom tune.
Excellent. So if I went through a tank of gas and never got on it, I shouldn't see a decrease in my gas mileage from what I have now, right? That makes me feel even better about gettin' a supercharger.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Nothing will make boost all the time as it wont spin enough RPMs to do so. (Although some turbo kits you can rig them up to make boost at idle) Anyway, my truck makes boost maybe 1-3lbs depending on how hard I push the throttle. Just because you cannot hear the blower doesn't mean its not making boost. Daily easy driving I can keep it at a few inches of vaccum from boost. My normal driving habbits itll make about a pound or so upon acceleration. MPG wise I would say it probably just about the same as stock.
And that pretty much answers my last post. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Excellent. So if I went through a tank of gas and never got on it, I shouldn't see a decrease in my gas mileage from what I have now, right? That makes me feel even better about gettin' a supercharger.
I got between 16 and 17 mpg highway (65-75 mph) prior to the install. I now get between 16 and 17 mpg highway after the install. BUT is like the old Fox-body Mustang I had-average mpg would be as high as 24-25 and as low as 8-10.

If you like to hear the whistle/whine (and you will ) your mpg will take a hit.

With the cruise set at 70, the only time I hear the bypass valve closing is on steep hills/extended grades.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by wrenchbender
I got between 16 and 17 mpg highway (65-75 mph) prior to the install. I now get between 16 and 17 mpg highway after the install. BUT is like the old Fox-body Mustang I had-average mpg would be as high as 24-25 and as low as 8-10.

If you like to hear the whistle/whine (and you will ) your mpg will take a hit.

With the cruise set at 70, the only time I hear the bypass valve closing is on steep hills/extended grades.
And that's what killed me with the Lightning. I liked that whine.

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I have no idea why lightning gets such bad gas mileage...

My buddy's 02 L with bolt ons gets best 13-14mpg on the highway.. Where as my 04 truck usually sees 18-19mpg

Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
I have no idea why lightning gets such bad gas mileage...

My buddy's 02 L with bolt ons gets best 13-14mpg on the highway.. Where as my 04 truck usually sees 18-19mpg
I used to get 14-16 on the highway with my '02 also. I'm not sure why either, since the cruise would be set. All I had was a cat-back exhaust and CAI. Even after addin' a Diablo tuner, it didn't really improve much.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I used to get 14-16 on the highway with my '02 also. I'm not sure why either, since the cruise would be set. All I had was a cat-back exhaust and CAI. Even after addin' a Diablo tuner, it didn't really improve much.
I honestly think it's the 2 valve head design. Those heads just didn't flow good so the engine suffered.

The best ported 2 valve heads don't flow what our 3 valve heads do stock. Hell even the ported trick flows barely beat out bone stock 3 valve heads.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM
16-17hwy on mine. Bone stock was 18.3 max. Heavier wheels and tires are certainly part of the decrease. At 60-70mph I maintain about 10lbs of vac.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 PM
I wonder how much more efficient the saleen charger is than the whipple. They're essentially the same blower the saleen is just inverted. Looks like I might be getting a ported saleen 3liter blower that's already ported off of a mustang. Just have to buy the adapter plates to make it work.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jwool15
I wonder how much more efficient the saleen charger is than the whipple. They're essentially the same blower the saleen is just inverted. Looks like I might be getting a ported saleen 3liter blower that's already ported off of a mustang. Just have to buy the adapter plates to make it work.
I doubt it's really more efficient. I just have a regular cab truck and "lightweight" wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: Question about the Whipple/Ford Racing kit