JL vs. JBL

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JL vs. JBL

Are these two speakers different or the same company, and which one is the best, I always seem to get confused, when people say one, I think of the other.

Old 03-04-2002, 04:55 PM
they're differnt companies.......and JL is better. (at least i think)

Old 03-05-2002, 12:38 AM
extremely and completely different. JBL used to be one of the better home speaker makers. JL has always been forefront (among many notable others) with car audio, particular woofs.

Old 03-05-2002, 08:40 AM
I've owned both brands in different vehicles and there is no comparison.
JL without a doubt are much more accurate speakers. We used joke that JBL stands for Just Be Loud. For many years, JL produced only subwoofers for car audio. For many years, they set the industry standard. I believe last year was the first time they ventured into full range speakers (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). I installed two sets of XR570CX's in my new truck and would have to say that they outperform my previous ones, hands down. My previous speakers being Canton and MB Quart, awesome products in their own right.

JBL, on the other hand, is more known for their studio monitors and home audio. They used to build very nice speakers, but lately, when I look at their stuff, I'm not as impressed as I used to be. Anyone remember the old HPM-100's (showing my age!).
They survived many a kegger!

I'm not sure what JBL is doing what their car audio these days, but they've never really been know as one of the leaders. But, if loud is what you want.............

Clem

Old 03-05-2002, 08:54 AM
JBL, Polk, Harmon Kardon, Bose, Nakamichi, McIntosh, Infiniti, Alpine ... - all the great names of the 70s-80s have gone mass-market. They still build some really good products, but they also build some real crap. You can't just assume that because it has the name it's quality hardware.

JL stuff appears to be very well made. IMO it's a definite cut above JBL.

Old 03-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Angry Rant Time

JL Audio is a marketing company. They make your average plastic cone, foam suround, overhung, stamped basket subwoofers. Their amps are proudly made in Asia. Their speakers are overpriced just like everything else they make.

They have just recently gotten into the massively overpriced market with the w7. This sub is a glorified w3 with a more exotic look and materials. Definitly not worth the massive markup they expect. Good sub tho.

I don't know what you mean by JL has always been at the forefront. They haven't done much in the way of developing anything new in the way of loudspeakers or amplifiers. Their subwoofers use ancient materials (baring w7). Its nice to finally see them use a cast basket after all these years. Maybe one day we will even see a copper faraday, ferrofluid, an underhung coil, or maybe...just maybe...a reasonably priced product (yeah, I know i'm dreaming now).

Not saying JL sucks. I've used and sold many a JL product. Not worth the $$.

Old 03-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Deus, for the thorough trashing of our opinions. You have convincingly discredited us, but what you haven't done is answered the question posed. Are you a JBL guy? If not, then what do you spend you hard earned car audio dollars on?

You know, I'm always looking to learn from those who know more and you clearly have a vast knowledge of what goes into building a good sub. So perhaps you could lead us to an alternative to the " JL Audio Mistake"! I'm always looking to trade up.

For the record, I have no experience with JL's amps, just their overpriced, glorified, average subwoofers - 10W-6's specifically.

Old 03-07-2002, 03:29 PM
wow, first time I have heard a JL flame!

I personally love their amps. I listened to many amps in the same price range, and the JL amps seem to have much better response and fullness. Heck, they were designed by an ex-Xtant engineer. If JL is so bad, why are they still being used competitively and winning?

Old 03-08-2002, 05:21 PM
JL Subs are hands down the best. I have them in all 3 of my vehicles and as a custom sub for my home theater.

If you don't think the new W7's are that impressive, you haven't heard one. They aren't even close to resembling a W3, so you must not have seen them.

Old 03-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Hey Deus,

What mfg's do you like????

Old 03-10-2002, 01:27 AM
Deus, show me please how many amps are NOT made on foreign soil. JL is just a marketing company. Hate to tell you this, but the majority of the companies are just that. Many companies are under a larger banner. DEI for instance owns what like 5 car audio companies? JL makes a good product.

The w7 is new in many ways. Sorry but it is not a glorified w3. The w3 is much better in many ways compared to the old w6. Most speaker companies have not changed much in the last few years. For example CV stroker has been around for nearly 30 years. The only thing that has changed really is the voice coil configuration.

I will admit that the w7 is very expensive, but it is at the forefront of technology. Is this really any different than chevy building a corvette and then using the trickle down effect later as the technology becomes cheaper and easier to integrate?

JL amps not at the forefront? How many other amps develop rated power at such a range of impedances? None sorry JL is the only one.

I will give you that there are others on the market now for cheaper for comparable sound quality, but not many can match JL service and expertise. Please do your homework b4 posting nonsense next time. It will be greatly appreactied and you won't look the part of the fool. Thank you

Old 03-10-2002, 11:34 AM
Take a Quaalude, Deus. You not only trash our opinions, but trip all over your own. You spit all over JL, then end up saying: "Not a bad sub, tho".
Perhaps you could direct us to one of those "ferrofluid" subs that isn't overpriced. Also, if JL has used better materials in their W7, why shouldn't that command a heftier price tag? Sorry you don't like the price.

I would agree with Isaiah: What sub company ISN'T into marketing, Deus? Do you think the best subs will sit on shelves in plain black boxes waiting for customers to select them? How would YOU promote a product that has better materials, improved sound and voice coil production so customers will buy them? I don't suppose you'd stoop to advertising or flashy promotions meant to catch the eye the biggest market segment that buys subwoofers. Who do you think makes up the majority of that segment, Deus?

How about it, Deus? Which subs are far superior at the same price point of the JL, and why? Perhaps you would enlighten us. Obviously we are not worthy.

Last edited by sundog7; 03-10-2002 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:33 PM
fwiw - I always look at how a company reports its amp values to judge quality. If they advertise "600W" on their amp, yet cite "50W RMS at .5% THD" I think "garbage". This is the same game any manufacturer plays with their specs - pump up your only strength in a flattering way. OTOH, if a manufacturer lists "120W RMS at 0.08% THD from 1-4ohm at 12V" I respect the hell out of them. Maybe they are lying, but at least they are blatant about it. I'll bet they are being honest.

I've seen and listened to JL product. I come away impressed. From my ears, they are being honest. It costs more, but you get what you pay for. Sure, you may find better, but IMHO JL is priced correctly.

Quick Reply: JL vs. JBL