component set crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
component set crossover?

Going to install my component set tomorrow and I was wondering where the best place would be to mount and place crossover in my 99 f150? As soon as I can get these door panels off I'm putting speakers in factory locations. I was wondering since I want the small cross overs out of sight if I could place them inside the door panel in between interior panel and door? I was thinking I could just lay them inside there or would there be any problems with that? I also am afraid in removing door panels for the fear of breaking clips. Is there a certain way to remove the door panels? I'd love to know. Thank you guys so much for your opinions. Oh and one more thing, I'm thinking of purchasing another component set for rear doors. Would you guys buy another component or just go with factory sized coaxial rear door speakers? Thank you again. I appreciate all the info you guys have.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Putting the c/o's in the door panel is no problem if they stay dry. For the rears, unless you have very picky rear passengers, stick with coaxials, save the money for something that really matters.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks a lot I appreciate it bro

Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Inside the door panel is fine, I would use a wire tie or something to secure it otherwise the rattle will drive you nuts. I have alpines in my truck and mine are screwed to the door.

As storm said, coaxials are all you need for the rear - anything more is 100% overkill.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I also recommend putting the crossovers in the door...reason being ...it makes the install easier. You basically only have to then route one set of speaker wires into the door, and then from the corssover you can go to the mids and tweets.

You can use industrial velcro to mount the crossover to your door card also.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Good idea fellas all is appreciated

Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I would not put them in the doors. Doors are prone to moisture, its just good practice not to put them there. I would put them behind the kick panels, under the front seat, or behind the back seat near the amps.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 AM
ok i was afraid to put em in the doors, but how much moisture is prone there? quite a bit? i agree immensly with what your saying though mSaLL150. You know i think the kick panels you mentioned will be a good place. I'm trying to hide everything.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I would not put them in the doors. Doors are prone to moisture, its just good practice not to put them there. I would put them behind the kick panels, under the front seat, or behind the back seat near the amps.
I'll have to disagree. The mouisture barrier keeps 99% out. I've had MB quart crossover in Honda doors for years (8-9) with no mouisture damage at all. I've also had Boston Pro x'overs in Toyoto doors for 6-7 years....no issue. Also mounting them in the kick panel just means you will now have to run 2 sets of speaker wires through the door jamb. If running the wires is easy for you, then i'd suggest putting them in the kick. If yuo have to go through a Molex plug there. Routing one set is a lot easier, so mount it in the door

Old 12-25-2010, 11:43 AM
cool well i wanted to simply hide everything, ill look in my door panels and see if i can see any moisture. both of you have some weight to what you are saying. i appreciate all of your info and suggestions regardless. thank you....

Old 12-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Timelessr1
I'll have to disagree. The mouisture barrier keeps 99% out. I've had MB quart crossover in Honda doors for years (8-9) with no mouisture damage at all. I've also had Boston Pro x'overs in Toyoto doors for 6-7 years....no issue. Also mounting them in the kick panel just means you will now have to run 2 sets of speaker wires through the door jamb. If running the wires is easy for you, then i'd suggest putting them in the kick. If yuo have to go through a Molex plug there. Routing one set is a lot easier, so mount it in the door
FWIW, I swapped my midbass speakers last week and when I pulled them out of the doors they had water droplets on them. I guess I should say "in my personal experience" it is best to keep them out of the doors.

Sure, the easy way out is to run less wire and put the crossovers in the doors. I'd much rather take the extra 20 minutes to run 2 lines of wire through and do it properly than to promote any chance of water damage to my equipment. We all have our own opinions.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't like xovers in the doors because if they're not mounted just right they will eventually rattle. Maybe it doesn't happen to most but I myself am a heavy handed kinda guy so having the door slam can be a shock to the xover. Some xovers have adjustability so being mounted being the panels is going to hinder me toying with the settings as well.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:40 PM
i see exactly what you fellas mean, i am thinking now im going to need a good 4 channel amp at about 100 watts RMS X 4 to run my components in the front and back. I was essentially going to run them off of my headunit but each side of the components wants 90 watts rms and like 270 peak each side. I'll have two component sets for front of the cab and even going a component set in the rear of the cab as well.. I'm thinking if i ran them off my headunit it would just be a waste of time and ill be adding an amp anyways. Im actually trying to find and am in the market for a good amp to push them. havent seen much in the classifieds but if anyone has something lemme know...

Old 12-26-2010, 12:18 AM
I drilled a hole in the corner of the map pocket on my door panel, pulled the wire through and mounted my crossovers in the map pocket in my doors with double sided tape. No moisture and I can get to the crossovers easy if I want to adjust the sound.

Quick Reply: component set crossover?