Regular Cab Sub Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular Cab Sub Setup

After searching long and hard to find a sub setup in a regular cab that i liked, and to no findings, i decided to go ahead and make my own. I got the idea from the member inbred on here if anyone remembers what that setup looked like. The box ended up being a little taller than what i had anticipated but what can yah do. The center armrest is still fully functional and it sounds awesome! On to the pics!

As you can tell in the pics carpeting isn't quite my forte but for being behind the seat it looks ok enough for me. The wiring is still a mess as i need to get a new wiring kit as a whole and re route it all under the carpet back there and up the backside of the box for a cleaner install. Let me know what you all think!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
That looks like a lottt of airspace for one 10 sealed? Or is that 12? Either way.

Port that baby. And think about getting a better sub!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM
its a 12 and yeah i def need a better sub for sure. but being a poor college student for the time being this gets the job done til i can save a few paychecks lol

Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I gotcha. Seriously, I would look into the specs on porting it though. Looks like you have more than enough air space. All it would take is a piece of PVC and some sealant.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
That's a big box, what's the airspace? And why downfiring?

If its around 2 ft^3 or more you could probably get away with adding a 4" port for more output and lowend... a cheaper alternative than buying a new sub.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the setup but I feel bad for anyone sitting in the passenger seat.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

To most people, sealed sounds best. If you're going to retain a sealed enclosure, you could reduce the amount of airspace by ALOT! This would enable your subwoofer to handle a bit more power, sound tighter, as well as your passengers feeling a bit more comfortable. However, if you want greater output, you can easily add a port. For now, nice setup! Sony doesn't make the world's greatest equipment, but they do pass as something I can enjoy. Right on man!

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 PM
sealed box is better if you dont like hiphop. If you want your system to really slap then ported is better

Old 04-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Truckkinggg
sealed box is better if you dont like hiphop. If you want your system to really slap then ported is better
Sealed and ported have different responses, volumes, and rolloffs. Stating that one design is meant for certain styles of music is really an old wive's tale. I only run sealed in my setups and I listen to hip hop every so often just because I prefer the sound and linearity of a sealed enclosure over a ported one. You are right on one thing though, ported slaps a hell of a lot louder than sealed, but won't give you the lower frequencies unless you build the box to a certain frequency in which you'll need a huge box, a huge port, and lots of space.

And to the OP, I just noticed your box is sealed, downfiring, and totally enclosed around the baffle. I take it you don't get lots of bass? You might want to get a box that has an open area for the woofer to send the bass into the cab.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Haveing a standard cab, and going through my 3rd build now, that looks terrible. Why would you totally muffle the sub like that. You kinda have 3 options, front rear and downfireing.
Front gives you the best use of space, but blasts the speaker into the seat and not great for whomever is sitting in front of it. You can easily do a cube behind the seats, and still have a decent recline and back pretty far.

You can fit 2, .88ish downfire boxes behind each seat and still hide them and not give up any more space then front fireing. If you can find 5/8 mdf you can almost get a cube.

Rearfireing if you dont care about them coming from behind the seats you could do 1 maybe 2 rearfiring behind the passenger seats and mount the amps behind the driver seat.

Maybe bigger because u gutted the back area, i refused to do that and wanted to keep all the stock trim.

You build quality looks decent, dont be afraid of doing angles. The way the seats are shaped you cant do a square box. You have to do a wedge to max space available.

Quick Reply: Regular Cab Sub Setup